Author Topic: English Club  (Read 5667 times)

heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
English Club
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
Another Q from me....who here runs an English club at their school (high and otherwise)?

The English club at Nirasaki high didn't exist for the past 8 months but we are wanting to get it up and running again.  I would love to hear any ideas you all have for activities, games, lessons, or projects.  The JTE with whom I will work on the English club wants to read newspapers.  That's all she said.  My thought was, no wonder all the students dropped the club!

Help, all ye creative teaching minds!

Thanks........

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: English Club
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
I am starting a club in my school between this month and next. There has never been one here (or not in the recent past at least) so it is pretty experimental.

We are planning to play games (cards, boards, etc), expand on a project we are already doing which is to make a map of the local area for tourists with some good restaurants and stuff, cooking (foods that they would not necessarily be exposed to - or that are at least representative of other countries), set up a pen-pal programme with a school in Ireland, and probably more...

I haven't done any of this yet so I just basically told you our ideas. I can expand on anything if you want.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
I have had a few English club sessions.  It has been difficult to have students come on a regular basis due to sports and art clubs that they are members off.  I haven't really played a whole lot of board games and such, but if you can get your hands on games like scrabble, that would make for a fun session.  I usually played conversation games with the students.  I would start off by asking them about school, their weekends, their families and such.  After, I would play "what if" games.  i.e "what if you had one day to live? What would you want to do"  or "what is one place you want to go to"  This gives them an opportunity to speak English outside of the box, so to speak.  Sorry I don't have much more to offer

Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
The JTE with whom I will work on the English club wants to read newspapers.  That's all she said.  My thought was, no wonder all the students dropped the club!

Maybe you could look into getting hold of some British tabloids. They're full of lurid indignation and celebrity sleaze. The kids would love them. And they're full of interesting uses of English, too - words and phrases like 'top totty', or 'fella', or 'pal' or 'boffin' that don't exist in regular English English usage outside the world of tabloid journalese

eg. here.

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
The JTE with whom I will work on the English club wants to read newspapers.  That's all she said.  My thought was, no wonder all the students dropped the club!

Maybe you could look into getting hold of some British tabloids. They're full of lurid indignation and celebrity sleaze. The kids would love them. And they're full of interesting uses of English, too - words and phrases like 'top totty', or 'fella', or 'pal' or 'boffin' that don't exist in regular English English usage outside the world of tabloid journalese

eg. here.

And they also have topless models in them :D

The Badger Baron of Shizuoka

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • "Pants on head retarded"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:01 AM »

eg. here.

Bit of blue for lads heh heh heh 

Sorry had to go there.

Hokuto's English club has been pretty much the same stuff with students having other clubs and what not.

But our few days we usually have English party that involves English music and also Movie night, recently been getting them into Dr. Who.

Other times we have board games ranging from Scrabble, pictionary and monopoly, other times we have the random conversation day i.e the what ifs... 
Rabble rabble rabble

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »
For our English Club, we like to bake things that are from different countries.  Again, sometimes Its difficult to meet all the time, but we try for at least 2 times a month.  It also helped that the girls in my English club are all big videogamers, so I would bring in my PS3, PSP, DS and so on and show them games in English.  We would play through a level together, with no translation.

We also sit and talk a lot.  Sometimes, the easiest and most effective thing is to just sit in a circle, with snacks and such, and ask them questions, let them ask questions, and just talk.

If i think of anything else, I'll let you know.

"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »

I thought they had phased out the topless models - but they're still full of 'stunners' (another word exclusive to tabloid news).

Oh, and I once went to a party that was described, the next day in The News of the World as a Toff's Kinky Fetish Party. Toff is another brilliant tabloid word.

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

I thought they had phased out the topless models - but they're still full of 'stunners' (another word exclusive to tabloid news).

Oh, and I once went to a party that was described, the next day in The News of the World as a Toff's Kinky Fetish Party. Toff is another brilliant tabloid word.

I try to avoid the tabloids as much as possible but last time I checked they still had the topless models.

Also the website you linked has a link to Page 3 girls. Being in work i can't check it to see but I woudl expect them to be topless.

Taurus

• Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
I try to avoid the tabloids as much as possible but last time I checked they still had the topless models.

Looks like you're right.

lyzengar

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
When I first got here, English club consisted of several 3-nen girls who came once or twice to oggle the new gaijin, then stopped coming due to getting ready for juken and whatnot.  This year, I had no memebers until the last minute when 4 2-nens randomly signed up.  I never really had any ideas and still don't really (so this topic is of great interest to me).  However, what we usually end up doing is just talking and playing games. 

In the beginning, they enjoyed Madlibs since I could pick out simple stories and then the game could play down to their level.  Since I took a trip back to the states and was able to pick up some stuff, they usually go for Apples to Apples Jr. but I have to remember to bring a dictionary.  I like this one since it exposes them to a lot of new words (that was one problem with Madlibs.  Stop using beautiful and cute for every adjective!) and they can often figure out the meaning of the green card via its synonyms.  Scrabble is fun but a little slow-moving.  I think I might teach them to play clue next.  Pretty simple but vocal game.

I like the map idea, but doubt I could produce anything good-looking.  But I would probably just keep it for private use anyway since I don't think tourists come to Tsuru  :lol:

heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
Thanks for all of the ideas....I will certainly use some of them.  Looks like this is good/useful stuff to many of us.  Once I get rolling I will post ideas too....keep it rollin?!

lyzengar

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »
Sooooo............bump.

Looks like my English Club recruiting was a little too effective this year.  I've gone from the 3-4 of last year to (pending a final count) around 20.  Board games were easy with a small group, but what do I do with this many?  I plan to get some good mileage out of some kind of name game today with so many new faces, but I need to figure out how to keep everyone involved in the future.

KimM.

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • thanks for the pic, Jen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »
with big groups you can do some group games, watch movies, and give cooking lessons
Reach for the stars!

panda

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • tim tam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
recently, there has been little interest with there only being 6-10 members.

to avoid conflict with other club activities, the english club meets at lunch time once (or recently, twice) a week.  while we eat lunch, we usually watch dvds in english with japanese subtitles and have casual conversation about what we like/dislike, hobbies, etc.  sometimes i will talk about my recent travels, have a halloween party, or play white elephant.  they do enjoy it since it's very chill and doesn't require too much effort on their part.
:roll:, duh.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
to avoid conflict with other club activities, the english club meets at lunch time once (or recently, twice) a week.  while we eat lunch, we usually watch dvds in english with japanese subtitles and have casual conversation about what we like/dislike, hobbies, etc.  sometimes i will talk about my recent travels, have a halloween party, or play white elephant.  they do enjoy it since it's very chill and doesn't require too much effort on their part.
This is what we do too; lunchtime club twice a week and parties after school on occasion.  At lunchtime, we watch DVDs and talk.  After school, we usually make/eat food or watch a longer movie.  A lot of my kids are also in sports clubs, so meeting after school is tough.  We're doing a very late Easter party on Monday.  We're going to decorate eggs!

mackensieleigh

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »
We're going to decorate eggs!

I dyed eggs with my sixth-graders, but the entire time they just wanted to know when they could finally eat the eggs.  I tried to explain that they were decorations, not lunch, but I don't think my students really understood why a person would keep a perfectly good egg without eating it. 

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »
I dyed eggs with my sixth-graders, but the entire time they just wanted to know when they could finally eat the eggs.  I tried to explain that they were decorations, not lunch, but I don't think my students really understood why a person would keep a perfectly good egg without eating it. 
Hard-boiled eggs make a good snack and you could eat the egg, if you wanted.  Much more satisfying than letting them sit in the living room.  :lol:

I think the last time I did it, my students drew pictures of their teachers on the eggs and gave them as presents.     :-D

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
Don't you normally drain the eggs with a pin hole in the shell. How we use to make them back in the day.
Rabble rabble rabble

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »
Don't you normally drain the eggs with a pin hole in the shell. How we use to make them back in the day.

I think this is also a common technique in Ireland. However, boiling them seems like much less hassle.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Yeah true, but still you could make an omelette with the left overs ha
Rabble rabble rabble

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 02:24:19 AM »
I am starting a club in my school between this month and next. There has never been one here (or not in the recent past at least) so it is pretty experimental.

We are planning to play games (cards, boards, etc), expand on a project we are already doing which is to make a map of the local area for tourists with some good restaurants and stuff, cooking (foods that they would not necessarily be exposed to - or that are at least representative of other countries), set up a pen-pal programme with a school in Ireland, and probably more...

I haven't done any of this yet so I just basically told you our ideas. I can expand on anything if you want.

we did the menu for tourists as well 2 years ago...they will take your flyers at the station tourist info center and bus station...
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
bump.
Recently we had a day for Mexican-americans and cinco de mayo.  I'm always running low on ideas because 2 of my club members are Jehovah's Witnesses.  No Halloween, cary movies, fantasy, stories, christmas--egg hunt for them :(

So, I gave them all a worksheet on cinco de mayo, we made nachos and learned spanish.

Suddenly, all the students wanted to pick a country, make a food, and teach some of the foreing language.  English club for the next 3 months = SOLVED!

Next week is Korea, then another student is doing greece...etc.
The budget each week works out to 1000 yen (I usually subsidize)
But well worth it!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
I have a ton of money from around the world.
If you can get hold of the money as they always find it interesting.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »
bump for OxO