Author Topic: YETI SKI TRIP - 2009  (Read 42135 times)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
YETI SKI TRIP - 2009
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
It's that time of year again to throw yourself at a giant mountain covered in white stuff! It’s the Yeti 2009 Ski Trip. Everyone is welcome, no matter what your level is.

What: Skiing and snowboarding in Nagano
When: January 16-18th
Where: Lady Diana and St. George hotel / Hakuba Goryu Resort http://ladydiana.jp/e/index.html
How much :  17,500yen or 12,500 yen if no ski passes
Rental Gear – Ski/Board + Boots - 1800/2800yen for one/two days
                       Winter trousers, jacket and gloves - 1800/2800yen for one/two days
YETI members get a 500 yen discount

RSVP: ASAP before spaces are all gone (no later than January 7th please)

The Plan:
We will be heading up to Nagano on the 16th(Friday) afternoon / evening to enjoy the fun of winter sports! We will check into Lady Diana and St. George hotel Friday evening. The drive takes about 2 – 3 hours from Kofu, using the expressways. We will stay at the hotel Friday and Saturday night. Ski, board or nurse a hangover Saturday and Sunday! Big Party organised for the Saturday night also!

Hey! What am I getting for my money?
Well viewers, this amazing package includes 2 nights accomodation( fri / sat ), 2 day lift passes ( sat / sun ), 3 meals ( breakfast sat /sun, dinner sat ). Rental gear is available at  the prices quoted above. Call in the next 3 seconds and receive a free steak knife! Vegetarians will be catered for. If you have super special dietary needs, we will do our best, but no guarantees.
The package can be changed if you can only stay one night, want to stay an extra night etc etc but please tell us in advance so we know. Kato san and I will do out best to accommodate your needs.
New this year ! Kato san will supply some drinks to get the party started for us on Saturday night. So in your RSVP, please tell me what you would like the drink…i.e.  beer/anything/wine/tequila (Tyler !). If you do not drink, please tell me what type of non alcoholic drink you want.
You of course will need to bring some of your own to the keep that party spirit moving !
Bring your mp3 players too. I will bring my stereo for the pumpage of tunage.

Thats awesome! How do I get there?
We will be travelling by car to Hakuba. Carpooling is the cheapest way to get there, as everyone shares tolls / fuel. Tolls one way are about 3,000yen from the kofu area. 
Directions are easy enough. From Kofu, jump on the Chuo Expressway: Head west towards Nagano, don’t go to Tokyo. After a good hour or more, you will see signs for the either the Chuo expressway to Nagoya/Aichi or Nagano expressway to Nagano City. Take the Nagano express way to Nagano. Soon,  you will  signs for the Toyoshina I.C exit, get off at this IC. Get on route 147 towards Hakuba (it will be signed). The route will eventually change into Route 148. As long as you keep an eye on the signs, getting on route 148 it’s easy. After about an hour of local roads, keep an eye out for signs for Hakuba Goryu Resort. There will be a traffic light with signs saying Hakuba Goryu turn left. Turn left! There is also a sign for subway. If you see Kamishiro or Hakuba station, you’ve gone too far, turn around. Once you have turned left, you should cross the railway tracks. Take the road towards Hakuba Goryu resort, the hotel will be up the hill on your right. If those directions don’t make sense, here are some maps.
http://ladydiana.jp/e/images/map-l.jpg (From the IC) (Toyoshina is not marked on here, but it is just after the Matsumoto exit)  :x
http://ladydiana.jp/e/images/localmap.gif (from R148 to the hotel)

Here is a webcam of route 148 nearish to the hotel
http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/webcam/nagano/hakuba-road4.html

For the 3rd year running, there will be vans organized for people and there will be a separate thread for that in due time. The vans will leave from Kofu station at approx 7pm. To return about 7pm on Sunday night.

Also, if people want, I am driving up earlier than most and I will carry equipment with me again this year. If you could get the stuff to me during the week before, that would be marvelous.

