Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering (lets playing)  (Read 97892 times)

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Bow down and pay homage...
    • View Profile
Magic: The Gathering (lets playing)
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
Lets get together at Karens place and have a mini tournament or just play a bunch of one on one games. Im expecting at least 5 or six people, I will make enough space for all players. Anyone is welcome to come and learn, but the focus will definately be Magic, so if you're coming better bring your decks!

Its best if you bring your own cards, but if you dont have any you can peruse mine and make your own deck, or use one of my premade decks. If you like to buy your own cards go to that used Mummy store in Minami Alps, they have tons of used ones for cheap. You could get set up pretty well for 2000yen. New English boosters are available in Tamaho, let me know if you want directions.

When: This Sunday, May 24th, 2009. 10am - 4-5pm (I think Karen and I will need to claim the house back around supper)

Where: Karens pad. 15 minutes walk from kasugaicho station, 1 stop past Isawa heading east. Call me and Ill pick you up or give you directions for walking.

Offline junou

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering (lets playing)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
I'd like to come, though i don't have my own cards. I haven't played in a really long time, but i learn fast :)

Offline Guest

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
count me in.
"Too much sanity can be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."
--Miguel de Cervantes, Man of La Mancha

I feel patriotic in my pants.

This is Tyler, btw.

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »
I have to say I am very surprised sometimes as to who plays! haha. Janet youre welcome to come if you want to refresh your memory, I have tons of cards.

Offline Tony Au

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
i like decks! Huge ones are intimidating but theyre rarely any good. I prefer your normal decks and it doesnt matter what color, either. they can be black or white, even mixed ones. i like ones with skins cuz i can be rough with them. I especially like decks i can beat!

btw, im in!

Offline lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
I'll be there.

Offline Guest

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
with five already, this may get big.
"Too much sanity can be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."

This is Tyler, btw.

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
I notified 11 people on PM, I doubt if theyll all come, but it could be big yeah! Nice.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
erm Bring Your Own food/drinks/snacks
I'll be off to work by 8am so not cooking
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Offline Tony Au

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:29 PM »

was that directed to morgan or all of us? you usually cook for other ppl?! i thought we were eating the stuff we find in your fridge...

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »

was that directed to morgan or all of us? you usually cook for other ppl?! i thought we were eating the stuff we find in your fridge...
right now there's nothing in my fridge except MJ's fancy beer & if you touch those, he will kill you, so...
WHAT? I have to CLEAN AND FEED YOU TOO WHILE I'M OUT SLAVING AT WORK??!!!!
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »
WHAT? I have to CLEAN AND FEED YOU TOO WHILE I'M OUT SLAVING AT WORK??!!!!
Well, you are a woman and this is Japan...

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
Without saying I'm in for this lovely event.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »
Hey guys, another note. Since we do want to have a mini tournament, Id like to say the tourney itself will start around 12pm. Come early if you want to make your own deck or just play some casual games. If everyone is early we could start early. There will be a lot of casual play too so dont worry if you miss the start, or if you dont want to take part in a tourney in geneal. Hope Im not coming off as too anal or structured, haha. Just very excited!

Also if everyone wants to kick in like 300 yen each (or 500) I could get some prizes. Any takers?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:52:29 AM by TheKunadoKing »

Offline Guest

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
I was about to recommend wagers for anyone that wanted.

I would chip in 300.

This is Tyler, btw.

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
I'd like to come but don't have any M:TG cards with me here. Could you post directions from the train station or PM me your mobile number purty please?

I'm not so sure about betting... could make up a poker night at some point though?

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Although individual/side betting is fine by me its certanly not required.

Ok then, Ill get prizes and hopefully people will chip in (I guess if people dont want to in the end the prizes will slide down to the next person who participated in the money pooling). Ill make sure we have things for magic players and casual players alike.

My number is 08054325265. Ill pick you up or give you good directions.

Offline God-Emperor Snrub

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Yes, that will do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »
I just might be down for this.  Going out with Michelle Saturday night, and assuming I'm not too hungover the next day, I'd probably be there.

Offline Tony Au

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
so what are the rules for the mini-tournament? cuz people play different ways and it should be fair and reasonable to everyone.

• i mean, can you have more than one deck?
  • can you have an unlimited amount of sideboard cards?
  • can you play with proxies?
  • what about banned or restricted cards?
  • is the tournament following any category like vintage or whatever the other ones are?
  • If you lose one game, then are you out?

Just asking.

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »
    so what are the rules for the mini-tournament? cuz people play different ways and it should be fair and reasonable to everyone.

• i mean, can you have more than one deck?
    (yes)
    • can you have an unlimited amount of sideboard cards?
    (yes)
    • can you play with proxies?
    (no)
    • what about banned or restricted cards?
    (yes)
    • is the tournament following any category like vintage or whatever the other ones are?
    (no)
    • If you lose one game, then are you out?
    (no)
    [/list]

Just asking.

