Author Topic: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!  (Read 83555 times)

Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
Re: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
So, I got my interview on June 12.

Also found out why they`re hard up on the US. Unlike the UK and others, US licenses are done through individual state Departments of Public Safety. Japan would have to be connected with all 50 state governemnts to verfify the licenses.

Now I need a Japanese speaker. One of my JTEs thinks I`ll do okay with an electronic dictionary, but forum advice disagrees.
When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. -P. Coelho

EuropeRick

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fear me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
To put it in perspective, when I went the company provided translator had to use her dictionary about a dozen times; and she translates for a living.

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
Now before I start let me say that I'll try and make this not a bitching session and more of a tutorial on shit that can go wrong with the drivers test interview. So, I got my interview very quickly only taking a few days to book and go in for. When we got there everything seemed normal. You first fill out a request form asking some basic questions about your driving history. Like whether you've done any illegal activities or reasons to be disqualified for a licenses. Then you wait 10-20 minutes for them to call you into the room. By this point they have scanned all your ID and begin to review your life history. Important points to note are the exact dates of the issuing of your drivers licenses (in Ontario, Canada you get three seperate licenses G1, G2, G). They will also track all your international travels that have been listed in your passport or passports. Also important is that the names on your drivers license, passport and alien card are exactly the same. For me at present my passport and driver license don't have the same name so they will not issue me a license. This is because my passport is lacking my middle name James but it's present on my drivers license. They want me to either get a new passport or a new driver license meaning I'm basically fucked. Also the dates of the issuing of my licenses are not enough for them they would also like an official authenticated letter stating that these are the correct dates. Now I'm sure not everyone will have a tough time like I'm have but it's possible so beware. The one solution to the problem that seems most realistic was suggested by Qphelia and that was for me to screw traslating my licenses and just do the full test for a new one like the Americans do.

Well wish me luck.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
This shit isn't funny anymore. Christ, they have really tightened down since I did mine. Perhaps we should warn the new people coming in to triple-check that their documents are in order.

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »
I think that's a very prudent idea Fred.

Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
Jeez Nick, I think my names are different on the two different documents too. Who did you take with you for the interview?
When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. -P. Coelho

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
I took my JTE with me. We didn't have much trouble with the language gap. The thing is clint I don't think having different names will matter as much for you. Being an American you'll be doing all the tests and not just converting like I am. I can't be too sure about it I'm afraid. You're gonne have to go in and hope they don't care about it. You are basically earning an entirely new license anyways so the old one shouldn't matter too much.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
Clint, my license has my middle inital but my passport has my full name.  They asked me about that, but it wasn't a big deal after we told them that in America the middle inital is acceptable to use in place of the full name.

Duo Maxwell

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • This is Duo Maxwell.
    • View Profile
    • My Awesome Myspace Page
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
So Zathras did you get your license?
I may run and hide, but I'll never tell a lie. Yeah, that's me in a nutshell.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
Thats an interesting point. On my passport and british licence, my full name appears...

De Condappa Frederic Joseph Andre

but because it won't fit on my Japanese one, my name is

De Condappa Frederic J

bit of double standards I feel.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »
So Zathras did you get your license?
Not yet, try number one is this Thursday.  I did one lesson and I'd really recommend it. 

Here is something that you're supposed to do on the test but probably never do in real life.

Starting:
Put on seat belt
Adjust seat, rearview mirror
Break
Put in drive
Release parking break
Look in rearview
Signal
Look in left side mirror (it must be left first!)
Look over left shoulder
Look in right side mirror
Look over right shoulder
Relase break and move forward.

Changing lanes:
Look in rearview
Look in left or right side mirror depending on direction
Look over left or right shoulder depending
Signal
Look in left or right side mirror depending on direction
Look over left or right shoulder depending
Change lanes

Also, it seems that all turns are supposed to be taken at 10kmp or less.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
I have a question of the americans here. In the UK, we use the work brake for what slows the car down. In the US, do you use break for both that and destroying something?

Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
I break-a you face!

Cars have brakes.
There.  Now everything goes together.

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Has anyone here taken the scooter-only license test before or know anything about it?

LaurenRox

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • HoneyBee Manor
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
I break-a you face!

Cars have brakes.

I thought correcting grammar outside of work was Gay Homo Queer Butt-plugs?!?!?!?
I was just about to propose to Portia de Rossi. Have I been led astray?
≋✰ The More You Know

Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
Fred asked a question and I wanted to answer with an internet Italian accent.  I didn't read most of the posts on this thread though because I don't drive. 

Back home, there used to be signs along the highway construction that said, "Give Us a Brake" and I didn't realize the pun for the longest time.
There.  Now everything goes together.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »
Has anyone here taken the scooter-only license test before or know anything about it?
you can pick up a testing booklet from any scooter/bicycle store ---in japanese--the test is supposed to be ridiculously easy, but then again, I am too lazy to get around to it.  You can attend some scooter lessons at driving schools.  They might be able to point you in the right direction.  I seem to remember it being run through JAF.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
I break-a you face!

Cars have brakes.

I thought correcting grammar outside of work was Gay Homo Queer Butt-plugs?!?!?!?
I was just about to propose to Portia de Rossi. Have I been led astray?

I wasn't sure if it was a cultural spelling thing. So, I shall be wering my butt-plug hat today for you all on this thread.

Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
Hey Michelle,

Thanks for the test info.

Do we look in the left mirror and over left shoulder on a right turn and vice versa, or am I wrong? Can I just look over both shoulders and in both mirrors to be safe?

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
Do we look in the left mirror and over left shoulder on a right turn and vice versa, or am I wrong? Can I just look over both shoulders and in both mirrors to be safe?
Naw, you just look in the mirror and over the shoulder of the direction that you'll be changing lanes.  For a right turn you need not look over your right shoulder, but on a left turn you must because there might be bicyclists coming.

Also, something that is different is that you must get over in a lane as you make a turn.  So, for a left turn, be as far left in a lane as you can and vice versa for right turns.  I'm trying to remember if you need to do the mirror checks before you get over...

All these mirror checks seem to keep your eyes off the road in front of you.

The key is take it slow, slower than you think, except in that part you have to gun it to 50kmp.

My biggest problems according to my instructor were;
1: I didn't get the mirror check order in the begining correct.
2: I took my turns too fast.
3: My mirror checks need improvement.
4: I need to remember to get over to turn.
5: I kept grabbing the wheel at 12 o'clock from underneath as I turned.

He implied I might pass, but probably not, and I need more practice.

I also got my turn signal and window wipers mixed up and I almost turned into the wrong lane, but it was the first time I had driven here.   :oops:

Duo Maxwell

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • This is Duo Maxwell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the advice. Esp you, Michelle. The details are a great help.

However I am still a bit slow. So the question is, the interview and the driving test are on different days right?  I thought they were on the same day but my JTE asked me about it and now I am confused again.

Kebin

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Phantom of Krankor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the advice. Esp you, Michelle. The details are a great help.

However I am still a bit slow. So the question is, the interview and the driving test are on different days right?  I thought they were on the same day but my JTE asked me about it and now I am confused again.

They can be on the same say, but usually they take so long to interview you that you miss the driving portion of the test.

ladyshalott07

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »
Mine are on the same day. Interview lat 9:30, driving at 1:30. I certainly hope they don't run into each other. It's cheaper to do them both on the same day, I think.

Duo Maxwell

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • This is Duo Maxwell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:21 AM »
Thank you.

I am thinking mine will run over because my interview is for 1:30. That is kind of late in the day.
That might work out because I haven't taken any lessons yet anyway. But this taking off from work thing is not cool.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
I failed.   :cry:

Problems:
1- Went too slow during turns.  (The driving instructor said I was too fast)
2- I looked over my shoulder too much.  And something about not looking in the side mirrors correctly. (I guess looking to the side is good, but looking over your shoulder is bad.   :?  The driving instructor didn't get after me about looking over my shoulder.)
3- I drifted toward the center line when making a left turn.  (How that's possible when I moved over to the left side before making a left turn is beyond me, but maybe he meant I drifted as I was looking over my shoulder to get over to the left.)

It's only upsetting because there was a screw up and they thought I was having my interview not my test.  So when I finally got that cleared up I had to wait there for three hours to take the test in the afternoon.  I was there from 9am till 4pm.  :-(

Mine are on the same day. Interview lat 9:30, driving at 1:30. I certainly hope they don't run into each other. It's cheaper to do them both on the same day, I think.
It's the same price, because the interview is free.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
just make sure...if you fail, you CANNOT continue driving past the expiration date of the license.  An ALT did that once and was slapped with a huge fine.  And lost the right to drive.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
just make sure...if you fail, you CANNOT continue driving past the expiration date of the license.  An ALT did that once and was slapped with a huge fine.  And lost the right to drive.

Yeah.. don't be stupid and risk it. I think the fine was over 20man.

Squirrel Mafia

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • それやだ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
I failed.   :cry:

Problems:
1- Went too slow during turns.  (The driving instructor said I was too fast)
2- I looked over my shoulder too much.  And something about not looking in the side mirrors correctly. (I guess looking to the side is good, but looking over your shoulder is bad.   :?  The driving instructor didn't get after me about looking over my shoulder.)
3- I drifted toward the center line when making a left turn.  (How that's possible when I moved over to the left side before making a left turn is beyond me, but maybe he meant I drifted as I was looking over my shoulder to get over to the left.)

It's only upsetting because there was a screw up and they thought I was having my interview not my test.  So when I finally got that cleared up I had to wait there for three hours to take the test in the afternoon.  I was there from 9am till 4pm.  :-(

It's the same price, because the interview is free.

It sounds like you did alright to me, nothing major to fail you on happened.  I still think that they automatically fail foreigners the first time they take the test, so don't beat yourself up about it.  I told you that you could expect to fail the first time.  I seriously think that it just depends on the tester you get and what kind of mood they're in, factored by how many times you've previously taken the test.  Just as long as you keep your cool after they fail you, you'll pass sooner rather than later.  It took Kasia a long time to get her's because she got really upset after every failed test and argued with the tester, etc...  They DO keep track of how many times you've taken it for sure.  And I guarantee that they can remember your face and what kind of person you are.

Duo Maxwell

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • This is Duo Maxwell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
Damn sorry to hear that.
Despite all the warnings and everything it still doesn't prepare you for when it actually happens.

Sorry to whine. But I don't wwwwanna do this!

Kebin

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Phantom of Krankor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »
Fun fact!

The last number on your driver's license number is how many times you failed the driving test.