Author Topic: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN  (Read 16212 times)

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
The story is called THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN. At least it's not GOZOBARO again, right? Wrong!

Okay, first of all, who is responsible for picking this story? I mean, which Japanese person is responsible for it? I had to do a search IN JAPANESE on Wikipedia to find out who this person even was. There was no English page for him. Of all the possible stories you could choose, why must this competition keep highlighting notable people in the prefecture? Why not something/one more famous and the general public, outside Yamanashi, might know.

Second of all, who is the person proof-reading the story? PAUL RASH and PAUL RUSH (which is how it is written in the story) is extremely hard to read about on the internet when the guy's actual name is PAUL RUSCH. But, can't really blame the editor too much -- choosing a more widely known person would have solved this problem. But honesty, how can someone F'up the guy's name twice when he's the whole topic of the story?

Third, why must there always be grammatical mistakes and funny English in the writing every year? Is this just to piss off the ALTs who are tasked to help the students out?

Fourth, the title is THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN. Does that title seem strange to anyone else?

Fifth, why not make the story a bit more internationally friendly? I mean, not every ALT is from America and knows about football. I think that's just mean to make non-American football enthusiasts sit through hours listening to a story about some American bringing their country's sport to Japan. If I was a non-American, the whole story and training my student would feel ackward since I wasn't an American but training the student to recite an American-geared story. Kinda weird if you ask me.

But I'm not without praise...

I am glad the higher-ups have chosen to forego a Japanese story with a ton of Japanese names and places and focus on an English-based theme. It's a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:44:26 PM by nobody »

Offline bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
Christ, just give us a lit book excerpt like the high school kids.
Only something not retarded that doesn't sound like tentacle rape.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
I've met several Japanese people in Yamanashi who didn't know who Paul Rusch is.

Offline bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Oh and as an aside there's an Australian football league in Nagoya (and also apparently Canada). DO we get a speech about that? Noooooo.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Offline Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
Oh and as an aside there's an Australian football league in Nagoya (and also apparently Canada). DO we get a speech about that? Noooooo.

There is an Aussie Football league in Canada....every Canada day there is a Canada vs. Australia game....and Canada always loses.  But it's fun!

Japan knows Japan, and Japan kind of knows America...

But most of my kids didnt even know where Canada was on the map. International knowledge is not a strong point in this country.
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
Japan knows Japan, and Japan kind of knows America...

But most of my kids didnt even know where Canada was on the map. International knowledge is not a strong point in this country.

Even moreso reason to make the story chosen for competition country-neutral...for all countries involved, a.k.a. Japan and gai-Japan countries.

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
It would be like giving a speech in Polish on the importance of Casimir Pulaski in Illinois.  No one knows who the hell he was, but we get a day off of school because of him.  (He trained soldiers in the American Revolution.)

God bless him and all the Poles that immigrated to Chicago.

I think Paul Rusch's story is an interesting part of Yamanashi's history.  Unfortunately, this is a JHS speech contest.  The speech probably isn't very interesting...

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
i just cant wait for the japanese judges to comment that my students pronunciation bad, then get praised for being so good by the native speakers. :|

that is much worse than any part of the speeches contents imo.

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
If anybody out there has anything to do with this contest, I'm sure there would be a ton of grateful ALTs who would love to kiss your toes if you push for an all native English speaking panel.

Can we go on strike about it?

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
I hope the focus of the new story is about the cheerleaders we see at the Paul Rusch Festival.

The what...?

Oh yeah, sorry, you are from Yamanashi.  I forgot, you've probably never heard of the Paul Rusch Festival.
Basically it's beer, ribs and cow poo.  Oh, yeah, and cheerleaders and bluegrass...

If anyone has a copy of the story, could you post it here for all of us to read?

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
so i read the story for the first time today...

"On december the 7th, 1941, he spoke to the American people through the radio.  'the friendship between our countries is growing.  Let's stop the war!' But it was no use.  On the very next day, the war started."

do you know what else happened on that day?

Offline lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »
Last year the speech contest students were encouraged to research and study the history regarding the story used for the contest in order to get a better understanding of the story and the feelings behind it.  Wonder if that will be encouraged this year too?

Also, how are you people getting the speech?  Could someone PM it to me or something?

Offline RobertK

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:48 AM »
My JTE gave me a copy today...

It is better than last year but I wonder why they keep doing stories from WWII.

hmmmm  :roll:
You can't be both pro-life and anti-zombie.

Offline bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
Same here, via JTE.
And same here, why keep choosing sections that seem to be some of the most potentially damning to Japan if the context was given?? Next, are we going to have something about Japan invading Australia and how they learned Australian Rules football from the poor beknighted people there?