Morgan, feel free to correct any of that if you don't agree.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
    • Carpe Diem
      • View Profile

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
    Although Im kind of setting it up, JD is the tourney/judge king. Ill defer to him unless we need the occasional lax rule to let the new comers enjoy to the fullest extent.

i mean, can you have more than one deck?
    -I thought in a tounrmanet once it begins you cant change decks, I dunno. I mean once you play a guy once you could just pick a deck that would beat him easily next time, but I guess he can too. I was thinking no deck changing, only add cards from your sideboard.

can you have an unlimited amount of sideboard cards?
    -15 sideboard cards is standard I think. We'll use that.

can you play with proxies?
    -I dont know what this means, haha. Use other cards to represent cards you need? Id say definately not. All cards must be official. JD may disagree but Id also move for no Japanese cards, unless you have the actual English card to show the player as well. I just dont trust peoples interperations of the card rulings to be sound wihout being able to read it myself. Obviously Japanese basic lands are fine.

what about banned or restricted cards?
    - Since its our first tourney and a lot of people need to use whatever cards they can, I move for no restrictions. I would ask that JD and others use a bit of discretion though. Anyone who knows what they are doing with restricted cards would wipe the floor with us.

is the tournament following any category like vintage or whatever the other ones are?
    -I think given the amount of newcomers (or people who have been away from the game for a long time), we'll just wing it with open decks and make our own little tourney setup.

If you lose one game, then are you out?
    -Im hoping to have full round robin play with points awarded for win, loss, and tie, then based on scores the elimination rounds will begin. Id guess youll have at least 10 games per tourney, more if you win, we may cut that back to fit in two tournaments. Depends on time.

Ive asked JD for full advice on all this cause he knows what hes doing way more than me. Basically I want it to be pretty free and non technical so we can all just get playing quick without debating, but we'll see.
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:40:12 PM by TheKunadoKing »

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
    I'm fine with everything but sideboards. Picking 15 cards for a sideboard is pretty tough for a newbie(or me for that matter). I think either keep the ready made decks as a whole without any changes possible. Or open everything up for tweaking along the way (You can do this by giving only a limited amount of possible card changes.) I feel sideboards will generally make things a lot more confusing for the newbies. This is just my opinion and can be disregarded as you see fit.  :-*

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
    It does add a certain annoyance to some simple gaming, people taking 15minutes between each game to fret over what cards to change, and the annoyance of trying to pick cards for the sideboard in the first place.

Oh! and actually I just remembered that games are usually best of 3, and in between is when you use the sideboard. I wasnt planning on best of three until the semi-finals. I like round robin cause I want to play vs. a lot of different decks. So maybe just tweaking stuff along the way is best. No sideboards per se?

I know I/we have started talking about rules, but Im hoping this just stays simple and quick. Hopefully we can just let people do what they want within reason.

Offline Tony Au

• Teacher
    • Ltn. Wolf
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
    @Morgan

Cool, your ruling sounds good.

I have a suggestion about proxies though:
    Maybe 1 or 2 proxy cards are ok. Especially for newcomers who don't have cards to use. And theres always the interwebs for card descriptions for Japanese texted cards. As long as you dont make a proxy that you can tell is a proxy while shuffling your deck, like using a hard plastic credit card... or a pokemon card... without skins...

And about restriction cards:
    Even the most open tournament playing style bans or restricts cards. like (not that anyone has any [if you do, im breaking into your house]) you can't play 4 black lotuses, only one, and cards from the unhinged and unglued "sets" are banned. Cuz if you dont have any restrictions, what stops someone from playing 10 of the same card or something.

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »
    Oh thats true about the 10 cards, sorry I thought that was implied, only 4 cards. I dunno man, I just feel like no one has any restriced cards except for maybe JD, so I didnt want to bog people down with details.

Personally I dont like the idea of proxy cards at all. Whats the point of collecting if we can just magically use any card we want? I hope my tone doesnt seem serious, im just debating. I mean every deck ive ever used needs better or different cards, but I dont want to just "have" them cause I want them. Id rather see peopel win with their own hands.

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »
    Yah I gotta agree. Printing your own perfect cards kinda defeats the purpose of collecting them. My decks are nowhere near perfect and neither are Morgans for that matter. So I wouldn't worry about having your perfect deck in there to compete. No one is perfect except JD  :-P

Offline Guest

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
    I'm gonna laugh if JD gets beat because everyone is jinxing him.

This is Tyler, btw.

Offline TheKunadoKing

• Teacher
    • Sasquatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
    I dont think our jinxes can stop JD, haha. I love a challenge so I hope he plays whatever deck he wants to, but he does have one or two that are comnpletely and uttery awesome, he only used them once on me. I beat a bunch of his minor decks and almost thought less of him, then he pulled out a whole new tier and I was destroyed.

Offline (Los) Pantalones de Fuego

• Teacher
    • Woolly Mammoth
    • The Los isn't needed, but we have it!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
    setup a computer with the online version so I can at least play with people who are maybe waiting for a match
    Summer Hat!

Shit son I will copy your jutsu like a fucking xerox.