Author Topic: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN  (Read 16380 times)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: New JHS Story for Competition -- THE FIRST AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN JAPAN
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
No worries. I totally understood where you are coming from. I think I was attempting sarcasm, buit maybe it didn't work.

It would seem that a JTE wrote this and as we all well know, there is a vast gap between a JTE writing something like this and one of us. The language was never going to flow well always be awkward when trying to  restrict the grammar to that used by the students. It can be improved, but it'll never be perfect.

Anyway, as it was written by a Japanese teacher of English, perhaps Paul Rusch is the father of American football, in Japan, to the Japanese.

I think this may clear somethings up
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9D%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A5

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
I don't know, just because a person is unknown, doesn't mean that it's a waste to learn about him.  

Now I think you're just scheming an argument to make a speech contest using Fred as the topic...

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »
I don't know, just because a person is unknown, doesn't mean that it's a waste to learn about him.  

Now I think you're just scheming an argument to make a speech contest using Fred as the topic...
Oh, I'm sure Fred's life would make for an interesting speech contest.  I'm just not sure if the contents would be appropriate for junior high school students.   :lol:

Offline kchew

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
One year later, this speech is annoying a new ALT.
:D

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
Oh thank goodness, I thought maybe I was the only one bothered by this thing.
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »
they doing that speech again? Jeez...

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
The Paul Rusch story is going into its second year and they handed out the script again...the fuckers have STILL yet to spell the guy's name correctly. It's RUSCH you fucks, not RUSH.

Just got back from the huge meeting of all the teachers in the Fujiyoshida, Yamanaka, Tsuru and Oshino area. I tried to bring up the screwed spellings and bad grammar in the Sugihara and Paul Rusch scripts. One of the guys took one look at my changes, IGNORED all of the spelling mistakes and chose to tell the rest of the teachers how I put a comma before the word "too" at the end of the sentence and how its not necessarily a mistake but a style choice. He completely ignored the glaring mistakes and handed back my scripts.

Even the Program had glaring mistakes. Hey fuck heads:
1. "ceremony" is not spelled "celemony,"
2. "posture" is not spelled "poture,"
3. "audience" is not spelled "audiencd."

So, if any ALTs are turning up from this area, let it be known I tried.

OH, BTW, THERE ARE NO FOREIGN JUDGES THIS YEAR. AT LEAST, AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. I ALMOST THOUGHT I DIDN'T HEAR THEM RIGHT AND ASKED MY JTE TO CONFIRM. ONLY JAPANESE. I WAS TOLD THIS WAS BECAUSE THE ALTS' SCHEDULE WAS TOO BUSY. <--Really?!?! Really expect an ALT community that is connected via a forum to really believe that? This contest is getting more and more every year. Why do we even bother training our students?

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
Do you mind posting your version of the story here?
I edited it too with the aim of trying to get it into the right hands (2% chance).
Anyone know what chimp is in charge of this thing?

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
Ill be judging a contest on November 3rd.  Anyone going to that?
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »

OH, BTW, THERE ARE NO FOREIGN JUDGES THIS YEAR. AT LEAST, AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. I ALMOST THOUGHT I DIDN'T HEAR THEM RIGHT AND ASKED MY JTE TO CONFIRM. ONLY JAPANESE. I WAS TOLD THIS WAS BECAUSE THE ALTS' SCHEDULE WAS TOO BUSY.

Whaaaaaaat? They didn't even ask this year. I judged for Kitatsuru and a few other districts last year- possibly all the ones you listed earlier. They most definitely didn't even try asking me, unless my kocho said no flat out- which I don't believe at all.

The Paul Rusch speech cracks me up (the Sugihara 'Passage to Freedom' story isn't exactly award-winning writing either) but it's ridiculous how they won't try to improve the competition. Last year all the students who won were the ones who got all theatrical and made jerky gestures at all the right moments, regardless of how garbled their speech was. They aren't rewarding good speakers, they're rewarding pet tricks.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
I am judging the middle school speech contest in Isawa... i think that would make me a foreign judge.  Unless this is a different contest...

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
I am judging the middle school speech contest in Isawa... i think that would make me a foreign judge.  Unless this is a different contest...
He said at a local level, so maybe yours is the 2nd round?
--Albert Einstein

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
Ah, ok.  Yea, I think that might be right. 

Offline ConcreteOrchrd

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
...He completely ignored the glaring mistakes and handed back my scripts...

He probably made a wise career choice there. 

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Looks like I spoke too soon! I was asked today to host the competition on November 17th. I'm assuming that that's the same one as last year that I did down at Tsuru HS with Marcus, though I haven't gotten all the details on it. Looks like they'll be using us silly foreigners after all, though!

Offline kchew

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

OH, BTW, THERE ARE NO FOREIGN JUDGES THIS YEAR. AT LEAST, AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. I ALMOST THOUGHT I DIDN'T HEAR THEM RIGHT AND ASKED MY JTE TO CONFIRM. ONLY JAPANESE. I WAS TOLD THIS WAS BECAUSE THE ALTS' SCHEDULE WAS TOO BUSY. <--Really?!?! Really expect an ALT community that is connected via a forum to really believe that? This contest is getting more and more every year. Why do we even bother training our students?

I don't know about everyone else, but I know that two ALTs are judging Fuefuki's speech contest. I guess it really depends on which area you're in.

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
There's several local competitions.... one in each area.... so Patrick's most likely talking about the Minamitsuru one as that's the area he's in.

I had to judge the Kitatsuru one a couple of times when I lived in Uenohara. What a joke.

