Author Topic: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN  (Read 15978 times)

RobertK

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
You can't be both pro-life and anti-zombie.

Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »
I personally am starting to think that Paul "Rush"'s radio call is what prompted the Americans to start the war.  That IS the point of this story, right? Goddamn football! 
Stop questioning society, foreigner.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »
Keep in mind that the ALT who checks it probably doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
Their is a difference? 

I'll karma that, even though it sets my teeth on edge.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »
I will bet one thing: The person that edited that story will NEVER admit to it, especially if they were an ALT.

RobertK

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
I personally am starting to think that Paul "Rush"'s radio call is what prompted the Americans to start the war.  That IS the point of this story, right? Goddamn football! 

American general: That Rush fellow is making a japanese football team...thats our sport. This is WAR!

Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

American general: That Rush fellow is making a japanese football team...thats our sport. This is WAR!

True story.
Stop questioning society, foreigner.

God-Emperor Snrub

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Yes, that will do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »
Someone send me a copy of this so I can do a dramatic reading of it.

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
Here ya go.  Read this shit:

The First American Football in Japan
The Paul Rusch Story

Do you know Paul Rush?  We know he is the "Father of Kiyosato."  But he is also the "Father of American football."
Paul Rush first came to Japan after the Great Kanto Earthquake.  He worked at a hospital to help injured people.  Soon he began to like Japan.  He wanted to help them more and have a stronger friendship with them.  So he started teaching in Kiyosato.  He tried his best and always said to his students, "Do your best and it must be first class."

One day, he thought, "I want to introduce American football to Japan.  Young people will learn a lot about each other's culture."  But no Japanese knew how to play it and no one had football equipment.  So he asked Americans to send some from the U.S.  Finally, they had the first football game in 1934.  He was very happy.

But in the late 30s, Japan and the U.S. were ready for war.  Paul really wanted to stop the war.  On December the 7th, 1941, he spoke to the American people through the radio.  "The friendship between our countries is growing.  Let's stop the war!"  But, it was no use.  On the very next day, the war started.  Many of his students had to go to war.  Paul had to leave Japan too.  He was very sad.

The war ended in 1945.  Soon Paul came back to Japan.  He also started to teach American football again.

Every January 3rd, we have the biggest football game in Tokyo.  The MVP can get a trophy.  We call it the "Paul Rush Cup."

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
I cant imagine that any American wrote that if they took more than 5 minutes...

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
If you told any American that Paul Rusch was the "Father of American Football", they would laugh at you.

This story is even more embarrassing than when Bush Jr was in office...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:39:38 PM by nobody »

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
This story is even more embarrassing than when Bush Jr was in office...

you deserve a cookie  ^-^

Kendra

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
Finally got a copy of this on my desk...  :-o  :? Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the bit about the radio address is true? Or did someone just make it up? I tried to research it, but I couldn't find anything online about him making a radio address at all (just that he was deported shortly after the war broke out).

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »
I cant imagine that any American wrote that if they took more than 5 minutes...

This is exactly what I thought.
I'd be willing to bet some ALT wrote it on their final year here as two-finger salute to all of us.
It reads like the listening tasks I've written in morning meetings for the kids on Monday morning after drinks the night before.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »
Maybe some CIRs and/or PAs need to bring all these important points to the attention of the people organizing this event?

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »
Maybe some CIRs and/or PAs need to bring all these important points to the attention of the people organizing this event?
I told my JTE and pointed out some blatent errors.  He said he would mention it to someone in charge next time they got together ---I think he forgot though.

Anyhow, this is what happened when they introduced Sugihara two years ago:  Basically, it's too late to retract at this point, but some edits will be made for next year.

I suppose someone could try to edit it, then bring that to the speech contest and put it straight into the hands of those in charge.  They can't possibly not know it needs fixing.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:54 PM »
This speech contest never ceases to amaze me every frikkin' damn year. How hard is it to pass the story along to someone who's fluent in English? Not only that, but maybe ask if the story's topic is a bit strange?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:08:14 PM by nobody »

RobertK

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
I think they don`t ask ALTs to check stuff like this because it seems that most teachers don`t trust skills/jugdments of ALTs. Especially when an ALT has only been in Japan for a short time (0-2 years?)
Im sure people who have been here a while(or have cool JTEs) don`t have this problem.

And what are the odds that the suit in charge of the speech works with ALTs.

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
I think they don`t ask ALTs to check stuff like this because it seems that most teachers don`t trust skills/jugdments of ALTs. Especially when an ALT has only been in Japan for a short time (0-2 years?)
Im sure people who have been here a while(or have cool JTEs) don`t have this problem.

And what are the odds that the suit in charge of the speech works with ALTs.

The suit in charge of the speech probably the speaks the same amount of English as Kumagae's "interpreter" or whatever the fuck she is.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
The old story for contest, Fuefuki Gonzaburo, had death, destruction and pain in it.

Paul Rausch story has death, destruction and pain in it.

The Sugihara story has death, destruction and pain in it.

Can anyone else see a morbid trend?

jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
contents aside, at least gonzaburo was mostly grammar that they had studied at this point of the year.

Paul rusch has things that, while its mostly done in 2nd year, they havent done yet.  my student cant remember like half of it cause its stuff she hasnt studied yet, and i dont blame her.

