Author Topic: Christmas activities  (Read 3253 times)

heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Christmas activities
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
I want to plan a Christmas/holiday lesson for my high school students.  Any suggestions?
I am not so sure what to do and everything that comes to mind seems too childish for them.  What have you other HS teachers done in the past, if anything?

My students are pretty maxed-out stressed so I want to do something fun/relaxing/easy with them....

Any thoughts would be so helpful!

Thanks.........................................

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas activities
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
Last year I got my kids to write Xmas cards to my pred. and then I posten them to him. They seemed to enjoy that.

I found templates online, gave them to them and asked them to colour them in and then write a message to my pred.

I also gave them a dictation where I talked about Xmas.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »
One year I had a X-mas card competition.  The students had to pick someone at school to write a card to and make them a card.  Then, I laid the cards out in the teacher's room, gave each teacher 3 yen coins and they had to put the coins on the top three best cards.  The top three cards got a present, and then I distributed each of the cards to the people who they were made for...so actually everybody got something.

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »
Did Christmas cards as well last year. Had my students write cards for my family, and then I took class pictures. I went home for the holidays, so I made a book out of all their cards and pictures and presented it to my family the next day. They were thrilled! Then my family wrote response letters to each homeroom.

This year, I'm going to talk about Santa Claus and then show them a Christmas movie.  :-)
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
Looks like x-mas cards are the way to go.  not a bad idea.  I'm assuming all of you who posted are H.S. teachers?
Thanks for the ideas. 

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
LOL!  I'm not.

BTW, since HS students are coming into that time of life where a breeze could make them horny, all they need is an 'excuse' to talk to the opposite sex.  By having the students choose another student at school to write to might give them the excuse to write to a person they like.  AND, if this happens, I'll bet dimes to quarters that they put 110% into doing their best.

You could even force the students to choose a student of the opposite sex.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
One year, I taught the kids diamond poems and had them write a winter/Christmas themed poem on a snowman which they decorated.  We watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas too.  Then I put the snowmen up in the hall.

But watching School of Rock (Mr. Bean for the classes who were behind) was the best "Christmas activity" I've done.  :-*

yeulih

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:54 PM »
Color a stocking. Write what they want on the stocking for Christmas...doesn't take much time, for those who are looking for something in 15 minutes or so. (If you want you could also make them write why they've been a good kid this year.  :evil:)

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
bump for those of us in high school who need something to do....
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
a timely bump indeed.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »

Perhaps this year, I will notify the students to each bring a 100 yen snack to class and we can set up a christmas buffet and movie party...and everyone can share....it is unfortunately too late for a secret santa.

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
Any ideas for what to do for an xmas party?
Making cards doesn't seem hugely fun and I'm the least crafty person in the world!

(ESS....gahhhhhh)
毒食らわば皿まで

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
we're watching ELF and the Highest level class gets a christmas party.  On Monday, all they students will be able to exchange their hanko points/participation points for candy or snacks during lunchtime.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
This is what I'm doing tomorrow. I'll post how it goes. One of my JTE's at this school is kind of a control freak whereas the other one lets me do whatever I want so it'll end up happening differently for each class.

out of my 7 classes, only 2 will get an x-mas lesson.

(copy + pasted from e-mail)

"

Today I made a CD of Disney Christmas music. What I want to do is listen to 2 different songs.

Song 1: 12 Days of X-mas. When we listen to this song, it is good for tongue-twisters and it can be a fun game. Each student will get a different day, and every time they say that day in the song, they have to shout out the part. If you know the song, it is easy to understand, but if you do not it might be confusing! haha. Anyway, I think it will be fun.

Song 2: The First Noel. give students 10 minutes to draw pictures for different verses of the song. The First Noel explains how Jesus was born and why Christmas is important, but the English is difficult, so I think if we put everyone's picture up on the board, and then we listen to the song again, it can describe the story very well. I think we can use scrap paper from the copy room and students can draw with their pens. They don't have to be very nice or detailed - they can be very simple pictures.

While students are drawing pictures for song 2, we can listen to other songs on CD.

If we have time left in class, like 10 minutes or so, I will just talk about what my family does for x-mas tradition and students can ask me questions. "

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
sOUNDS GREAT!
I forgot...we're also doing the xmas jeopardy with prizes and I usually make them sing the 12 days of christmas too!

Anyone have some quick games they might suggest?

devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
I'm doing this with my 2nensei tomorrow.

First, on the Xmas Crossword attachment, the students read the passage and complete the crossword using the hints.

(Beforehand, write the questions and answers (from Christmas Q and A Activity attachment) on cards. Write Q  or A on the back of the card. My class is only 17 students so I only made 9 sets of questions and answers.)

Next. give each student a card. The question students have to find the correct answer student, and after they have done so, the pair speak their Q&A to the ALT/JTE. You could give hanko points or some other prize for correct answers. If you want it to be easy, let them keep the card throughout. If you want it to be harder, make them memorise the question or answer and leave the card on their desk.

Probably won't last a full lesson, but I have something else to finish off first.

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
I did this today, with my ichinensei, hoping my ninensei will be into it.

1. Did a long talk detailing what Christmas is about, (my JTE translated when necessary) because I want them to know that shit, and half of them actually find it really interesting when I give the nitty gritty deets about American culture.

2. Gave them a piece of paper with 20 blanks on it that said "Santas List" (i dunno), one for each student in the class.  I gave them 10 minutes to interview other students in the class and find out what they want for Christmas and why.  After 10 minutes, the person who had the most answers filled in got to pull a Christmas present out of a stocking (a giftwrapped candybar).  Then we went around the room and everyone spoke about one person they interviewed.

They seemed to enjoy it.  It seems like they enjoy pretty much anything that involves getting up out of their desks.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
I did this today, with my ichinensei, hoping my ninensei will be into it.

1. Did a long talk detailing what Christmas is about, (my JTE translated when necessary) because I want them to know that shit, and half of them actually find it really interesting when I give the nitty gritty deets about American culture.

2. Gave them a piece of paper with 20 blanks on it that said "Santas List" (i dunno), one for each student in the class.  I gave them 10 minutes to interview other students in the class and find out what they want for Christmas and why.  After 10 minutes, the person who had the most answers filled in got to pull a Christmas present out of a stocking (a giftwrapped candybar).  Then we went around the room and everyone spoke about one person they interviewed.

They seemed to enjoy it.  It seems like they enjoy pretty much anything that involves getting up out of their desks.

Nice!!   easy to do and fun for them!

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »
Update:

my JTE basically said no this morning when I showed up to work.

I hate making emergency lesson plans in 15 minutes.