Author Topic: Using Magazines In The Classroom  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Queen X

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Using Magazines In The Classroom
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »
I have a ton of magazines and would like to incorporate them into some of my lessons.  Those that have time please share any lessons you've done using foreign magazines.  Thank you.
"At long last we can embrace our Americanness without betraying our blackness." theroot

Offline Bex

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Re: Using Magazines In The Classroom
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
I did some comprehension tasks last year with my highest level group. They couldnt understand most of the articles, but it didnt matter, the aim was to find the answers to a bunch of questions in a magazine.
They worked in groups of 3 (it was a very small class- 12 ) and each got a magazine and list of questions.
It took them ages to find the answers to ten questions, much longer than I expected. Good practice for skim reading and filled a whole class!

You could also try something like cutting up the magazine and get them to match the correct article with the correct picture (for lower level students) or try some kind of discussion (for higher level students)- they could each choose an article and try to write their opinion. You could also just use pictures- get the students to guess what is happening , write their own piece, and then give them the article to see if they were correct.

Edit: I have been thinking of doing a lesson with travel brochures. Each student picks a destination out of hat and they have to plan their holiday using travel brochures - Find a flight, hotel,information about the country, itinerary, costing. Maybe make a poster/ present their imaginary holiday to the class?  You would probably have to make your own example first, which is a bit too much work for one class...but if you are going to teach this to multiple classes it could work.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:03:40 AM by Bex »

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:38 PM »

Edit: I have been thinking of doing a lesson with travel brochures. Each student picks a destination out of hat and they have to plan their holiday using travel brochures - Find a flight, hotel,information about the country, itinerary, costing. Maybe make a poster/ present their imaginary holiday to the class?  You would probably have to make your own example first, which is a bit too much work for one class...but if you are going to teach this to multiple classes it could work.

I do something similar for the third semester...students get in pairs and choose a country then research it and answer sets of questions over 2 or 3 classes in the library...then they have 2 classes to prepare a poster and practice a 5 minute presentation..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:09:40 PM by dustcloth »
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Queen X

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »
Thank you Ladies for the ideas. 
"At long last we can embrace our Americanness without betraying our blackness." theroot