Author Topic: Infinitives  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Infinitives
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
I'm doing a lesson about infinitives, as per my textbook. The grammar point seems to be the use of verbs that must take the infinitive (eg. coming to listen, continued to dump, warned us not to pollute etc.) and it seems to assume some knowledge of infinitives on the part of the students.

I don't really want to get into gerunds, because I have no idea if the students would know what they are (well, I have some idea: they probably don't).

So my current plan is to warm up the students by issuing them various instructions using the infinitive. Then to use a JHS worksheet off Englipedia to familiarise them with the infinitve (it uses the structure 'I use a ________ to __________.'). And then to give them a list of scrambled sentences using some of the verbs that must take the infinitive (afford, prefer, agree, hope, etc. etc.).

So I have two questions. First, can anybody think of any good warm-up instructions using the infinitive? Stuff like: 'I want you to stand up'; 'Continue to stand'; 'You are to go to the back of the room' etc. Stuff that uses the infinitive, that gets them moving around.

Second, does anybody have any better ideas for teaching this use of the infinitive? I don't really want to get bogged down in explanations of the grammar, because the kids lose interest; I was more hoping to get them just using it in an interesting way...

(I realise that I am pretty-much single-handedly turning the lesson plans forum into a begging thread, but I make these requests with a view to posterity as much as to expediency...)

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinitives
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »
gerunds and infinitives go hand-in-hand.  Meaning, you can almost always change a gerund into an infinitive and vise-versa.

"Continue to stand." vs. "continue standing".
"You are to go to the back of the room." vs. "You are going to the back of the room."

So, after a very basic and quick explanation of a gerund and/or gerund:
1. You could give the students a list of gerunds or infinitives and they have to switch it to the other form.
2. Let the students scour their textbooks (outside of the Unit 3&6 grade2 because those are the units that cover these two grammar points) to find gerunds.  When they find one, they raise their hand and shout out the page number.  All the rest of the student turn to that page and the first person to find the gerund, raises their hand and shouts it out.  Rinse and repeat.  Also, you could let the students find infinitives in their textbooks, but this time instead of the student shouting out the infinitive, they have to switch it to a gerund and shout out the gerund.

BTW, the Englipedia gerund page was updated yesterday and has a pretty slick and easy explanation of a gerund if you're interested...

Also, in the future, and I'm not saying this to take away from this particular forum, but over on the Englipedia forum, there are ALTs with much more experience and interest in talking shop/classroom ideas.  That is not to say this forum doesn't have the some great ALTs, also.

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:40:21 AM »
Also, here are a list of verbs that take gerunds or infinitives after them:  http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/verblist.htm

Offline Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was really hoping to avoid the issue of gerunds because I think it will take a lesson to teach them gerunds, but the textbook wants to teach them infinitives. In an ideal world I would take them through it step by step, introducing gerunds, infinitives, and then the relationship between the two. But that doesn't seem to be the way things work around here...

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
I'm doing a lesson about infinitives, as per my textbook. The grammar point seems to be the use of verbs that must take the infinitive (eg. coming to listen, continued to dump, warned us not to pollute etc.) and it seems to assume some knowledge of infinitives on the part of the students.

I don't really want to get into gerunds, because I have no idea if the students would know what they are (well, I have some idea: they probably don't).

So my current plan is to warm up the students by issuing them various instructions using the infinitive. Then to use a JHS worksheet off Englipedia to familiarise them with the infinitve (it uses the structure 'I use a ________ to __________.'). And then to give them a list of scrambled sentences using some of the verbs that must take the infinitive (afford, prefer, agree, hope, etc. etc.).

So I have two questions. First, can anybody think of any good warm-up instructions using the infinitive? Stuff like: 'I want you to stand up'; 'Continue to stand'; 'You are to go to the back of the room' etc. Stuff that uses the infinitive, that gets them moving around.

Second, does anybody have any better ideas for teaching this use of the infinitive? I don't really want to get bogged down in explanations of the grammar, because the kids lose interest; I was more hoping to get them just using it in an interesting way...

(I realise that I am pretty-much single-handedly turning the lesson plans forum into a begging thread, but I make these requests with a view to posterity as much as to expediency...)

yes.  you are.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
Point taken.

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile