Author Topic: New ALTs 2007: Introduce yourselves here!  (Read 48037 times)

Long bearded Josh

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm Long Bearded Josh, & This is my personal text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.elimeyer.com/josh
New ALTs 2007: Introduce yourselves here!
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
Welcome all you newcomers! I am starting this becasue I love to meet the Newbies.

Feel free to introduce yourselves here!
Go Dumples!

LaurenRox

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • HoneyBee Manor
Re: New ALTs 2007: Introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
Ahoy! My name is Lauren. I am so clever with my Internet nicknames!

I'll be moving to your lovely prefecture in late July just after my 27th birthday! I'm originally from Pittsburgh, went to college in Nashville, and now live in Los Angeles. I come from a military family, so traveling is in my blood.

My current job is typing closed captioning, which is neat, but I'm ready to move on to my next career. I am an on-again/off-again stand-up comedian. I haven't done it in a few months, but I'd like to do it again before I leave. Maybe I can incorporate some Japan humor in it, and I'll post it on youtube as a shout-out to you all!

I've been trying to read up on past threads, and I think I might fit in pretty well with you guys. Can't wait to get there!

Oh, and my knowledge of Japanese consists of counting to 10 and saying "Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto." But I got Pimsleur, so I'm trying to cram!
≋✰ The More You Know

ladyrebeccaw

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
Did you go to Vandy?
It's like he's passing on the torch to a new generation of Dirty Dancing!

LaurenRox

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • HoneyBee Manor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58:02 PM »
Yes, ma'am! Go Dores!
≋✰ The More You Know

yeulih

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:10:39 AM »
Hello,

Another incoming Yamanashi JET. Prefectural.

I was born in Taiwain, have lived in Atlanta forever, went to college in upstate NY. Have been bumming on and off since I graduated 2 years ago.

I guess I will need to do lots of planning, once I lose this penchant for procrastination.

Cheers.

Long bearded Josh

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm Long Bearded Josh, & This is my personal text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.elimeyer.com/josh
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »
Where did you go to school?
Go Dumples!

yeulih

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
Cornell University. I hope the winters in Yamanashi aren't as bad as it is up there, because from what I've read building insulation is unheard of in Japan...  :-(

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:01:12 AM »
Insulation is indeed rare. A lot of people live under their Kotatsu but I must be the only person who lives without one.

There are tricks to insulating your appartment and minimising the cold. When winter comes round, give me a shout and i'll get into it for you.

Kitty Kat

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »
Cornell University. I hope the winters in Yamanashi aren't as bad as it is up there, because from what I've read building insulation is unheard of in Japan...  :-(

YOU WENT TO MY FAMILY'S SCHOOL, YEAH!  You automatically rock in my book now.  Unfortunately I won't be here to meet you.

Compared to Ithaca winters, Yamanashi is nothing.  Kiyosato at it's coldest might compare.  Insulation is unheard of but you learn to stay warm under heated tables, heated blankets, next to kerosene heaters and with your ac's heater cranked up.

Have someone introduce you to 4 Hearts.  It's one of the few places where you can get a bagel if you ever find yourself missing Collegetown Bagel.

mikine

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 03:00:20 AM »
Hello my name is Mikine Dezaki, and I will be teaching in Yamanashi-shi.  I am a nisei Japanese/American, but still need to study quite a bit of Japanese to become fluent.  I just graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Physiology .  I am originally from South Florida, but moved up to Minnesota to play ice hockey.  I have studied abroad in Hiroshima for a year, and am looking foward to coming back to Japan.  I have many interests... hockey, aikido, salsa/African dancing, meditation, philosophy, religion, cooking, veganism and karaoke.  I am looking foward to meeting you all. 

I was wondering if anyone can give me information on aikido dojo's and/or ice rinks around Yamanashi-shi.  I would like to coach ice hockey while im over there, and continue practicing aikido.  Also, I plan on climbing Mt. Fuji when I get there, so any info on that would be much appreciated as well.

Peace,
Mikine :mrgreen:

ladyrebeccaw

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
Hmm...okay I'll start with Fuji.  Every year there is an organized yeti Fuji climb.  It's usually the first week of September, which is the week after officially climbing season ends, which means that it's not as crowded so you're not walking up the  mountain in a line to the same extent as in the summer.  I don't know when this years will be, but I'm sure there will BE one at any rate.

