Author Topic: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!  (Read 83515 times)

cherello

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
  • meep...?
    • View Profile
    • 私が描いた絵
Re: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
Starting the process of getting my Japanese license after getting a surprise reminder call from my BOE supervisor (and discovering my JTE forgot to give me the first set of information the BOE faxed over)... and since everyone's been telling me there's useful information on the forum, I figured this was a good place to start.

I've been reading through this thread did I really just read 20 pages of forum replies?! and the guide document, and noticed a recurring theme of freakouts over passport stamps.

I came to Japan in the summer of 2011, and it seems I did get my passport stamped when I returned to the US (at least, I have a stamp from leaving Narita, and then another stamp with the same date that says "Department of " before the ink fades away - they didn't stamp it very well).

Not sure if anyone else had this situation or would have the answer, but my question: I was here for a 2-month study abroad program. Getting a student visa is apparently more difficult or requires extra paperwork or something, so the study abroad program just got us "temporary visitor" visas, valid for 90 days, and then told us to tell the customs officials we were there for "sightseeing." Is this something they're going to care about in my interview? If they ask about those stamps in my passport, do I have to say again that I was "sightseeing" for two months instead of studying, since it's not a student visa?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 17, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
Just tell them it was sightseeing. Talking about the study abroad program will make things more complicated and you don't need more complicated when it comes to your licence.

Jacklostinred

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 17, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Regarding the exit stamp. We had a problem with the exit stamp from our home country, as Canada doesn't care where you leave to visit only when you come back, so we went down to our city hall and requested a form that showed when we registered with the city to move in. This form also had a section with our previous address and it listed our home country which proved we had our license for 3 months before we moved to Japan.

Something to think about. Also, with the form being in Japanese it made that leg of deciphering the paperwork a lot easier for the staff.

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
s Fred said, all they care about in you passport is making sure you held your license for the required time before moving here. The only other thing they might query is if you have been to somewhere like Thailand, where forged documents (ie. licenses) are easy to get.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
There may also be other pointless questions like....

What car did you take your driving test in...
how many times have you renewed your license...
score of your driving test...
What kind of cars you've owned...

so be prepared to be patient, they won't mind if you don't know all of these but they may still ask! GOOD LUCK
B

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
LozZz, I'm loving the gif.
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!