Author Topic: High Beginner to Intermediate Chat Class  (Read 898 times)

Offline Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
High Beginner to Intermediate Chat Class
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
Idea: New Japanese Practice Group (Not Thursday night PreIntermediate Class)

Is anyone interested in attending a new casual chat group with a teacher on Monday, OR Tuesday night from 7:00 to 9:00 or 6:30 to 8:30? I'm thinking it would be for be mainly for high beginners to Intermediate Level.

Ideally, in comparison to the Thursday 7pm PreIntermediate Class at the Volunteer Center, I would like to make it loosely structured drop in class. You could arrive according to your schedule but within the first hour. Maybe 1500 yen for 1.5 to 2 hours of chat. I thought of using copies of a super simply structured drill workbook I saw on verb conjugation and grammar forms...(a book adaptable to multiple levels). Newcomers could get some hiragana worksheets if they can't understand the conversation.

The International Center has such a drop-in system (run by a volunteer on Friday night) but the levels are from pre-intermediate to advanced so the newcomers always drop out as the teacher tends to swing back to advanced. That class is not generally attended by native English Speakers (except for one)... so I wonder if us teachers have the drive to "drop in" to a downtown Kofu location more often? Or would you "drop out" more than "drop in" in such a system? Would we get more people dropping in if you could arrive anytime within the first hour?

Not sure who would teach it...What do you think?
Wanna study Japanese with Nobuko Sensei? Check out her weekly lessons. See details under the Yeti forum  "Learning Japanese".

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
Re: High Beginner to Intermediate Chat Class
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
I would be up for this...what about the Friday night class at the center?  What time does that start and finish?
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Bonbon

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: High Beginner to Intermediate Chat Class
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Friday night at the International Center is a nice group but the level is unpredictable. I went for a year. The grammar was advanced at first, it changed to a false beginner level and is now upper intermediate. The same teacher, although lovely, switches the grammar level unexpectedly.

For any beginner reading this, take note: Even when the worksheets used to be false beginner level her verbal explanation was upper intermediate. I could sometimes get the drift and I'm sure you would be fine Kelly...it is just that it is inconvenient to get to and not near a station.

I found one girl who is rewriting level 1 of Japanese Proficiency test. It sounds like she would be interested in a Friday eve. chat class. Do you want chat or a private lesson? Either way, if you miss class without significant warning you will be expected to pay for Nobuko's time. She doesn't have a day job and needs consistant income.

How many times a week do you have a japanese class now?
Wanna study Japanese with Nobuko Sensei? Check out her weekly lessons. See details under the Yeti forum  "Learning Japanese".