Author Topic: Feedback on Nobuko's Sensei's Demo/Classes  (Read 9565 times)

Drew!

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Nobuko's Sensei's Demo/Classes
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
i'll be there on the 19th and 26th.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »

Mika Sensei is leaving the beginning of November...It looks like she has Oct. 22 and 29th available...both Fridays. How about we give her a proper send off? Maybe at The Rink? Are both dates OK? I'm recommending the 22nd. But I'm flexible. Please let me know as she wants to reserve the date a.s.a.p.
Wanna study Japanese with Nobuko Sensei? Check out her weekly lessons. See details under the Yeti forum  "Learning Japanese".

keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
Can't do the 22nd. The 29th isn't great either to be honest, but it's possible.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
At this moment, I think both dates are okay for me.

What about meeting at a restaurant or izakaya downtown?  Depending on how many people are also at the Rink, it may be harder to have a conversation.  At a restaurant or izakaya, we can be in our own little group.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
Hello,
Thursday night Pre-Intermediate Class...

Beth will be gone on the 22nd. Rob and others seem available on the 29th.  I have yet to hear from Katrina...I say, we jump on the chance and do the 29th.

I know Halloween is the next day but we don't have to stay out late. And I imagine that we would likely agree that mixing Halloween with a Farewell Party for Mika would not work...(I think I will invite her to show up at the Rink/Vault on the 30th if she wants...I assume Halloween will be the Sat.)

Anybody interested in the Okinawan restaurant next to Melody on Iida Dori? But I think it is too noisy as the inside is small and the few tables are only seperated by decorative white curtains...it is popular but I've yet to eat there. Or an Izakaia...on a Friday night a restaurant in Ekland might be quieter but low on atmosphere. Which place is kinda festive/popular but not smokey and quiet? Please give me your recommendations...

OHHH...I know a Thai place that is really elegant and quieter, south of Kofu eki 10 min by car...it is quieter, cheap and has great food and atmosphere and a semi-private big tatami table ...I recommend it! But is Thai food ok for you all? I can double check if it is all spicy or not and if she likes spicy food...

Nevertheless, where ever we eat, how about Oct. 29th meet at Kofu eki? Do you want to meet at 7pm or earlier?

Is anyone driving? Rob, Michelle,Katrina,Drew,Beth wanna share a taxi from Kofu eki or I can take 3 in the back of my car. I don't recall if Mika drinks.

I know that Mika speaks English often at class parties as I asked her when I first interviewed her. So that is ok with me...but is it what you are expecting? Her English level is pretty fluent if you have never spoken to her in English I'm sure she would appreciate the chance.

I'm thinking we should share the cost of her dinner/drinks and if she wants to drink I could likely drive her if need be.

I recommend we invite Nobuko Sensei too.
Wanna study Japanese with Nobuko Sensei? Check out her weekly lessons. See details under the Yeti forum  "Learning Japanese".

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Also Mika's private students are welcome to join. Emily, Amanda, Hang and whoever else studies with her please let me know soon if we should expect you.

Mika says the Thai restaurant is fine for her and she will get her own ride/car.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:23:47 PM by Bonbon »

Drew!

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
Sounds good.   As of right now, I'm planning on going, so count me in please. 

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
Sorry I haven't answered - yeah, the 29th is fine. I should be able to go.
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
I booked the small, kinda new, always genki, Okinawan Restaurant directly next to Melody Kareoke on Iida Dori. This is very near Kofu eki just 8 minutes on foot. From Kofu eki walk south on right hand side, about only one block to the camera shop. Shop has a big cartoon of a boy in a cap on the sign. This is the intersection for Haeiwa Dori and Iida Dori turn towards the Immigration Center and Jonathan's Restaurant. The Okinawan Restaurant is just past Jonathan's and Melody Kareoke.  Meet there Oct. 29th 7:00pm. Seating for 8 comfortably. I have not heard from anyone else other than below. I had to book as both places I had in mind are very busy. I assume the private students are not interested but if they are we might be able to squeeze in 1 or 2 more.

There is taco rice and a papaya salad, and many dishes appear reasonably priced. One beer is 500 yen. You can order nomihodai from 7 to 9pm for 2,000 yen. I don't know if we have to all agree in order to get nomihodai. I doubt it as some will drive. They said you can decide once arriving.... But if you don't mind please decide now and let me know so we can get our drink on as soon as we arrive. Ordering will take some time as there aren't any photos no the menus nor take-out menus for me to post here.