What if I don’t like other people and cars?

Well you're in luck, there are trains that run all the way to Hakuba! From Kofu they range from 3000yen(local) to 5000yen(express) one way. The express will get you there in just over 3 hours, while the local will take just under 5 hours.

I'm so down!! What do I do now?

Well the next step is to RSVP! When you RSVP, please tell us the following.
1. Name :
2. Gear Rental : Yes / no
    if yes please say what : (skis or board / boots / clothing )
    Shoe size :  **cm
    Height: **cm (if you require board / skis )
    Clothes sizes – if you know them in Japanese sizes.
3. Transport: required / not required.
    Also if you plan to drive your own car, please let us know.
4. What do you want to drink?
5. Other Information: (planning to stay only one night / vegetarian meals required / ... )
6. Lessons? Boarding or Skiing? Level?

This is always a great weekend. So everyone go ahead and sign up. Let's enjoying the snow!!!

FAQ

What is the accommodation like ?
Well people, I did try and get the Hilton for us but it was too expensive. All rooms are Ryokan style with 6 to 7 people per room although one sleeps 12-14 people due to the little loft part that is used by the p0rn watchers. Every room has a small ensuite bathroom with shampoo and body soap. All your bedding is provided as well, including warm duvets. The rooms have heaters too.
It is winter, so bring your jim-jams unless you plan on sharing body heat with a special someone !

Where do I get my rental equipment?
Your rental equipment will be delivered to the basement of St Georges hotel in the morning and labeled for you. You can try it there and then.

What is doesn’t fit?
Obviously, with so many people, there are going to be some issues. In the past, the rental guy comes with his van and you can change things with him until you get the right fit. Obviously for the bigger people out there, the choice may be a little limited but it always works out fine. Gloves are being supplied by Kato san, so the choice is not as extensive.
We have had no problems in the past.

I have my own coat and stuff. Is it good enough? Or do I go with the rental stuff?

I turn to my good friend sachi for this…
“You dont have to rent clothes. If you have a winter jacket, you'd hope it would protect you from snow which occurs in winter. The rental gear option is more for the people that are new to winter sports, or winter in general, that might not have winter equipment. Some ALTs come from tropical climates and would never need to buy useless heavy warm jackets that you might need in your home country. I had never seen snow before I came to Japan and the only time I saw my breathe was when I was getting stuff from a freezer. If your gear can handle  snow and cold, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Dont forget you will fall over a bit, especially when you're learning, so I highly recommend you double check your shit is waterproof!

Sach”

Can I board one day and ski the other?
Of course. You just need to tell me before the deadline date and the prices are the same.
Changing your mind during the course of the trip may be a little tricky but it would be easier if you were certain before the RSVP date.

What if I decide not to hit the slopes on the second day? Can I get a refund for my pass/equipment?

Sorry, no. The passes and equipment would have already been paid for by Kato san.

What if I need extra equipment such as bumpads?
There are shops at the bottom of the field that can supply you everything at a price. Just like a sweetshop.

What about Luuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnncccccccccccchhhhhhh â„¢ ?
Lunch? Well, the slopes are lined with restaurants including a subway and Baskin Robbins. They also serve beer and hot drinks should that take your fancy !

I’ve never seen snow in my life… am I gonna fail miserably?
Hell no! Even the pro’s had to learn somehow. There will always be a friendly face somewhere who will give you a few pointers. Everyone has a different learning curve and you will revel in the camaraderie.

Can I get lessons?
Yes ! but I need to find the info out. I know Amanda did it last year though.

I wanna come for the party but don’t wanna be on the slopes, what do I do?

Snow penises, movies, knitting, p0rn, borrow a car and visit the beautiful scenery… the list is endless.

So RSVP people as soon as possible and give me as much info as possible. Any questions are welcome too.

