Author Topic: JLPT 2010  (Read 11036 times)

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
JLPT 2010
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:52 AM »
hey guys, it's that time of year again. is anyone taking the JLPT this summer/winter? i'm looking to find out more info on the JLPT (where i can take it, where i sign up, useful books, and tips for studying.) if anybody could help me out here, i'd be a very happy foreigner  :lol:
snoopy don't play dat!

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: JLPT 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
I am planning to take it in December. However, I have not looked into any of that info :/
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
i'll keep on looking into it and let you know when i find out more about it. i think we should probably be able to take it in 甲府, but i'm not 100% yet. what level JLPT are you interested in taking? i think that starting this year they're going to be offering five different levels.
snoopy don't play dat!

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
N1, N2, and N3 will be offered this summer. All five levels will be offered in December.

The info for the summer test is up: http://www.jees.or.jp/jlpt/en/jlpt_guide_2010_1st_e.html
But your application has to be postmarked by Friday, so if you're looking to take it then you should probably get moving :P
The info for the winter test probably won't be up for awhile yet (If I remember right, the application guide goes on sale sometime in July or August).

You have to buy an application packet in order to sign up.  I'm not sure of any places in the Yosh that would have it, but the bookstore on the 6th floor of the Okajima Department Store in Kofu should sell it. 

(Looks like there's a few more places that have it this year as well, if you search for bookstores in Yamanashi on the JEES website.. all are in/near Kofu though).

What level are you planning on taking? I might have some books I can sell you/lend you... they're geared toward the old test format, but the content shouldn't change too much.

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
N1, N2, and N3 will be offered this summer. All five levels will be offered in December.

The info for the summer test is up: http://www.jees.or.jp/jlpt/en/jlpt_guide_2010_1st_e.html
But your application has to be postmarked by Friday, so if you're looking to take it then you should probably get moving :P
The info for the winter test probably won't be up for awhile yet (If I remember right, the application guide goes on sale sometime in July or August).

You have to buy an application packet in order to sign up.  I'm not sure of any places in the Yosh that would have it, but the bookstore on the 6th floor of the Okajima Department Store in Kofu should sell it. 

(Looks like there's a few more places that have it this year as well, if you search for bookstores in Yamanashi on the JEES website.. all are in/near Kofu though).

What level are you planning on taking? I might have some books I can sell you/lend you... they're geared toward the old test format, but the content shouldn't change too much.

i'm looking to take level two in december, so i've been getting started on my studying already. i was thinking of taking the test in 甲府, but if they do offer it in yosh, i would definitely take that and save myself the trip and money. if you're willing to let me borrow your books for a bit, i would be ever so grateful  :-D

i don't have a whole lot of money right now, so for the first time in my life i'm being extremely frugal  :lol:
snoopy don't play dat!

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
Yeah... I think the only test site in Yamanashi is in Kofu... I'm not sure where though, as I've always taken the test in Tokyo.

I still have some level 2 stuff, which you're more than welcome to borrow.  I'll round it up and let you know what I've got.

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
thank you, thank you, thank you  :-D
snoopy don't play dat!

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
I'm planning on taking the (new) level three this July.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be studying from?  Right now I think Grammar is my weakest point.
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
I'm planning on taking the (new) level three this July.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be studying from?  Right now I think Grammar is my weakest point.

have you used smart.fm? they have a bunch of free material that is quite good (depending on who made it.) it's all user submitted material, so sometimes you might come across some mistakes but it's nothing real major. i use smart.fm quite a bit, so i fully endorse it.

http://smart.fm/

hope this helps  :-D
snoopy don't play dat!

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
There are plenty of past exams/study guides available in Okajima.
July applications close on Friday, people!
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
Thanks Nate, thanks Jon.

Eek, 2 months to get my grammar up to scratch.  Can this be done!? Might as well give it a shot, I suppose  :lol:

nate nate nate

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
Thanks Nate, thanks Jon.

Eek, 2 months to get my grammar up to scratch.  Can this be done!? Might as well give it a shot, I suppose  :lol:

you can do it!!  :-D
snoopy don't play dat!

Marc!

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • The Marc of a good time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
I'll be taking the JLPT N2 this July.

Is there a reason one would take the test in Tokyo rather than Kofu? It seems that several people from Yamanashi have been taking this test in Tokyo, but the application paperwork leads me to believe that your address strictly determines your testing site...

Also, where would one recommend I get my picture done at? What are y'all doing?

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »
I was just about to ask the same question for the picture (nothing special, I am assuming, just like a photobooth shot would be ok?)

I know that a few people took the test in Tokyo last december, so it's not strictly based on your address (unless that has changed and I missed it) but I guess the draw to taking it in tokyo is. . .well, you get to spend the afternoon/evening in Tokyo after a particularly gruelling morning of testing. . . . ?

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
I'll be taking the JLPT N2 this July.

Is there a reason one would take the test in Tokyo rather than Kofu? It seems that several people from Yamanashi have been taking this test in Tokyo, but the application paperwork leads me to believe that your address strictly determines your testing site...

Also, where would one recommend I get my picture done at? What are y'all doing?

Get pictures done in a passport photo machine-- there's one next to the bookshop in Kofu station and plenty others around. Get a few done and you can use them for next time too.
I took it last time in Tokyo too< and ran into Hayakawa John while I was there. Perhaps you just wanted to go to Tokyo at the time? Its not your address that determines your site, but the application area top where you circle your region. I circled Kanto, ie I got given a test site in Tokyo. This caters to your travelling/whatever arrangements
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
someone should poke the new council about the sayonara party.  i think it's typically scheduled for the first saturday in July, but last year it conflicted with the JLPT (no one wants to party all night then take an important test the next day), so it was moved to the following weekend.

just something to consider now instead of, say, june.

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
someone should poke the new council about the sayonara party.  i think it's typically scheduled for the first saturday in July, but last year it conflicted with the JLPT (no one wants to party all night then take an important test the next day), so it was moved to the following weekend.

A valid point. Last year this was a point of conflict and seeing as we didnt tackle it until late it caused me a lot of stress.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Marc!

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • The Marc of a good time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »
Its not your address that determines your site, but the application area top where you circle your region. I circled Kanto, ie I got given a test site in Tokyo. This caters to your travelling/whatever arrangements

That's true. Hmm, maybe I could just do it in Tokyo then. Where did you end up taking yours Jon? Shinjuku? I hope that by placing "Kanto" they don't put me all the way in Chiba or Ibaraki or something...

Thanks for the picture suggestions. So right after posting here I asked my JTE were she might know of a place to get pictures done, and sure enough she asked someone who asked someone and at that point the whole office knew about it, and my secretary has now offered to help out by taking my picture FOR me using the school's digital camera/photographic paper. He's currently printing it out and trimming it as I type this. God my school rocks  :-D

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
Its not your address that determines your site, but the application area top where you circle your region. I circled Kanto, ie I got given a test site in Tokyo. This caters to your travelling/whatever arrangements

That's true. Hmm, maybe I could just do it in Tokyo then. Where did you end up taking yours Jon? Shinjuku? I hope that by placing "Kanto" they don't put me all the way in Chiba or Ibaraki or something...

Thanks for the picture suggestions. So right after posting here I asked my JTE were she might know of a place to get pictures done, and sure enough she asked someone who asked someone and at that point the whole office knew about it, and my secretary has now offered to help out by taking my picture FOR me using the school's digital camera/photographic paper. He's currently printing it out and trimming it as I type this. God my school rocks  :-D

Well done on the pictures!
I took it at Shibuya actually, last time, there was a bunch of places set up just near the station. They definitely over-prepare in the signposting and whatnot, its not easy to miss.
If they put you anywhere that doesn't work, you have maybe a month of leeway once you get your test card to change the location. Don'T stress too much.

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
I really wanted to take the JLPT this time, but  I have my school festival on July 4th. Have to prioritize the school festival over the JLPT, but I wish I didn't have to wait until December for my next chance to take it!  :|
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Emilicious

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a clever girl. I can open doors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »

Noted. Thanks for the heads up!  :-D Good luck to anyone taking the test this summer!
Gentlemen! I wash my hands of this weirdness!

Damniel

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
If you circle Kanto (関東) for your preferred test site, you will be assigned to take the test somewhere in Tokyo. If you choose Koshin (甲信), you will take your test at Yamanashi Gakuin University near JR Sakaori station in Kofu.
Canada, Taiwan, Japan, USA, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa and couting..

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
if you choose tokyo, they usually place you at Todai University.  Take a lunch for the break, as there are over a thousand people headed for the McD aacross the street at the same time.  Also, the station there is HILARIOUSLY crowded when you finish.  Purchase your return ticket (if you don't have suica) when you arrive. Or wait an hour...or go to a diff station.

good luck!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the information, guys!  I want to take the test this summer but... I'm so behind on studying.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

Emilicious

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
Hey guys! Do you know the exact date of the JLPT in July? I wanna make sure I don't book a date that conflicts.

Thanks! 8-)

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Hey guys! Do you know the exact date of the JLPT in July? I wanna make sure I don't book a date that conflicts.

Thanks! 8-)

It's Sunday, July 4th.

Emilicious

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
register soon I think, applications are available at area bookstores and the test is in December.  Spaces for the test are limited, application form should cost 500 yen but the processing fee is around 5000 yen plus current photo.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
You can buy applications at the Okajima in Kofu if you are around that area - they are located in the bookstore.  Who's in for December?
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
You can buy applications at the Okajima in Kofu if you are around that area - they are located in the bookstore.  Who's in for December?

I'm still up in the air as to whether I want to try 1kyuu to get an idea of where I am with the new standard.