Just an after thought...we could do kareoke afterwards?..But the next night is Halloween so you might wanna take it easy.
Mika
Nobuko
Katrina
Michelle
Beth
Drew
Rob

Oh crap, I just realized I have to go back and check the date that I booked. It should be Oct. 29th 7pm. I gotta confirm the date with you again. While I'm at it you didn't wanna meet a little earlier did you? Let me know.
Bonnie
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:31:06 PM by Bonbon »

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
hey, I'm so sorry, but I need to back out. I had forgotten there was something else I committed to.  :-(
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
I may be a little late tomorrow. I'm having a packaged delivered between 5 and 7, so I can't leave until it comes. hopefully it'll be there before 6 though.

Also, is there parking or will i need to use a pay lot?

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
Hi,
Ok, looks like Katrina is out...and Nobuko too!

Beth, parking at Melody should be fine, there is always room but if you are nervous then yes, you will have to use a pay lot, sorry!

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
I may be late too.  I have English club tonight, but we should be done around 6 or 6:30.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »
Hey Beth, Drew, and Welcome Back Katrina, since you were at class tonight, I need your feedback.

I talked to Nobuko after class. I had a number of recommendations and a couple questions for her. We were studying the "to make someone do something" verb...and when she introduced to "make someone put on a hat/clothes"...The grammar "to make someone do something" I wonder if it is not rather an advanced grammar? I wonder if there are not other grammar points one should learn before this?

I just didn't understand her direction and purpose.

It is only moderately useful in my life and not something I'm excited to study. I can ask any kid at school to teach it to me how to say "wear things" ect. I want to be interested in what I'm learning. Sorry, I'm a tough sell. What grammar do you want to learn?

I realize this class is only once a week but there is no regular or monthly summary of vocabulary review. She doesn't make a vocabulary list. Nothing measurable. No review quiz. She doesn't check my spelling/translation in my notes as she is too busy talking and keeping a "rein" on the class. But I know she is trying. learning when/how to give the class freedom and breath is one of the hardest things.

She asked us to take the verbs/grammar, describe our friends' clothes and use the correct verb with the "teiru" form for putting on: hat/necklace/shirt/pants etc.. Maybe this is not a big step but I would call this production not practice.

I think it would be good if she would separate 1. teaching a concept, from 2. practice and  3. production. I want to do more drill before we are asked to take something which has barely been taught and struggle to fluently adapt it to a new situation.Yes, some pressure is good but being put "on the spot" to produce but after only listening to an explanation is poor technique.  We all struggled somewhat to do it fluently without much spoken drill in class. I feel frustrated when the teacher's talk time is much more than mine.

I'm sorry to break into so much English and show frustration during class but I was really frustrated and confused with her direction.

Last week she told me that Katrina was coming. So, I expected that she had prepared accordingly, adapting however she might need to catch Katrina up to speed. Teaching the basic conjugation of the "to make someone do something" form, I think, is not so hard. One week ago, when she taught it. I felt she was rather long winded, finally explained very simply how to conjugate which left just enough time left in class to figure out how to make the grammar practical to my life.

As I recall, one week ago, there was also no worksheet. She introduced the new grammar which we reviewed today...so I would have expected a worksheet so I don't have to keep up listening 100% of the time (which is kinda what she expects) and making notes. Was she unprepared last week? It seemed random to introduce the grammar "how to make someone do something" and kinda unrelated to recent topics/worksheets. If you recall, I asked how can I make the most recent verb form useful to me at school.

On another topic, last week Nobuko told me she was expecting Katrina today. Katrina, this is in absolutely NO way, your problem. We are very glad to see you and you did just fine!

Today, Nobuko said to me that she "changed her lesson plan" when she "realized that Katrina" was indeed attending. Nobuko directly said to me that she was not prepared for your attendance (?!). I was very displeased by this...perhaps it is cultural as Japanese confirm events/times/attendance much more often than we do I think.

I sympathize with Nobuko that sometimes students are absent and others show-up. So, she changed to what she assumed was a simple topic of "putting on clothes" so that she could add the "make someone do something" form to it. But, I think she with very simple explanation she should have been able to catch Katrina up on the grammar from last week without introducing "to wear something" which made it too complicated too early.