As for aikido, I have heard that there is some good aikido further south in the ken, near Ichikawadaimon.  That's all I know about it, though.  I did karate (gojuryu) in Yamanashishi for a while and have a great dojo there.  When I came I wanted to do judo as I had done that back home, but ended up having fun learning karate.  If you're interested in doing the karate shoot me a pm and I'll give you the info on that dojo as I'll be gone before you get here.

As for ice rinks, the only one I know of is at Kose Sports Park.  I've never been there so I don't really know anything about it.  Sorry!

Megabn

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
there's also Ice Skating at Fuji-Q (right??) if you are placed down south.
Hi, you've reached Jimmy, if you can dream it, you can do it!

mikine

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »
Thank you for the help.  I appreciate it.  Where cities do you all work in?

ladyrebeccaw

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
Yeah there's a skating rink at Fuji-Q in the winter as well.  Don't know anything about it, though.  I work in Kasugai-cho, which is part of Fuefuki-shi.

mikine

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 02:43:41 AM »
I have a couple more questions:

When do new ALT's usually start working?  (I know the school year begins in Sept, but do we start work on the first day of school?)

How long does it take to get to Tokyo with a normal train?

How do male ALT's normally dress in school? (business casual? formal? casual?)

Thank you!

LaurenRox

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • HoneyBee Manor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 04:41:31 AM »
I've also been wondering about female ALT dress. I'm going on a shopping spree with my fashion-inclined cousin next weekend, and I'd like to know if it's more khaki+polo shirt attire or black slacks+button down shirt+jacket attire.
≋✰ The More You Know

ladyrebeccaw

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 09:16:49 AM »
That will depend on  your placement, so you'll need to ask your predecessor.  Some schools are more casual, with some teachers even showing up in track pants, others are more formal and the ALT wears a tie every day.  For me I generally wear slacks and a button down to jhs, jeans and a polo to elementary and nursery school.

As to starting school, for most placements (though not all) you will still have to come to school during summer holidays.  This first summer you may be at the board of education instead of your school, that depends on your contracing organization and what they want.  But either way, in all likelihood you will have to "work" this summer, though it basically just means showing up for a few hours every day.  Second semester starts in September, and I think most ALTs jump right in.  There may be a week of testing or something at the beginning, but once classes start, you're on.

To get to tokyo by normal train takes probably about 2 hours from Kofu, but, again, that depends on your placement.  From other places in the ken in only takes 30 mins, from others it takes at least 3 hours I'd say.

lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • If anyone needs me I'll be in the happy dome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »
I've also been wondering about female ALT dress. I'm going on a shopping spree with my fashion-inclined cousin next weekend, and I'd like to know if it's more khaki+polo shirt attire or black slacks+button down shirt+jacket attire.

I think polo shirts will only cut it in elementary schools. I recommend button shirts and short sleeves are OK! You`ll only need one nice black jacket for your first day or two and for ceremonies but otherwise it`ll sit at the back of your closet. Skirts at around the knees or below are OK, as far most trousers and capris aside from jeans or anything too informal (not sure about khakis... anyone tried this? No one in my office ever wears them).

Here`s my word of advice: if you are XS or S in America (S in Europe) and not too tall then you can find excellent deals on work clothes at Uniqlo, especially at around the time you`ll be arriving here. I ran around America stocking up on work shirts and pants and it was a bit of a waste for me cos I hit the local Uniqlo and found lots perfectly-fitting work shirts on clearance for 500-800 yen ($4-$7).  But I was glad that I brought enough clothes to get me by in the beginning.
Come to Kenya!

Megabn

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Today I am wearing mens cargo khaki pants from Uniqlo (I'm a girl, but the uniqlo girl pants don't fit me) and a red gap "Inspired" t-shirt.  BUT, I work at JHS, it's my third year, and I've stopped trying to impress people.  The administrators always wear suits, the teachers range from nice-ish stuff, to track suits, abercrombie sweatshirts and polo shirts, etc.  But that's at JHS.  Chances are, you are all HS Jets, so don't listen to me.  Ask your pred.

Megabn

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Photos
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
Oh, and as to Uniqlo, I'm a large and I can wear MOST of their shirts/jackets in the women's stuff, and anything in the mens section.

Keelhaul

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • It's not lupus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
It really depends on your school, which is frustrating to hear, I know  :|

I'm in high school and I wear polo shirts and slacks all the time. I've even gotten away with plain T-shirts from Uniqlo with a nice skirt in the summer. Khakis and capris are alright in my school too when it's scorching hot.

I usually wear a polo, light sweater set, or a buttondown shirt with a skirt or slacks (black or neutral).

Work fashion things that surprised me were that knee socks are considered business casual and many of the female teachers wear them. The tops they wear are generally very high cut in the neck. Also, most teachers wear lots of layers, because the temperature in the school is not regulated very well.

Things that are not okay in my school are sleeveless shirts. I have some dressy bermuda shorts that I haven't tried at school yet, but I don't think that they would go over well :-P

lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
I've even gotten away with plain T-shirts from Uniqlo with a nice skirt in the summer. Khakis and capris are alright in my school too when it's scorching hot.

Wow, that`s fantastic. In my JHS, half of the office regularly wear suits. I suppose the best thing would be to get a few nice things and then start dressing down when you know it`s alright. And shop at Uniqlo. Here`s their website with catalog (it`s mostly Japanese but even I can navigate it and my Japanese is absolute crap) http://store.uniqlo.com/L1/main.html .
Come to Kenya!

The Decider

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
Train to Tokyo, depends were you live, can take 1-3 hours.
It's all a matter of timing.

Ichigo

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
Local/Rapid train from Kofu to Shinjuku takes 2-3 hours.
Bus from Kofu to Shinjuku takes 2 hours 10 minutes.
Limited Express train from Kofu to Shinjuku takes 1 hour 30 minutes to 2hours.

I work in a high school and everyone hear wears business casual. You definitely need a black suit for entrance and exit ceremonies. You'll also need two pairs of shoes, one indoor and one outdoor. For indoor shoes, most men wear tennis shoes and most women wear comfortable sandals.
Candy from space built by robots . . . believe!

Jess'ca

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
Welcome, welcome!
also a note on sizes, most of the clothing here is geared towards small asian people, so if for example you wear size 8+ shoes (womens, don't know guy sizes), you will have a problem. you may then need to rely on online stores, getting people from home to ship u stuff, or going to Tokyo and seeing if they have more international sizes available.
Don't worry about it too much, just enjoy your last few months at home.

sk2000

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
Hi I'm Brendan and I'm coming to Fuefuki this year.  I'm not exactly sure who my predecessor is, so if anyone out there happens to have any info, that would be awesome!  I don't know what school I'll be at either.  It's good to see there's such a vibrant community of JET's in Yamanashi and I'm looking forward to departure!

mikine

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:21 PM »
Thank you all soo much for the information.

Is anyone here a teacher in Yamanashi-shi?

Angry Little Asian Girl

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • 我不轉彎
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:43 PM »
Hi I'm Brendan and I'm coming to Fuefuki this year.  I'm not exactly sure who my predecessor is, so if anyone out there happens to have any info, that would be awesome!  I don't know what school I'll be at either.  It's good to see there's such a vibrant community of JET's in Yamanashi and I'm looking forward to departure!

Welcome all new JETs!  And Brendan, both dackelynn and I live in Fuefuki.  There is also teiox and Josh.  You'll come to love our small but lovely town  :wink:

I have a feeling that your predecessor was Matt.  He had to leave Fuefuki before the end of his contract so you will most likely not hear from him.  If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask me (and I'm sure the rest of the Fuefuki crowd). 

If your predecessor is not Matt, then chances are that it is ladyrebeccaw.  Lady Rebecca, do you know?
"I like my bentou like I like my boys...Korean, bitches!" Punji
"OMG!  My butt is vibrating!" Fred, on his new subwoofers.

lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »

Hello soon-to-be-Fuefukier. Sounds like JHS. Rebecca, is he (?) yours?
Come to Kenya!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
As Matt was a HS ALT, his replacement would only know which prefecture he is in. It is the JHS and elementary ALTs that know their town. There are two Fuefuki JHS/Elementary JETs leaving, rebecca and josh. I think rebecca has contacted her successor and so Josh must be your predecessor by process of elimination.