Author Topic: Murder Mystery  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Murder Mystery
« on: March 08, 2007, 10:45:46 AM »
Okay, so it's the end of the year and lessons are on a special schedual.  I've been trying to think up an idea to do with my random classes.  I thought having a murder mystery would be a fun and decently challenging activity to do.  The only problem is I'm not sure how to impliment this idea.  All the murder mysteries I've seen are more like skits or plays, and I don't think that will work.

I want it to be like Clue where they must figure out who, where, when, and what.  I'd play the investigator and the class will be split up into teams.  The story is that Mr. Rich McRichardson was holding a dinner party, he invites five people, but then...he's murdered!  All five people claim innocence, but each had a motive to kill McRichardson.  Or something along those lines. 

The problem I'm having is how to get the clues out to people and how many clues to give so that they can figure out the mystery before class ends. 

I might make a list of clues that each team gets at the beginning of the game, like in Clue, so they know who didn't do it, where it didn't happen, etc.

I was thinking asking each team a question and if they get it write they get to look at another team's clue or ask me a question about the case.  If they answer an especially hard question they can get a piece of evidence to look at.

This is still a rough idea, but my JTE liked it so I'm going to work on it.  Any suggestions would be great. 

Offline Beth

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Murder Mystery
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
You can do it exactly like the Clue game. Except, each team has a character name. Draw the board on the blackboard, or make a big board and get fuzzy dice. It would be great if you could take pictures of different teachers and label them "Mrs. Scarlett" "Colnel Mustard"etc.. for each team. Real murder weapons would be great too...rope, toy gun, wrench... It might be time consuming to prepare, but I think visuals/manipulatives help with understanding.
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I'm smarter than you and by the end of the night, I'll probably spill my drink in your lap.

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
So I made waaay too much for one class.  So it made things complicated.  I went back and simplified it as I had too many factors before.  I figured that since I had a class with 40 students I'd need more rooms, murder weapons, etc.  But too many factors meant it took much longer to finish the game.  Which we didn't do.   :cry:

Anyway, I have the map I used (I crossed a lot of things out with white out as they are house blueprints :-D), the cards (I didn't have the time to jazz them up, so they are a little plain), the detective sheet, and my rules.  I also scribbled on a piece of paper, made copies of it, and stapled them to the backs of the cards so you couldn't see through them.

Like Clue(do), I picked the who, where, what, cards and put them in an envlope.  I also added a when card to the mix.  The rules are each group can take a guess each turn (then move to each group to see if they have any of those cards, like in Clue) and answer a question each turn.  I printed out two sets of cards and if they guessed the question right they could pull two random cards to look at.  Moving around the board to take guesses just complicated things, so I abandoned it.

Unfortunately, all the first year classes got canceled in the afternoon due to sickness (which must be a lot because there are 270ish first years :-o), so I can't test out my new simplified version.

The kids seemed interested in it once it became clear to them.  But I confused them greatly in the beginning.  I feel like this would make a nice game to play in English Club.

Things to look out for:
Make sure they understand that the cards they have/see are not the answer.  And that they are making guesses to try to figure out the answer.
They need to be quiet about the cards they have.  Though they get a good laugh when you tell them they just gave the class a free clue.

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »
It sounds like you've got a handle on it, but if you want I have the actual Clue board game you can borrow... if you can figure out how to use it for large classes.
I made up some great worksheets and used it in my elective class which only had 6 students. The perfect number.

Offline ladyrebeccaw

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
I made a different kind of clue game.  I gave each student a card that told then who they were, where they were the night before, what they were doing there, and who they were with.  One student's didn't match up with the other people he/she was supposedly with.  That person was the killer.  So everyone had to go around and ask each other "What's your name?" "Where were you last night?"  "What did you do last night?"  "Who were you with last night?" and write down the answers until they found the liar.  It worked out quite well and wasn't too difficult to make/explain.
It's like he's passing on the torch to a new generation of Dirty Dancing!

Offline Punji

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • POF! Yoshida for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
I made a different kind of clue game.  I gave each student a card that told then who they were, where they were the night before, what they were doing there, and who they were with.  One student's didn't match up with the other people he/she was supposedly with.  That person was the killer.  So everyone had to go around and ask each other "What's your name?" "Where were you last night?"  "What did you do last night?"  "Who were you with last night?" and write down the answers until they found the liar.  It worked out quite well and wasn't too difficult to make/explain.

I followed this plan. I made 42 suspect cards (1 per kid, plus 1 for me and 1 for my JTE), then for some of the suspects I made alternate cards so that I could switch between 7 different murderers (1 unique murderer per class). For the suspects I used names from the forum and from back home. I used places in Fujiyoshida as the places on the cards. I also drew/colored really cute little pictures on the cards. The card has the suspect's name at the top, then the picture and at the bottom I put a statement that contains their location, activity and the name of the people they were with. For example, Jess's card has a parfait on it and reads, "I was at Mascot having parfaits with Olivia."

In the in-class set up I don't say who was murdered, how they were murdered or why they were murdered. As homework I have the kids write a short (7-8 sentences) story that includes the who, why and how. I tell them that anyone can be murdered, George Washington, Kitty-chan...anyone. Usually they pick the other suspects, but I have gotten such gems Anpanman being drowned at an aquarium because someone couldn't eat anpan, and Mr. Bean getting axed because everyone loves him and no one loved the killer. Most kids will turn in something trite, but it is worth it to see victims come back as zombies and destroy the entire human population. :-D

It's also a lot of fun to hear the kids yelling out familiar names as they look for people to back up their alibis. Furedo! Furedo! Who Furedo? I am Bekusu!
I like my bentou like I like my boys...Korean, bitches!

I was about 30 seconds away from grabbing her by the back of the head and smashing her face into the window.