Author Topic: Haiku Lesson  (Read 1519 times)

Tom

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Haiku Lesson
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »
My JTE wants to do a haiku lesson with our 3rd year writing class (SHS), I think it sounds like it could be a really good lesson. Just want to know if anyone has done a similar lesson and if they have any advice. Cheers!
Cheryl!!

lynn

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • If anyone needs me I'll be in the happy dome.
    • View Profile
Re: Haiku Lesson
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »
Yeah, I did a hiaku activity with my 3rd year JHS.

First, we explained syllables. I wrote down words and then I clapped the beat and explained how many syllables each word had. Then I wrote down some more words and had them tell me how many syllables each word had (they did really well on this!!). We clapped out the beat together.

Then, the hard part... creative expression. They really need a lot of pushing on this. First, give them a topic. Then, make groups and have them brainstorm English words for that topic. In fact, I didn't do this--- but you could make it a game and see which group gets the most number of words related to the topic (for example, "Spring" would have blossoms, pink, fresh, growing, etc etc). Make sure they know they can use all parts of speech, not just adjectives. Then have them count the syllables for each word and try and check their work as much as you can.

Then, explain the haiku format and give them some time to individually write the poem on that topic, using any words they'd like (although the slow learners will have the word list to fall back on).

For more advanced learners, encourage them to write another one on any topic they like. Slower learners will definitely need more structure and encouraging to get them to come out with anything. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, if counting syllables kind of confuses you then just remember that each syllable has one vowel SOUND.
Come to Kenya!