Author Topic: Low Level Games + No JTE  (Read 1887 times)

LaurenRox

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • HoneyBee Manor
Low Level Games + No JTE
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
Hey, kids. A little bird without internet today asked me to ask you fine folks for good LOW-LEVEL games to play when there's no JTE around. These should be games that require little to no explanation and are fitting for high schoolers who might have appeared in Michelle Pfeiffer's 1995 classic "Dangerous Minds," only replace the guns and gang violence with Japanese apathy and possible stabbings with shards of a smashed Nintendo DS. But I digress.

Here are some games off the top of my head he probably wouldn't want to resort to, but may have to:
-Hangman (groan)

-Spelling relay -- students divided into columns. Give a piece of chalk to the first person in every row. Say a word, and each kid can run to the front and write ONE letter. Then they run back and hand the chalk to the next person. My kids get really into this, so it's good if you don't want their cold stares piercing into your soul, but it can get a little rowdy. I had to put a kid in a headlock last time to stop him writing letters after time was up.

-Shiritori -- students divided into columns. Give the students a letter to start with, and they must each write one word on the board. They run back and hand the chalk to the next kid in the column, and he starts with the last letter of the previous word. Let them go for 2 minutes or something, or until everyone in the row has gotten a chance. The team with the most words spelled correctly wins or gets a point. You can up the drama by requiring they use 4 letters or more, and then 5 letters the next round, etc. (They know this game by name)

-Pictionary (or Charades) -- pick some random words from the textbook that you assume they should know (just in case you don't know the Japanese word, you can point in the book), and divide them into teams. If you want to get fancy, divide them into groups of easy (1 point), medium (2), and hard (3), and the most points at the end wins. I like to mix in some funny words to get them riled up like "pikachu," "Kojima Yoshio," or "Lauren." That last one can border on humbling to offensive. My kids apparently think I look like a sassy librarian.

-Scattergories -- get a ball or something to pass. Say a category like "sports" or something. Each kid should stand. Pass the ball to one, and they should say something in that category, pass the ball to someone else, and sit. They can't repeat a word already said OR take too terribly long. This is pretty fun, as they love to pass the ball to their friends and their friends hate them for it. I don't know if this would be difficult to explain with no Japanese, though. Here are some categories I've used, though: vegetables, fruit, furniture, jobs, verbs, sports, animals.

-Super Time Wasting Karuta -- I play this in English club. Cut out squares of paper. Write a letter on each one. Each kid should draw a picture of something EASY that starts with that letter (without writing the name of it, of course). That wastes about 10-15 minutes right there. Then divide them into 2 big groups (or something manageable). Put the cards in the middle. Call out the name of the picture on one of the cards and the kids try and find it and dive for it. It should be manageable because only you can really be in charge of calling the names. Whoever has the biggest pile or cards at the end wins your love and respect.

-Lauren is Hungover -- Tell the kids to sit quietly. Whoever makes the least noise wins. Students get extra bonus points for bringing me green tea or massaging my back.
JUST KIDDING, GUYS! I'm a sassy librarian, not a rock star.

As you can see, I am an awful teacher. What you guys got?
≋✰ The More You Know

IrishDave

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Yes, We Can
    • View Profile
    • Dave Cahill
Re: Low Level Games + No JTE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
I found these a while back, printed them out, and keep them in the OC room - they're insanely great if you have 10-15 minutes left at the end of class, or just need to keep the students attentive and busy. NOTE: I have only tried the first 3 listed, but they worked out really well.

Stop the bus
How to play: You can play this game either in teams or alone. Students contribute 3 categories (can be more depending on level). For example, Places, Food, Animals. You think of a letter and they need to think of three words that begin with this letter - one for each category. So, if your letter is 'S' for Places, Foods, and Animals you get something like 'School', 'Sandwich', 'Snake'. As soon as a student has all three categories they shout 'STOP THE BUS'. A lot of the time they will come up with some ridiculously desperate answers which adds to the overall feelgood factor of this game. You then move onto the next letter, 'P' 'Police Station', 'Pizza', 'Pig'... 'STOP THE BUS'.

Countdown
How to play: Draw a big cloud on the board and ask students to contribute 10 letters at random (you can add more letters for lower level students). Write these letters inside the cloud. Then, put students into teams and each team has to make as many words as possible from the letters given. The time limit can be as long/short as you like. Team with the most words wins! You can then repeat the game with another set of letters. Between rounds, you can jumble up a word from the day's lesson and the teams have to identify what it is for extra points! e.g. notconuwd - countdown 

I went to market and bought...
How to play: Write up the sentence 'I went to market and bought...' on the board. Then, simply go around the class student by student with each remembering the items that the other students bought and then adding one themselves. E.g. Student A, 'I went to market and bought an apple', Student B, 'I went to market and bought an apple and a banana', Student C, 'I went to market and bought an apple, a banana and a bottle of water', etc. Students who can't remember are out.

Strike it Lucky
How to play: Simply draw a 3 by 6 grid on the board (3 down and 6 across). Then, on a piece of paper, draw the same grid. In each row of 3 on your paper, you place a 'go' icon, a 'question' icon, and a 'hotspot' icon. The class is then divided into two teams and they have to select top, middle, or bottom from the grid on the board. Teams can select the same square. Write the name of the team on the square they select and then refer to your paper. If they get a 'go' option then they progress to the next column. 'Question' obviously requires a question to progress to the next column. If they get a 'hotspot' they lose a life. Two hotspots means they are out of the game. The team who gets furthest is the winner!

Blockbusters
How to play: Draw a 5 by 4 grid on the board - 5 across and 4 down. In each square write a letter of the alphabet. Then divide class into two teams. One team must try to get across the board and the other team down the board. If this starts getting a bit messy, you could just have the winner as the team with the most squares. The game is played by one team selecting a letter from one of the squares e.g. 'F' and then you ask a question : 'what F is the opposite of empty' (full). The first team to get the answer wins the point and selects the next square.. 'R - What R is the capital of Italy?' etc. etc.

Super Mario game
How to play: You will need a dice for this game. First, draw some kind of Super Mario-esque landscape on the board. The aim is for students to go from one side of the board to the other, crossing various pitfalls as they go. For example, they go up some steps, cross a river, go through a castle, jump across some clouds. You just put some dots in above what you've drawn to measure their progress. They throw the dice and then move the appropriate number of dots. To make things more interesting, you can add a couple of X dots along the way that need a 3 or 6 from the dice to escape from. The first team to make it right across the board is the winner.

3 Little Men
How to play: It's possible for this game to be played either alone or in teams. If there are two teams, write the team names on the board. Each team gets 3 lives which is signified by 3 stick men underneath their team names. You say a category and the teams must think of words related to that category. For example, 'animals'... A Team say an animal, then B Team, then back to A Team, then B Team again. A quick pace to this game makes it all the more enjoyable. If one of the teams repeats an animal, they lose a life. Also, if they take too long to think of one, then they lose a life. Continue the game with different categories until one team loses all their lives! 

Memory game
How to play: Spend some time drilling your flashcards. Then, get the students to make a big circle. Lay out the flashcards on the floor and go through them again. Students must then close their eyes and you take one of the flashcards away. They then open their eyes again and the first student to remember which flashcard has gone gets a point!

Flashcard race
How to play: Have two students come up to the front of the class. Show them a flashcard and the first one to say the word wins. The loser must sit down and the winner then takes on another member of class. Continue until all students have had a turn. 

Fake Kevin

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »
Thanks, friends. I'm sure the little bird without the internet appreciates the help.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
bump...
for those of you with an extra class this semester...these are some good relaxing gaames
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.