I understand her intention but she should have thought more about it or asked us if we were ready to combine 2 concepts....my opinion she assumed we would be confident about the forms of "putting on/to wear" even though we've never been taught it here

A teacher has to be able to adapt to all kinds of situations no matter how unexpected or frustrating. I have emergency lessons that can be adapted to review past grammar. I expected she would have adaptable lesson structures for unexpected situations like when an absent student returns... I know she doesn't want regular attendees to be bored if she has to catch someone up. Ultimately, if she would break the lessons down into one point each time then it is easy for others to catch-up.

She told me that today she wanted to continue teaching from the copy of the long example "Email" worksheet. We have been working on that for about 3 weeks. So, I suggested that if she wants to teach us from long "letters" or long or extensive reading samples, then could we do part of one, a paragraph, each week so that it is easy to review the vocabulary and easy for absent or returning students to match the pace and get caught up to speed. I emphasized it twice. But, for some reason, she did not react to this at all.

In fact, last week we talked about her making a worksheet (similar to the e-mail we had been studying right?) We had asked her to write new furigana by hand more clearly, and also enlarge it the Kanji. I thought we would be studying a new e-mail or sheet of writing today....so I was kinda confused.

So if you have any advice or questions at all for her please do e-mail her this week. Please be honest with her, I'm trying to get her used to my way of thinking but she doesn't seem to be very reactive.....maybe it needs more time.
Bonnie

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:12:07 PM by Bonbon »

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
I'm a slow learner regardless of what I'm learning, but I think I did fine eventually catching on to the grammar point and then applying it.

But huh, maybe she didn't actually believe I would show up Thursday night what with my history of being absent for a long time.

-George Bernard Shaw

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »
Well, nevertheless, she sure pissed me off.

I'm sorry to bore you all to tears with my long rant. I'm sure it complex and maybe convoluted...And I know I can come off as a "Old Bag" but really, I still feel the same. I think she did not plan for the last 2 lessons. It seems like she chose the current grammar randomly.

This grammar she is teaching, has anyone studied it before? Does anyone have a Japanese textbook like Genki or Minna No Nihongo? Can anyone tell me what level it is?

Do you still want to review Mika's grammar points? I really would like to build fluency with them.

We don't use a textbook so do you think she should have a short term/long term plan? I once asked her if she would plan one....If you want to review our old grammar then please mention it to her in class...I can't say everything or I will come across like a old bag...you are all likely scared of me already!!!   :lol: :evil: and just for kicks this face too  :mrgreen:

Drew!

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

This will seem totally random and out of the blue and whatnot, but I just joined a Taiko club this week and we have a practice on Thursday nights so....I had to drop the class. 

But I had a great time studying with you all and I think you're all cool people!  Good luck with Nihongo!

--drew

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »
That's too bad...but good luck with Taiko!

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 02:27:51 PM »
Hi,
Well Drew, we are sorry to have you go as you know from my PM. I'm sorry to lose your attendance as you certainly add color and help balance the academic level. You are rather laid back so it is good to have someone to add balance. You help me stay in perspective.

I do have a request, if anyone finds they are having a hard time attending the class or if anyone intends to quit, I would appreciate if you would let me know before you do. Also give the teacher a "heads up". If you are studying elsewhere then why not ask Nobuko to review the grammar you are studying...Don't spread yourself too thin. If you must quit, then I would also appreciate if at your last class, if you would confirm you are leaving and say good-bye.

Also, if you have decided or are intending to take a private lesson with Nobuko please let me/us know. Nobuko has not told me as much as Mika did and it makes it awkward for me to speak on her behalf or the students' behalf after the facts/situation. Perhaps communication/updates from the students via the forum has also been abit weak since Mika left. Please keep us updated.

Nobuko has a particular hope for the group, that we will all "Gumon through distractions and maintain a healthy and happy group". She feels very strong about this but has made a point to accomodate our lifestyles/work situations. She hopes if you will be absent that it won't be for long and that you will be eager to come back to the group.

Nobuko is really hard up for cash. She doesn't have any work other than a few students. She wants to teach Japanese and that means having another job is difficult to schedule, let alone get in this economy. She is dedicated to the class but if we can't keep it running she may have to get a night job at an eikawa or something.

