Author Topic: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!  (Read 83555 times)

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Alright... I'm back at this again. Sorry for yet another stupid question :D

For those of you who had to go for multiple interviews.... did you have to take a new translation of your license for the second interview?  They kept mine last time... so I'm assuming they'll have it for my interview next week.   But Interac is saying to bring another one (although I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not know what they're talking about.... yet again).

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »
For my second interview, the license centre kept it on file. Maybe you can ring them up and check just in case.

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
I’m curious to know if anyone has taken the scooter-only license test or knows anything about it? I’ve heard that it’s much easier and cheaper than trying to get a regular license and as I only have a scooter, seems like it would be a better option for me.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »
I don't know much about the process, but I have the costs.  The scooter tests costs ¥1,650, plus ¥1,650 for your license if you pass.  For the driver's test it's ¥2,400 plus the ¥1,650 for the test car, and ¥1,650 for passing.  If you fail you have to pay the first two fees over again.

They offered me this great deal after my interview.  I could take the written/eye test then and get it out of the way for ¥2,400, and then pay ¥2,400 again plus the ¥1,650 when I came back for the practical test... Or I could just do the written/eye/practical test on the same day for ¥4,050.  Guess who didn't take the tests that day.

Sachi

• Administrator
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Im cool, I have Myspace...
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
The scooter test is alot easier i believe. It requires you to take a halfday course at a training facility, not sure on price. Thats just to get you up to scratch with how they work, basic road rules etc. pretty simple stuff. Then its just a matter of taking the tests that Zatharas outlined.

Sach
You stay classy Yamanashi!

kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
Oki...I got my license translated (I went to JAF at 2'ish and they said it would be ready the next day??).
Appointment made for interview test - check.
Its only mid-April, but the earliest date I could get is May 26th!!  Eeek! 
...which means all you 1st year JETs who are staying another year, get your arses into gear!

Wish me luck! 
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Kebin

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Phantom of Krankor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »
Yeah, listen to Karen. Especially if you're American you need to get to work on it. The driving test they make you do is from the 8th circle of hell.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
I totally agree. Sheena is in hell today waiting for all her shit to be sorted. DO IT NOW PEOPLE.

Punji

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • POF! Yoshida for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »
Yeah, listen to Karen. Especially if you're American you need to get to work on it. The driving test they make you do is from the 8th circle of hell.
It's a punishment for fraud from the hitherto unknown Bolgia 11? :-o
I like my bentou like I like my boys...Korean, bitches!

I was about 30 seconds away from grabbing her by the back of the head and smashing her face into the window.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
My supervisor made my appointment last week for the paractial and the test is still a month away.  And if you want to take driving lessons at the neighboring driving school, one hour classes are ¥6,300 and you have to go in to make an appointment and pay beforehand.  The classes are only on weekends.

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »
Yeah... basically if you think you're starting early, you're probably not starting early enough.  They'll invent stupid things to keep you waiting... like how my paperwork now all has to be forwarded to the main police bureau in Tokyo because they're now stricter with the whole process because of "terrorism"

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
I don't know about Americans but me and my JTE called last Thursday and my appointment is on April 30th. This is just the interview so I'm not sure how many other times I'll need to go.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Hopefully, only once Nick. Just remember all your ID including your passport and get ready for 50 questions.

kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
Are you going with your JTE, Nick??
I think I might try wing it alone (cos I don't have any JTEs), but not sure.... hmmm.
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
Yah, I'm a wuss and I'm bringing my JTE for backup. I bet I could do it on my own but why bother if you have the resources.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
Nick, seriously... I don't think you could do the interview on your own. Its not tough but its long and by the time everything gets explained to you, they may terminate the interview if they run out of time.

Karen... I think better to take a JTE with you just incase. From what sheena is saying, the whole process has got a lot tougher since I went. Or they just don't like her  :-P

kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »
Fred, I do not have a JTE (the last time my BOE needed translation services, they came to me!).
I could either borrow someone else's (not likely to happen) or beg my Japanese teacher whom I no longer go to (eeek!).
I'll see what I can do...

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
My supervisor and I were exhausted after the two and a half hour interview.  My supervisor wasn't even translating everything at the end.  Basically, they confirm every date in your passport and licenses.  They ask you a bunch of questions relating to your training and the test and license renewal.  Things like "How much did it cost?  How long did it take?  How many questions did the written test have?  Were they multiple choice or written?" and other seemingly worthless questions.

I got three cops.  At first there were middle aged cop who did most of the questioning and old cop who mostly sat, made a few comments, and sometimes got up and left.  Then after middle aged cop finished the questionaire, young sneeky cop came in and asked most of the questions over again but in more detail.  Sneeky cop had done quite a few of these interviews because he'd ask things like, "The place you got the test done, does it have an abbriviated name?"  He knew the answer was DMV.  He was trying to catch me in a trap! 

Also, I was asked to give the names of any foreigners I knew that had gotten a Japanese driver's license.  I had mentally prepared for all my history of driving questions but this one really threw me.

