Author Topic: General Ideas for Sogo Eigo 総合英語 ... those classes with 64 ish students  (Read 2092 times)

nickcripps

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate it if people could give me some general or specific advice on what to do for Sogo English classes... That would be really great...

Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
I don't know what Sogo English is but maybe if you say the year and level of your students I can give you a little advice.  :-)
There.  Now everything goes together.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
I believe 'sogo' is being referred to as 'general' English classes.

The amount of things you could do is limitless!  For bigger classes, you first want to break them down into manageable groups...say 4-6 students in a group.  Then, you can apply practically any activity to the class and they would do the activity in their respective groups.  The activities can range from cooperative to competitive, depending on the environment of your class.

EuropeRick

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fear me!
    • View Profile
There is a game called "WOW" which is good for large classes. It is based on number practice, but you could change it via substitution I think if needed.

Teacher decides on a finishing number (lets say 13) which (s)he announces to the class.
Teacher points to kid A and Teacher says "1".
Kid A points to kid B (who must be adjacent, in any direction) and A says "2".
Kid B points to kid C (who must be adjacent, in any direction) and B says "3".
Kid C points to kid D (who must be adjacent, in any direction) and C says "4".
Kid K points to kid L (who must be adjacent, in any direction) and K says "12".
Now, kid L must say "13" BEFORE any adjacent kid points and says "WOW" at kid L.

For an end point, number 10 is good for ES low grades, 13 for ES mid grades, 21 for ES high grades.

It is good because each kid has to stay focused on who is the current speaker, the number they are speaking, and it builds anticipation.