Well, ultimatley we pay by month, not by term so perhaps we do feel maybe a little more freedom than we ought to...Usually Japanese students either attend for pretty consistantly and also pay for all the days and often pay for all the days even if they plan to take a holiday when class is in session.

Since Nobuko's financial situation is so poor she will likely be reverting to the system I originally recommended. Please be prepared to pay her for December and tell her this week (last full week in November) when you plan to take holidays in December. I expect she will not charge you for classes you plan to miss in December...that is IF you tell her and pay her before the end of November.

Do you have any grammar points you want to review? Please say! Can you think of anyone who could replace Drew? Please invite...

Bonnie

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:35:37 PM by Bonbon »

Drew!

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
You're right Bonnie, in retrospect it's not really cool to just up and leave like I did, taking my monthly fee with me.  Joining Taiko was a spur of the moment decision, and I wasn't thinking ahead and obviously i didn't think about anyones feelings enough.  I feel really bad about it now, it wasn't my intention to be this disrespectful or hurt any feelings, I just wasn't thinking.

So, for what it's worth, I apologize for leaving with no notice or stopping in to say goodbye.  I wish I'd done that alot differently, although I definitely want to pursue taiko over class, I really disrespected Sensei and all of you by quitting this way, of course I apologized to her last week, but now after thinking about it some more, I think i'd best do it again.  I hope you guys can accept my apology :oops:

I hope you guys continue the class and have a good time doing it,

drew

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:50:07 PM by Drew! »

keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
Drew, I'm sad you left and it was very sudden, but I don't think you should feel obliged to tell anyone, other than the teacher, what your plans are.

I hope to see you around sometime.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2010, 12:59:48 AM »
Hey, your welcome to have a different opinion and voice it. I am speaking not only on my behalf but on behalf of Nobuko who again talked to me about this situation today so I again tried to help her accept that Drew is committed to Taiko and can't be expected back. I accept it. This is life. I said to Nobuko and Drew, had I known Drew had several different areas of Japanese study going on I might have been able to suggest a strategy/choices to help him feel less overwhelmed. As Nobuko said, learning is not always a steady climb, there are plateaus. There is so much to study and I remember wanting to improve everything, I got frustrated when I reached a learning plateau and needed advice. I would appreciate a chance to offer a perspective that might cause students to reconsider leaving. (There are days I don't feel like coming but I keep in mind that a group requires people so I rarely miss.) Never the less, everyone should have a physical hobby and Drew still takes private lessons so that is good.

The reason, I prefer to know before anyone "stops showing up" is because I started the group and feel some responsibility to all group members and my own learning. When students are absent/quit the dynamic changes. It can also be hard for the teacher to know how to much to teach as Nobuko worries about how to "catch-up" absent students so that the class flows. She has to adapt when we are absent and like any good teacher has to act like it doesn't throw her off. I have noticed she has a little trouble adapting and has impulsively completely changed her lesson plan a couple times which also unintentionally changed her direction/goals.  Also, she expects that I try to replace students so she can maintain the income she is expecting. I have had private lessons in the past and found it extremely hard to get teachers who would show up on time and they never prepared at all so I don't want the group to disintegrate.

I also like my classmates a lot. I miss you Michelle!

Cheers, Bon

I thought today's class was really good especially because I had a nap before and was kinda my more jovial self. Currently she is building on concepts which is great. She asked what you want to study. If you want 1 or 2 day, one point review lessons of Mika's grammar points just say, I generally carry my book of copies.

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
Why should we be reviewing stuff we did with Mika-sensei, in class?  It's been a few months since we changed teachers.  We should be moving on to new topics, and studying stuff we don't get by ourselves or with a private tutor or asking Nobuko-sensei outside of class time.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
I was thinking "review" not as in re-teach but as in challenge our fluency with what we learned through a warm-up or quiz or something. We don't have a curriculum so there are no scheduled end of chapter reviews. The advantage of (good) textbooks is that everything you learn gets repeated throughout new chapters.

I think I'm still not solid on all the conditional forms how about you? What would you like to study? Will we see you this week?

kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
I'm out of the loop - was there a lesson last week and is there one this week?
-George Bernard Shaw

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
I don't think there was one last week, at least I didn't go.

There should be one tonight.

Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
Hi,
How is the class going for you? Things seem ok, I just thought I would ask. Hi, to Drew too. How are you?