Author Topic: Fess up. How did you do it?  (Read 2525 times)

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
Fess up. How did you do it?
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
There are at least a few bilingual if not very close to Japanese speakers on here. What approach did you take in moving past textbooks/ "advanced" study and getting a feel for the language?
I feel like I've been at a plateau for a while and plugging away with my books and chatting with Japanese mates doesn't seem to add up to me improving, at least not at the rate which I want.
How did you progress to something more like a second language, or is it a case of patiently chipping away at non-understanding until it all adds up enough?
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

Zero Cool

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • like a space flight with an intergalactic magician
    • View Profile
    • Jaredventures!
Re: Fess up. How did you do it?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
During the last four semesters of undergrad my Japanese language T.A. had us write opinion-based blog articles of increasing length and difficulty on a variety of topics (citing Japanese sources, using quotes, etc.). What really helped about this was the absurdly short time between due dates. Nowadays I wouldn't bat an eye at writing a 1200 character blog entry, but at the time it was awful, especially in a twenty-four hour period. I detested it, but everyone either improved quickly or dropped the class.
Shin: Jiro was smiling at three o'clock, but now he's crying.
Ms. Green: Good.
          -NH 3:3

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
During the last four semesters of undergrad my Japanese language T.A. had us write opinion-based blog articles of increasing length and difficulty on a variety of topics (citing Japanese sources, using quotes, etc.). What really helped about this was the absurdly short time between due dates. Nowadays I wouldn't bat an eye at writing a 1200 character blog entry, but at the time it was awful, especially in a twenty-four hour period. I detested it, but everyone either improved quickly or dropped the class.

That's a good idea. Keeping the pressure on would certainly help my exposition, and having a direction beats aimless rote any day of the week. Thanks for the idea.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Two tricks:

One - Read!  Once your ability to read kanji is good enough, read as much as you can.  You'd be surprised at how quickly you can recall things that you read whenever you engage in conversation.  Further, it's risk-free (no penalty for mistakes) and it's native, pure Japanese.  You can learn to imitate it. 

Two - Get a Japanese girlfriend or boyfriend.  Sounds really terse to just say find a mate, but it works.  The ultimate obstacle to fluency is learning to express your feelings in that language.  If you're in a relationship, you'll want to express your full "kimochi" and you gradually realize you're becoming fluent. 
-TB

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
I do those two. Well, I haven't met a Japanese sigot here, but I have other friends and drinking buddies. And still chipping away at my novels (finally got through the Harry Potter series).
So no substitutes  for putting in the hours then :roll:

Phillip

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Manga mate.  A lot of stuff that is just plain not in the dictionary or some serious slang problems you run into but -- find a manga your interested in, no matter the level of it and start cracking it at blurb by blurb.  A kinda fun thing that got me a little more interested in it is instead of reading the Japanese and going ''Ok, I get it'' and moving on.  Sit down with a pen and pad and try to make a translation of it.  You'll find out quick how much grammar your not completely understanding or stuff you just kinda brush over and go ''Well, I got the general gist of that''.  Trying to transfer it to English makes you a bit more accountable to yourself with how much you know to how much you can bullshit.

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
Mm, I worked through 30+ volumes of Shijou saikyou no deshi like that, and a lot of random things, as well as doing some scanlating for manga forums. Most popular manga run furigana though, and don't use as many kanji as do novels.
Also, the more time I spend in Japan and realise that the anime and manga cliches are both true and self-fulfilling prophecies here the more depressed I get. Teaching at JHS means that most of my students basically talk in manga-speech, say things like "itsunoma ni?!" whenever I appear in class and they don't hear me.... etc.
Working on translation is something I should do more though. Good reminder.

Luna

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
I decided to bump this topic because I NEED HELP!   :oops:

I have had the goal of passing JLPT level 2 forever.  I've started taking two 1-hour lessons a week, and I do little things on the side like reading or talking to co-workers in Japanese while at work.  I am still ages away from 2-kyu, and I know that my problem is this:  I hate studying alone.

Even if I'm not studying the same thing as other people, I'm just so bored to be doing it alone!  So, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in something like a Japanese study group?  Maybe we could bounce ideas or motivation off of one another?

I'm a huge dork.

And this is different than the Japanese class thread, so I decided to post it seperately.

Sincerely,
-Help me pass 2-kyu  ^-^-

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
i tried this with Elena, but am notoriously unreliable.  Maybe you could take on-line lessons too?  MLC in Tokyo offers them through skype and they're reasonable.  It's also a good school.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Luna

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Hm, good idea.  Thanks!  No takers then huh  :-P

TiffanyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • ♬♩♫
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
I decided to bump this topic because I NEED HELP!   :oops:

I have had the goal of passing JLPT level 2 forever.  I've started taking two 1-hour lessons a week, and I do little things on the side like reading or talking to co-workers in Japanese while at work.  I am still ages away from 2-kyu, and I know that my problem is this:  I hate studying alone.

Even if I'm not studying the same thing as other people, I'm just so bored to be doing it alone!  So, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in something like a Japanese study group?  Maybe we could bounce ideas or motivation off of one another?

I'm a huge dork.

And this is different than the Japanese class thread, so I decided to post it seperately.

Sincerely,
-Help me pass 2-kyu  ^-^-

I'd be interested in studying with you, Lana!  Bonus: we're practically neighbors!   ^-^
I could use some motivation to learn more Japanese...!
明日は明日の風が吹く。

Luna

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
Yay! One taker.

TiffanyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • ♬♩♫
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Yay! One taker.

Yup!  Do you have any study materials?  I didn't bring anything from home.  I completed 4th year Japanese at university, but have kind of forgotten a lot of the more advanced stuff that I once knew.  I'm not sure about your level of Japanese, but you sounded fairly conversationally fluent when we were touring all the exciting places around Fuefuki a few weeks ago!!
明日は明日の風が吹く。