A massive thanks to Sachi for the original post that I blatantly stole  :-* :-* :-*

RSVP List

1.   Fred De Condappa
2.   JD
3.   Kelly Ferris
4.   Morgan Jolly
5.   Karen Lim
6.   Stephanie Harris
7.   Kelly Bryan
8.   Jacob Anderson
9.   Michelle Franzen
10.   Jyoti felix
11.   Katrina Nogoy
12.   Adam Shafar
13.   Tom Knowles
14.   Erik Byers
15.   kofu Joe
16.   Bryan Dukie
17.   Luke Sims
18.   Kim Miller
19.   Tegan Love
20.   Matt Brown
21.   Richard Tress
22.   Renee Tress
23.   Heidi Chen
24.   Hangyul Chang
25.   Miguel McCann
26.   Jamie Avalos
27.   Natalie Bell
28.   Amanda McCartney
29.   Sheena Turner
30.   Tacy Randolph
31.   Janet Loh
32.   Crystal Hall
33.   Jennifer Haney
34.   Rachel Phillips
35.   Tamari Hedani
36.   Emily Abts
37.   Jon Douglas
38.   Roald Nel
39.   James O'hollearn
40.   Marathon Mike
41.   Joe Yount
42.   Clint Peters
43.   Yumiko Tanaka
44.   Taylor Veltrop
45.   Natalie Polk
46.   Jack Rogers
47.   Satomi Kitajima
48.   Kelly Boyland
49.   Kelly Boyland's sister
50.   Tyler Miller
51.   Nick Burns
52.   Taurean Barnwell
53.   Beth Feltner
54.   Emma Allum
55.   Sarah Thibeault
56.   Libby
57.   Dennis Bott
58.   Eriko Tsuchiya
59.   Naoki Watanabe
60.   Naoki 's Friend
61.   Andy Smith
62.   Jess Redfearn
63.   James Freeman
64.   Hazuki
65.   Eiko
66.   Brian's friend
67.   Nick Gentle
68.   Sean Mitchuson
69.   Katherine Fowler
70.   Jeannie Pang
71.   Mauro
72.   Mauro's dad
73.   Mauro's Girlfriend
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:48:00 PM by fred »

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
Re: YETI SKI TRIP - 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:06:21 AM »
YES!  It's on now, thanks Fred.
There.  Now everything goes together.

Offline Squirrel Mafia

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • それやだ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »
OOOHH  PICK ME!!  PICK ME!!  I will be there, leaving everyone else's ass in the wave of snow behind me.   :evil:

IT'S HAKUBA BITCHES!  Get your asses out there or I will personally come to your house and pimp slap you for being lame.

I'm available for driving again if you need, Fred.

JD out!

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Bow down and pay homage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
For the record Kelly I think youre a fine gal and I love your presence on the forum. But watching you sign up and then back out of things has become like my fav thing to bet on and chat about this year. Maybe Ill throw down some odds and collect wagers on this one! You made my winter - thanks!

Thanks Fredie - cant WAIT for this! Easily the best weekend of the year. cant wait to snowboard all over hakuba*.

*Read: Do a run or two and then drink mulled wine in the Mongolian ger.

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
For the record Kelly I think youre a fine gal and I love your presence on the forum. But watching you sign up and then back out of things has become like my fav thing to bet on and chat about this year. Maybe Ill throw down some odds and collect wagers on this one! You made my winter - thanks!

Thanks Fredie - cant WAIT for this! Easily the best weekend of the year. cant wait to snowboard all over hakuba*.

Kelly, you know I love you, but I would bet 2000yen that you will "have to work" that weekend, injure yourself, or some other lame excuse before the time comes.

