Author Topic: Where's Wally/Waldo?  (Read 1978 times)

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Where's Wally/Waldo?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Has anyone ever tried playing Where's Wally with their students?

I was checking out a Where's Wally game for the DS over the Xmas holidays and I was wondering if it might be a fun, semi-english based activity. Obviously finding Wally requires no knowledge of english but all the extra parts do - "A man who has eaten too much" will require them to understand what that means.

I think it would be fun but I don't know if the level would maybe be too high for my students without having to tell them the japanese meanings for everything they are looking for (which would render it completely futile as an excercise in English).

Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Kendra

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Wally/Waldo?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
My JTE and I did something similar with my JHS 3nensei last year after my JTE bought one of the books. We split the class into 4-6 person groups. Instead of telling them who to look for, we asked them to write 5-6 sentences together about what they saw in the picture. Then they chose the best sentence within their group and presented one. The first student to find the person described by the other groups (we had a huge printout on the blackboard in addition to 1 per student) won a point for their team. I think the students enjoyed it a lot. I think it took us 1 1/2 lessons though, because the writing portion took up a longer chunk of time than we planned for.  Overall it was a pretty fun lesson!

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
Normally I don't have classes on Mondays until 7:45pm, but I just came in and realized I've got 2 back-to-back classes in the afternoon helping another teacher and entered momentary crisis mode as I was planning on spending the day figuring out a lesson for the evening.

In such situations I scour the YETI site for any idea that will jog my brain. Seeing this thread reminded me of a lesson I did way back in the fall for Where's Waldo, or as they call it "Wally". My lessons aren't very cute or embellished like other people's but if anyone is stuck and wants and easy lesson, you can try this.

Even at the 3 nen sei level, students struggle to grasp prepositions, so I use this exercise to knock it in to them. I go over the vocab they will need at the beginning (it's circus themed) so they can make the sentences properly. They're going to forget the vocab, but I don't care - it's more important for them to understand prepositions.

There's 3 practice sentences for each preposition, and then I tell the students to pick one person on the picture and write 3 sentences of their own. Afterward, students volunteer (for hankos/chocolate) to read their 3 sentences. If nobody can guess, they get more points, if someone guesses the points are split.

I grabbed the picture off Google, which isn't the greatest (esp. in Black-and-white) but it was the best looking one I found where you didn't need to use colour to describe the placement of people or objects.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
Good stuff Josie!

My students actually have a big prepositio & conjunction test coming up so this is golden right now! Thanks  :mrgreen:
B