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
OK, well according to my JTE the guy in charge of this thing is at 羽田中 (though that might just be for my area) so maybe Jesse can put the pressure on to get him to at least fix the spelling errors...
And actually yeah, there is some info on Wiki... in Japanese.

Offline lyzengar

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »
I've been asked to judge the Minamitsuru contest every year that I've been here, but nothing so far this year. Definitely a bullshit excuse about ALTs being busy. Though it sucks that there won't be any native-speaking judges, I'm really glad I don't have to sit through that shit again.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Ill be judging a contest on November 3rd.  Anyone going to that?

yes, i'll be there too! And I believe that is when both the sugihara story and the paul rush speeches are being held.
B

Offline nobody

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I am Patrick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
Here's a huge kicker, I was told today there will only be local compeititions for the Paul Rusch and Sugihara stories. I was told there will be no prefectural competition this year because it falls on the same day as a huge JTE's English open-class presentation.

Now, I'm confused because people on this thread have said they are judging at the prefectural Paul Rusch and Sugihara story-telling competition?

Offline kchew

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
I was told there is only going to be the local competition only this year as well. I don't know why, but I guess it saves on transportation costs!

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
Weird. I was told they were having both by my school  :-o

Also, awkward moment while practicing the Sugihara Story: my student was having issues with the word Nazis, so we got to practice that in the full staff room for a few minutes, then later I had a teacher who barely speaks English remark "she good Nazi now." It took a great deal of effort to not laugh in his face.
--Albert Einstein

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Here's a huge kicker, I was told today there will only be local compeititions for the Paul Rusch and Sugihara stories. I was told there will be no prefectural competition this year because it falls on the same day as a huge JTE's English open-class presentation.

Now, I'm confused because people on this thread have said they are judging at the prefectural Paul Rusch and Sugihara story-telling competition?

Yup, was told the same thing.  Kinda silly though as it's only a one-day conflict but I guess they don't want to reschedule.

Can someone let me in on the things that generally bar students from participating in a prefecture-wide JHS English speech competition? 
I was told that children who have one parent that is from a Western English speaking country are not allowed. Seems unlikely because even if that were true, what about Asian countries that speak English such as Singapore or the Phillipines, etc.?  Plus someone said that a lot of the winners last year were of some foreign descent?
The issue came up because one of my students is Japanese but stayed in America for maybe 2 or three years as a baby and my JTE was worried about it.

Offline ConcreteOrchrd

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

Can someone let me in on the things that generally bar students from participating in a prefecture-wide JHS English speech competition? 
I was told that children who have one parent that is from a Western English speaking country are not allowed. Seems unlikely because even if that were true, what about Asian countries that speak English such as Singapore or the Phillipines, etc.?  Plus someone said that a lot of the winners last year were of some foreign descent?
The issue came up because one of my students is Japanese but stayed in America for maybe 2 or three years as a baby and my JTE was worried about it.
[/quote]

I coached a student last year who was born in Brazil and moved to Japan when she was 3 or 4 years old.  My teachers made a phone call to see if she was eligible, and we had to ask the student if she was taught English in school.  She replied that no, she did not study English in preschool, but she did not really remember much of anything about Brazil.  She was therefore deemed to be eligible, since she only started studying English in JHS. 

After her performance at the prefectural level, there were apparently some teachers who thought that she had an unfair advantage due to her race.  According to my JTE who attended the prefectural contest, the teachers who raised these concerns focused on her race rather than any other factors that would make sense, so the argument didn't make it very far.  I suppose it could be argued that if the student's father speaks Portugese at home, she has had more exposure to the intonations involved in Western languages, so that's an advantage over less cosmopolitan families, but it seems like a stretch to me.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »
agreed!  Put an end to the "foreign question" in speeches.  It's bullocks.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »

I coached a student last year who was born in Brazil and moved to Japan when she was 3 or 4 years old.  My teachers made a phone call to see if she was eligible, and we had to ask the student if she was taught English in school.  She replied that no, she did not study English in preschool, but she did not really remember much of anything about Brazil.  She was therefore deemed to be eligible, since she only started studying English in JHS. 

After her performance at the prefectural level, there were apparently some teachers who thought that she had an unfair advantage due to her race.  According to my JTE who attended the prefectural contest, the teachers who raised these concerns focused on her race rather than any other factors that would make sense, so the argument didn't make it very far.  I suppose it could be argued that if the student's father speaks Portugese at home, she has had more exposure to the intonations involved in Western languages, so that's an advantage over less cosmopolitan families, but it seems like a stretch to me.

Western tongues are genetically more agile and able to contort themselves into the bestial sounds of English, obviously. It's like that thing where black people have an extra tendon in their leg that makes them better at athletics. Totally legit. It's science.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:56:27 AM by Sir Crowbar »

Offline WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:48 AM »
This is a little separate from the topic, but since Paul Rusch's story is the central topic I was wondering if anyone knew about a fair this weekend about him? http://www.pref.yamanashi.jp/english/event/2011/topic036.html

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
This is a little separate from the topic, but since Paul Rusch's story is the central topic I was wondering if anyone knew about a fair this weekend about him? http://www.pref.yamanashi.jp/english/event/2011/topic036.html

Yes sir, it's listed under the October events page and was also mentioned in the YETI Spagehtti, it sounds like a good time
http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8055.0 
--Albert Einstein

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

Western tongues are genetically more agile and able to contort themselves into the bestial sounds of English, obviously. It's like that thing where black people have an extra tendon in their leg that makes them better at athletics. Totally legit. It's science.

I'm flashing back to last year's high school speech contest when a foreign ALT said to me, "He won because he was black".

really?  Really?  :x