Author Topic: 4 Corners: Elementary School Vocab Review Game  (Read 1819 times)

Offline lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • If anyone needs me I'll be in the happy dome.
    • View Profile
4 Corners: Elementary School Vocab Review Game
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
If you're from America, you might remember playing "4 Corners" as a kid. This game also works really well for young kids here as a way to pratice any difficult vocabulary words.

Assign each of the 4 corners of the classroom a word that they have trouble remembering. For example, make a watermelon, grape, strawberry and peach corner. Throw up a picture in each corner so they can remember. To start, you (the teacher) will stand in the center of the room and cover your eyes. The kids have to choose one corner to stand in. Count down from 10 in English, then yell out the corner name. The kids standing in that corner are OUT and must join you in the center. Start counting down again and yell out a new corner, repeat., until you have 1-3 kids left standing.

Once the kids get the hang of it, pick different volunteers from the losers who want to cover their eyes, count down and yell out a corner. Also, make sure the losers help you count down (great number practice)! It gets them running around and thinking of words in English. I played this with 1st and 2nd years and THEY LOVED IT. I would imagine it would work well in 3rd and 4th.
Come to Kenya!

Offline Clint

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Go raiko!
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Corners: Elementary School Vocab Review Game
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
Nice Lynn  :-)
When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. -P. Coelho

Offline Dr. Gibbons

• Teacher
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
I just played it with my 3nens and they loved it too. Thanks Lynn.
Strawberry pie for you!!!

Offline Duo Maxwell

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • This is Duo Maxwell.
    • View Profile
    • My Awesome Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »

I played this yesterday with my 1 and 2 ninses. They were screaming 'encore', really one kid has awesome english. I mean for a 2nd grader.
Anyway they liked this game like crack.  Much thanks!
I may run and hide, but I'll never tell a lie. Yeah, that's me in a nutshell.