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
contents aside, at least gonzaburo was mostly grammar that they had studied at this point of the year.

Paul rusch has things that, while its mostly done in 2nd year, they havent done yet.  my student cant remember like half of it cause its stuff she hasnt studied yet, and i dont blame her.

My student is surprisingly good at her pronunciation and intonation and such...but when she had no idea about the background of the story, not what half of it meant, so I spend a whole session just explaining certain words and giving a mini-history lesson.....

Sigh.
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
My student has the whole story memorized, she understands it and her pronunciation is great. The students' ability to memorize or pronouce the words isn't what I think is the problem.

I think the problem is that the story itself sucks balls!

I told my JTE that Paul Rausch is NOT the Father of American Football. Walter Camp is regarded The Man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Camp

To say Paul Rausch is is not only bad but it's also incorrect. I told her you need to put "in Japan" or "in Yamanashi" at the end of the sentence. She said, "I don't think we can change it since all the students have already started memorizing the story."

Well, fuck me! Memorize a lie rather get on the phone with the idiot that wrote this thing and fix the mistakes? Unforgivable.

Not only the mistakes in the story bother me,  but the topic itself. I mean, Paul Rusch isn't even important enough to have an article of Wikipedia. That should be warning flare one. Also, the storyline is jumpy.

Here's my shortened version:

Paul Rausch is the Father of American Football. He came to Japan, worked in a hospital and finally started teaching [English?]. He wanted to teach American football to Japanese students so he asked some of his friends in America to send him some equipment.

Despite Paul's desires, Japan and the U.S. went to war. Paul had to leave Japan. Once the war was over, he came back to Japan and started teaching football again.

Every year in Tokyo there is the biggest American football game called the Paul Rush Cup in [Tokyo or Japan?]. The MVP player receives a trophy.

This story is bad story-telling at it's best. I've got a great idea! How about making a story that is not country-specific and that everybody can relate to? How about James and the Giant Peach (a.k.a. Momotaro)?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:43:48 PM by nobody »

Ryan

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • My Time Abroad
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »
I agree that there are some problems with the story, but you have a problem with them choosing someone who doesn't have a wikipedia page?  Is that how we are determining importance now?

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
I agree that there are some problems with the story, but you have a problem with them choosing someone who doesn't have a wikipedia page?  Is that how we are determining importance now?

I think the real issue here is not that Paul Rusch doesn't have a Wikipedia page but that nobody is interested enough in Paul Rusch to make a page for him.  None of my students have any idea who Paul Rusch is despite him being a part of Yamanashi history.  Why not make a speech, I would argue, that the students can both understand and enjoy?
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
I agree that there are some problems with the story, but you have a problem with them choosing someone who doesn't have a wikipedia page?  Is that how we are determining importance now?

I was being a tad bit scarastic, but Tantei drew out the meaning behind what I said.

It would be like doing a story about Fred and how he is of Yamanashi cultural important because of his role in this forum. No disrespect to either men, but outside of a selective few, nobody has heard of these guys.

Which is kinda funny if you think about it (Paul, not Fred), since the biggest American football game in Japan and a festival is named after the guy but the average J-peep, Yamanahi-living or not, doesn't know who this guy is.

The story picked needs to be English-cultured-specific but something Japanese students can relate to. And, the story needs to be English-cultured-neutral so ALTs from every country can relate to it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:22:07 PM by nobody »

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

It would be like doing a story about Fred and how he is of Yamanashi cultural important because of his role in this forum. No disrespect to either men, but outside of a selective few, nobody has heard of these guys.

What do you mean? I am a cultural icon  :-D
Are you saying that the entire population of Yamanashi doesn't know me  :?
I think i'm off for a cry  :cry:

Orca Salad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Fryer Carol ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

What do you mean? I am a cultural icon  :-D
Are you saying that the entire population of Yamanashi doesn't know me  :?
I think i'm off for a cry  :cry:

I have, however, been supplied with a wonderful mental image of students standing on a stage with very confused expressions on their faces, reading:

"Fred de Condappa was a...cultural icon in Yamanashi....and everyone knew him...."
"There is no charge for awesomeness....or attractiveness."

"I'm so angry I could kick an urn!"

"Gaorgh!" I'm a Manticore.

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »

I have, however, been supplied with a wonderful mental image of students standing on a stage with very confused expressions on their faces, reading:

"Fred de Condappa was a...cultural icon in Yamanashi....and everyone knew him...."

"Fred liked to drive...a very fast car.  He wanted...everyone in Yamanashi to...enjoy fast cars too."
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Sorry Fred. I was being facetious more than anything.

I was basically using you to make my point. While you're an invaluable icon in the local community, the greater community on whole doesn't have the pleasure of your acquaintance. And as such, there could probably be better choices made when selecting a story-telling topic. Although, like Orca Salad said, it would be pretty funny to see students try to say Fred's entire name. I think we'd all have snot bubbles coming outta our noses laughing our asses off: "furedo de kondapapa"! ROFL!

Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
I don't know, just because a person is unknown, doesn't mean that it's a waste to learn about him.  There are a lot of really cool people who have lived but we never hear about (see Fridtjof Nansen).  It could have been an opportunity to learn about an interesting part of Yamanashi history...but the speech is as lifeless as Paul Rausch is...