Author Topic: Slovakia  (Read 1559 times)

taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Slovakia
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
So I have to teach a third-year class about Slovakia as part of our "Welcome to my Country" textbook lesson plans.  I couldn't find Slovakia on a map of Slovakia-- so I'm pretty sure my students aren't even aware there is a country called "Slovakia."  Though to be fair it is quite a new country. 

What's the best way for me to introduce this lesson and country in a fun and interesting way that'll last for a fifty minute-class period? 
-TB

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Slovakia
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »
How serious is the lesson?

taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
Mostly it's just introductory.  The textbook includes several countries and we have already done the Philippines and Indonesia.  For the first two I just created short PowerPoint presentations and presented some basic info about the country and elaborated about one element from the introduction in the book.  I think my presentations were too bogged down with "info" and probably not very appealing to the students, so I want to switch up my technique. 

It's not really a serious lesson.  It's a third-year elective course and my JTE would likely be okay with any format of lesson within reason. 
-TB

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:30:17 PM »
When I do presentations to the kids at elementary school, i focus on sports, food, clothes, greetings, festivals, money, school uniforms, school life and other day to day stuff as it is more interesting to them. i always try to compare it to Japan to give them a relative idea.
I shy away from history and dates as they just don't get it.
I know you teach HS and this is what I do in ES, but perhaps you can find a middle ground?

People's Republic of Hokuto - Comintern

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Workers to Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
Slovakia is next to the Czech Republic and Poland in Eastern Europe.  The capital is Bartislava and the national language is Slovak. 
All powerful glorious leader

Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
I stayed in Kosice earlier this year (confusingly, it's pronounced koshitze). The food is pretty delicious. I can't remember if they had Burek, but they had it across the rest of the region - it's this really tasty pastry thing that's dead cheap and has all sorts of fillings. And there's these gnocchi-style dumplings that are well tasty. The soccer team isn't very good. There was some nutty Eurotrash performance in the town square before we left involving fire and peasants. And even more nutty nutters at the train station - though not as nutty as the toothless, one-legged woman who we bumped into in Romania, who got undressed and headbutted the floor until she had induced an epileptic fit.

I probably have some photos but I'm sure you can find better/similar stuff on Google.