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
so i read the story for the first time today...

"On december the 7th, 1941, he spoke to the American people through the radio.  'the friendship between our countries is growing.  Let's stop the war!' But it was no use.  On the very next day, the war started."

do you know what else happened on that day?

wait , that's hysterical....who was the "he"?
Wasn'T that the Japanese ambassador to the US at the time? Or is this Paul Rusch?  I don:t have a copy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:31:06 PM by Plum cake »
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
Speak of the devil...
One of my kids asked me to tell them about the war so they can look up some context for the speech. What do you think? How much to tell them? Am I going to get deported for spreading anti-Nippon sentiment?

Offline Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
Speak of the devil...
One of my kids asked me to tell them about the war so they can look up some context for the speech. What do you think? How much to tell them? Am I going to get deported for spreading anti-Nippon sentiment?

I say tell them the truth. Context shouldn't be selective....
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

Offline RobertK

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
It would be good for them as people to understand how `shit went down` in the RL.

I mean we don`t want to teach incomplete history to the kids. That would be like writing Jefferson out of the history books because he was an atheist...  :oops:
You can't be both pro-life and anti-zombie.

Offline tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
I haven't received a copy of this speech yet, but I can't wait until I do.

Quote from:

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
does anyone know who wrote or chose this speech for the contest?

that person needs to hear some complaints for this crap.

as an american i really get more than enough awkwardness from having to read the A-bomb story in the textbook.
i suppose ill ask my JTE too and see if he can find out, if nobody knows

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
I would venture one guess...there is most likely no foreigner on the story-selection committee.

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
It sounds suspiciously like something a former JTE of mine was working on awhile back...  but hard to tell without seeing the script.    The school we were working at closed and he moved to another city, so I never heard what came of the final draft...   

I believe it's chosen through the English Teachers' Association or whatever.... which probably wouldn't include any native speakers.

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
Probably it's like this:

The topic is chosen.
JTEs write the speech.
They have a bunch of meetings to make sure it's correct/suitable.
**They show it to an ALT.
**The ALT checks it and points out any mistakes and tells them the story sounds awkward.
**JTEs thank the ALT but remind them that the speech must only have grammar the JHS kids learn.
**They have a meeting where they disregard most/all of the ALTs suggestions/concerns.
They make a final copy and send it out.
Yamanashi ALTs' heads explode.

**(These steps are optional.)

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »
Probably it's like this:

The topic is chosen.
JTEs write the speech.
**The ALT checks it and points out any mistakes and tells them the story sounds awkward.
**JTEs thank the ALT but remind them that the speech must only have grammar the JHS kids learn.
**They have a meeting where they disregard most/all of the ALTs suggestions/concerns.

Does the head-exploding happen before or after the bullshit winners from the speech contest get picked?
There.  Now everything goes together.

Offline Ninjazz

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
ha ha ha I saw this speech at my JHS the a while back and couldn't help but laugh... Overall, it's stupid and awkward. (nothing new)
But you guys are overthinking/worrying about this... IMHO. Same thing is probably going to happen next year, and we'll have another forum post about it. *shrugs* That's Yamanashi.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
Probably it's like this:

The topic is chosen.
JTEs write the speech.

Keep in mind that the ALT who checks it probably doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
really not looking forward to this guy...

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
But you guys are overthinking/worrying about this... IMHO.

ill disagree with that.  Obviously, theres not that much that can be done about the awkwardness of words when it needs to be suitable for their English level, but if you ask me, the speech is slanderous and borderline propaganda.  perhaps thats a bit of an extreme evaluation of it, but that is not the type of thing i want to teach to my students. 

Not to mention that there is no good reason for making the topic about somthing so controversial as a war between (a large percentage of) teachers relatives, and the students relatives.

Im sufficiently uncomfortable when I have to read aloud in class the chapter about the little girl who died from the A-bomb.

:|

Gonzaburo was so much more appropriate

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
But you guys are overthinking/worrying about this... IMHO.

ill disagree with that.  Obviously, theres not that much that can be done about the awkwardness of words when it needs to be suitable for their English level, but if you ask me, the speech is slanderous and borderline propaganda.  perhaps thats a bit of an extreme evaluation of it, but that is not the type of thing i want to teach to my students. 

Not to mention that there is no good reason for making the topic about somthing so controversial as a war between (a large percentage of) teachers relatives, and the students relatives.

Im sufficiently uncomfortable when I have to read aloud in class the chapter about the little girl who died from the A-bomb.

:|

Gonzaburo was so much more appropriate

howso?  ....don't have a copy :| :cry:

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
Keep in mind that the ALT who checks it probably doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
Their is a difference?