Offline 123stephanie

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
hell yes!! yipee... count me in please

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
Wow ! I am glad people are as pumped as I am about this. I pray to the snowfall gods for a great dumping of snow this year.
I am all tingly inside thinking about this one.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »

I am sorry if I inconvenienced you Morgan by not coming to your Halloween party!!  When I say I have to work or I am sick, I relly mean I HAVE TO WORK or I AM SICK.  There is no  pretense of  not wanting to spend time with all the wonderful members of the foreign community.  You have all been so kind and well-wishing.  When my grandmother died, when I finally passed obedience school, when I celebrated my first night with a man, you were all there, *sniff*.......
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline (Los) Pantalones de Fuego

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The Los isn't needed, but we have it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
Gotta break a new board in somewhere, might as well be somewhere good right? heh
Summer Hat!

Shit son I will copy your jutsu like a fucking xerox.

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
I know Jacob and I can't wait for this!  I can't decide if I wanna attempt snowboarding again this year.  I still haven't graduated from the bunny slope.  :lol:  Oh well, there's always eating meat pies, going to onsens, and building a snow penis to do.

Offline (Los) Pantalones de Fuego

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The Los isn't needed, but we have it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
I know Jacob and I can't wait for this!  I can't decide if I wanna attempt snowboarding again this year.  I still haven't graduated from the bunny slope.  :lol:  Oh well, there's always eating meat pies, going to onsens, and building a snow penis to do.

Let's not forget the drinking, oh the wonderful drinking. 
Summer Hat!

Shit son I will copy your jutsu like a fucking xerox.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »
and the drunken boarding....
although i don't think i will be pulling dennis' shorts down again if he goes commando  :-o

Offline jyots

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
i'm there baby!!!

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »
and the drunken boarding....
although i don't think i will be pulling dennis' shorts down again if he goes commando  :-o
poor Jessica...her eyes popped out. Too much Dennis for a triad   :roll:
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Offline kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »
Sounds excellent. :) While I'm not a skier or snowboarder, it'd be great to hang out there! I'll go!
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline People's Republic of Yamanashi Officer for Internal Affairs

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Yamanashi bloc
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
both of us would love to go but unfortunately will need to monitor my money as alot of travelling = no money! so put us down as a Definately Maybe! in the suuuunssssssshhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne
FOR THE GLORIOUS PROTECTION OF YAMANASHI

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
both of us would love to go but unfortunately will need to monitor my money as alot of travelling = no money! so put us down as a Definately Maybe! in the suuuunssssssshhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

You won't find a cheaper trip anywhere...and the socailizing will be awesome too. So that should be a definitely maybe

Offline The Badger Baron of Shizuoka

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • "Pants on head retarded"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
Put me down I haven't seen really snow in years lol
Rabble rabble rabble

Offline Varangian

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Do a barrel roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 06:56:02 PM »
You better believe I'll be there!
You, minion, are too saucy for my bacon.

Offline 1060WestAddison

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
Joe from Kofu, mark it 8 Dude!! I'm in.
Mercy is for the weak

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
Over the line, mark it zero!

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »
Mark it 8? Mark it zero? I don't care as long as you mark it in your calenders !  :-*

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
I dont get all these "mark it" comments....am I missing something?
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
yeah...me neither. maybe you need to be american.

BTW people, if you don't want to ski/board, then there will be a price excluding lift pass too.

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Yamanashi bloc
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »
i really wanna go, i know this sounds silly but can u guesstimate the price for the trip based on last year  price?? this is so i can get my finances in order and prioritise!

p.s. ive been out of the loop but it seems that Kunado King is carrying on and i like hw Ms Ferris was MOCKED WITH MONKEY PANTS!

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
I am hoping to get the final prices this week and the details sorted this weekend. Last year was 17,500 for non yeti members and that is all I am saying. Patience padwan...it will come.

Offline 1060WestAddison

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
Kind of a Merika thing...from the movie The Big Lebowski
Mercy is for the weak

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Yamanashi bloc
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »
yeh DUDE! i didnt get that film

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »

No need to bring countries into this...I'm American and I didn't get it either.  :|

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »

No need to bring countries into this...I'm American and I didn't get it either.  :|

Maybe we just aren't young and hip enough  :cry: