Author Topic: Doctors and Dentists  (Read 5462 times)

Offline heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Doctors and Dentists
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »
Help!
I need an English speaking doctor and I've heard there is a British dr. in Kofu....does anyone know this one or another?

Also, I need a dentist/orthodontist who ideally speaks English too...specifically, I wear a grinding splint at night and I've basically chewed my way through it (I know, scary, right?!) and need to get a new one made. Any leads?

Thanks a bunch

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Doctors and Dentists
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
I've never been to an english speaking doctor here, but I remember there being a few threads about it.  Try finding them with the search function. 

I also think there's a number you can call that will refer you to doctors in your area.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Dr Naito works at fuji naika clinic, and she is not only fluent in English, but trained in the UK and is a nationally recognized expert on caring for the terminally ill
http://www.naito-izumi.net/

Just down the street from Kofu First High School, right before Denny's (Buses from Kofu station or a 15 minute walk...)

4 of the 5 dentists at Yamanashi City's Fujiwara clinic speak English very well

http://www.hospita.jp/1050267/

http://park23.wakwak.com/~fdc/
a 20 minute walk straight from the station
If you spend any length of time in Japan, I suggest you add fluoride to your drinking water...the lack of it REALLY takes a toll on your teeth.

I am actually going to the dentist tomorrow if you want to come?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:34:48 PM by Plum cake »
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
If you spend any length of time in Japan, I suggest you add fluoride to your drinking water...the lack of it REALLY takes a toll on your teeth.

Speaking of fluoride, where can one get it here?  I've got the beginnings of a cavity and I want to stop this before it happens.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »

Speaking of fluoride, where can one get it here?  I've got the beginnings of a cavity and I want to stop this before it happens.

I have to ask my dentist for it, or have someone ship diluted drops to you---I have a feeling my dentist is going to say he cannot give it to me.

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
wtf... i guess japan believes the fluoride conspiracy theories?

Offline heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »
So I've been putting off dentist/doctor/eye doctor since about September 2009 and I now just need to buck up.  It's hard though when I read all of the stories fellow YETIs have written over the years.  All of my fears seem true....

Thanks for the lead on the dentist....now for an eye doctor who speaks at least a tiny bit of English...and a place to get new glasses/contacts.

So how does it work here? Insurance, from what I understand, doesn't cover anything...does the extra JET insurance? And, from what my coworkers tell me, there aren't a lot of eye doctor's offices where you can get contact prescriptions filled. Equally, many of the eye glasses shops don't actually have eye doctors.  Of course, at this point I expect nothing to make sense but maybe someone who has done this can help with suggestions. ???????????

Kofu/Nirasaki area eye dr? Gracias!

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
I went to an actual eye doctor rather than an optician to get my eyes checked for getting new glasses. Being a doctors office rather than a glasses shop/opticians I got my visit and prescription for under 1000yen which I assume is because it was covered by my insurance. I then took that prescription to a glasses shop and got new glasses.

I would advise you do the same if you can find an eye doctor that you can go to with minimal hassle. Mine is in Fujiyoshida so that isn't much use to you.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Nattheninja

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
I just went to Megane Super in Kofu, it's near the vault. You have to take the eye test in Japanese, but it's not that hard. They also fit you for contacts. You get to see an optician for this, rather than just the regular salesperson doing your exam, with various machines. They check your eyes to see if they're OK for contacts etc.

If I did it, you can do it. It was 2 years ago and my Japanese was awful. Also, the beauty of this system is they have an online website, so if you get your contacts and you like them, you can fill out an order online when you need some more and get them delivered to your door. Works out cheaper too.
I can still order online and it has been 2 years since my contact examination, which would be illegal in my country. But it's dead convenient for me as I live in the boonies, and don't often have time to get to the opticians.
I put the ass ass in ASSASSin

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
I just went to Megane Super in Kofu, it's near the vault. You have to take the eye test in Japanese, but it's not that hard. They also fit you for contacts. You get to see an optician for this, rather than just the regular salesperson doing your exam, with various machines. They check your eyes to see if they're OK for contacts etc.

If I did it, you can do it. It was 2 years ago and my Japanese was awful. Also, the beauty of this system is they have an online website, so if you get your contacts and you like them, you can fill out an order online when you need some more and get them delivered to your door. Works out cheaper too.
I can still order online and it has been 2 years since my contact examination, which would be illegal in my country. But it's dead convenient for me as I live in the boonies, and don't often have time to get to the opticians.
the exam is pretty straight-forward....instead of aeiou, they use katakana, or if you cannot read, they use an eye chart with semi-circles.
I went to megane super as well, 1 block east from the vault.

Offline SallyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Like Nat, I went to megane super in kofu too.  They were really efficient and I didn't need to talk much.

I go to Fujihara clinic in Yamanashishi for dental check-ups, and there is one really good English speaking doctor there, though he isn't the main doctor that does the final check.  Let me know if you want the phone number.

Offline heddenswest

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for all the info!
Megane super...is that the one near the Chateraise sweets shop on a ped. walk way? No worries! I'll find it.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
There are a number of glasses shops around Okajima. Try them all out before committing as I found a huge difference (about 8000 yen) in the price per lense when I went to get a replacement.

Offline Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
Megane super had a sale on when I got my glasses.  I didnt have to pay for the lenses at all (I have an insanely high prescription) and my glasses, including brand new lenses and frames, came to 12600 yen....which is fantastic when you think of how expensive they are back home....

and from what I could gather, at megane super, you never pay for lenses. . . I dunno, I might have misunderstood....either way, check if they have that sale...
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
Megane super had a sale on when I got my glasses.  I didnt have to pay for the lenses at all (I have an insanely high prescription) and my glasses, including brand new lenses and frames, came to 12600 yen....which is fantastic when you think of how expensive they are back home....

and from what I could gather, at megane super, you never pay for lenses. . . I dunno, I might have misunderstood....either way, check if they have that sale...

Now that is a deal!

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
megane super (the glasses place) is having a huge sale now: glasses and lenses are 4900-7900 total.  Until August 31st.

Offline Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »
megane super (the glasses place) is having a huge sale now: glasses and lenses are 4900-7900 total.  Until August 31st.

For all their frames, or just certain ones?  Damn, and I just bought new ones before summer....though it's never too bad to have spares, right?
Stop questioning society, foreigner.

Offline Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Okay, to bring up an old (but still relevant topic), I just knocked a rather large chunk out of one of my teeth--does anyone know of an English-speaking dentist actually in Kofu?  I have a major fear of dentists anyways, and really don't want to have to take the train to Yamanshi for it.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Guess you're sorted by now? Old thread and no replies...
Dunno a Kofu one but do know one in Isawa.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Guess you're sorted by now? Old thread and no replies...
Dunno a Kofu one but do know one in Isawa.

Can I get that info?  :-D
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
New fluent English speaking dentist right at kofu station!  Modern!  Studied at the university of Washington !  Board certified in the US and Japan!  Wow!

http://ishibedds.com/English/
1-2 minute walk from kofu north exit.

Offline aredheadinjapan

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I'm Dale. I live in Kofu. I teach at Unitas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
For everyone's reference, an English-speaking dentist can be found at miho Kyousei Shika Clinic (Correctional Dental Clinic). It's in Kami Imai (I think by Kose Sports Park) but you can call them and have them pick you up and take you there. The number is 055-249-8161. I think there is more than one English-speaking dentist, but Miho, the main doctor, studied in Iowa and speaks great English.