And my supervisor said that they were watching my eyes very closely to see if I was lying.

All I want to do is drive... :cry:

EuropeRick

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fear me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »
It seems needlessly complex and arduous when in theory, all they'd really need to do is take a fresh digital photo of you, your passport number, your driving licence number, and email it all to your countries embassy, asking for translations and validations of ID and licence. 1 week later (after a quick health/eye check), you would have your licence.

But hey, When in Japan ...

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
I find it especially galling when you consider that almost all of you have been driving for 1 year on an IDP and not had to prove anything. Then all of a sudden, it becomes like trying to get an interview with Osama Bin Laden.
Perhaps it is because the driving license is an effective form of I.D. ? However, considering that your Gaijin card is more important, that logic fails me too.

Kebin

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Phantom of Krankor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
Bring a native Japanese speaker for sure. Jun's interview took more than 2 hours on Monday despite his perfect Japanese...

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Nick, seriously... I don't think you could do the interview on your own. Its not tough but its long and by the time everything gets explained to you, they may terminate the interview if they run out of time.

Karen... I think better to take a JTE with you just incase. From what sheena is saying, the whole process has got a lot tougher since I went. Or they just don't like her  :-P

Haha. I think they really don't like me...  you know, since apparently they think I'm a terrorist and all.  :-P

Bottom line: take someone with you. I could understand and answer the interview questions just fine, but in explaining why they keep putting my application on hold they sometimes break out some complicated legal type terms and names of random documents and you'll want someone there who knows what the interviewer is blathering on about.  And they don't dick around... so if you can't understand they'll send  you away and tell you to come back with someone who can translate for you.

Also, if there's anything strange at all about how you got your license, bring documentation to back it up. They had a cow that I didn't take a driving test when I turn 16 (not a requirement in Iowa if you've taken driver's ed) and told me to come back with documentation with that. And last night they called me and told me that now I need a certified copy of my driving record before we can proceed..... (and I haven't even gotten to the fun that is the written and practical test yet).

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
Jesus... sounds a lot harder than when people did the test when I came. Good luck Sheena, you deserve it !

Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
How much are driving lessons? Do you sign up for them at your interview or before?

Does anybody know of anyone who passed the driving test first go around? My buddy did in Shimone ken, but different ken.

I heard something about the bureu getting sued for being too harsh on foreigners, but maybe this was just rumor.

Lastly, what are the possible consequences of getting a second IDP? By that I mean, if I were to go home, get a second IDP that "didn`t expire" for another year, what would cops do who pull me over? I sense this is dangerous but I know it`s been done.

Thanks guys.
When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. -P. Coelho

lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • If anyone needs me I'll be in the happy dome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
It would be illgeal cos the IDP goes by your first entry into Japan (on your visa/gaijin card), unfortunately.
Come to Kenya!

EuropeRick

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fear me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Its true that they are overzealous with foreigners. I've heard rumors from various Japanese housewives [don't ask] that it is so that foreigners can be screened for illegal activity / immigration at the same time. Perhaps this is under the misguided view that foreigners cause more street level crime than nationals, and are generally worse at driving. Whatever the reasons, be prepared for a ridiculously indepth interview about everything you ever imagined could be implied from every part of your driving related history, and bottom line, be honest, and relaxed. Ganbatte!

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
Okay I've got all the costs for the driving school next to the testing center in Minami Alps.

Option 1
1 hour lessons with an instructor
Cost: 6300
Reservations are excepted 7am-4pm.  You must make a reservation in person and must pay at the same time.  They will also not tell you over the phone if they have openings.
The practice times are 7am-5pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
Pro: They will teach you all the tricks of the courses.
Con: Cost and inconvenience.

Option 2
Practicing with a licensed driver
Cost: 1260
No reservations are needed.  You just come to the center and pay. 
But the person with you must have had their Japanese license for at least 3 years.
The car you drive must also have a hand break and not a pedal emergency break.
(sorry, not sure if this is only allowed on the weekends or weekdays too.)
Pro: It's cheap with no reservations needed.
Con: You may not learn what's expected.

Yamanashi Driving School (Yamanashi Jidousha Gakkou)
Toll Free: 0120-915-752 or 055-285-0752
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 04:02:01 PM by Zathras »

Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
Thanks guys, Michelle.

I guess for the cheaper option, I bring my own car (it has a handbrake) and a driver of +3 years to the Minamis Alps Center, pay the fee, and I can do a run of the course? How important is nihongo?

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. -P. Coelho

ladyshalott07

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Okay, what's a shinsa? It says judgement in the dictionary. This is suppose to be some type of paper that I have to give them? Is this my Driver's Record?

Kebin

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Phantom of Krankor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
Thanks guys, Michelle.

I guess for the cheaper option, I bring my own car (it has a handbrake) and a driver of +3 years to the Minamis Alps Center, pay the fee, and I can do a run of the course? How important is nihongo?

For the actually driving test the guy will say nothing to you unless you mess up...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:55:49 PM by Kevin »