Author Topic: One-on-one  (Read 1527 times)

Offline kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
One-on-one
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
So for ESS this year, I only have one student.  :-( I delayed starting it because I had hoped to recruit more students, but as it turns out, the one student is the only one I got. Is anyone else in this situation too? I am finding it difficult to think of activities I can do with him, especially games. Most games I have looked up online are for three or more people. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what games we can play? Thanks!
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: One-on-one
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »
Battleship is a good one-on-one game, and you can adapt some word games like hangman to fit a one-on-one setting.  I've done karuta in a one-on-one setting, as well as games like uno and go fish, and matching (memory) games can be good for this situation too (I don't know what level you teach at, but at my JHS these were popular with my smaller classes).  Students also get extra thrills from beating the teacher at a game.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
What does ESS stand for? I am assuming it is your English club but I am just unclear - English Speakers'/Speaking Society?

Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Electric Barbarella

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
I hear ya!  I went from having a group of genki 3rd years that liked to talk.  To a bunch of 2nd and 1st years that never show up.   

How about a modified version of Once Upon a Time?  Just make a bunch of noun cards.  Then you have to tell a story with the cards.  The goal is to get rid of all your cards and finish the story.

I can show you my set if you come to Japanese class this week.   :wink:

What does ESS stand for? I am assuming it is your English club but I am just unclear - English Speakers'/Speaking Society?
ESS is English Speaking Society.

Offline kashii

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • For life's not a paragraph...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
Thanks guys!! I'll incorporate the games you mentioned, though I will need to find a game of Battleship somewhere!
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »
So for ESS this year, I only have one student.  :-( I delayed starting it because I had hoped to recruit more students, but as it turns out, the one student is the only one I got. Is anyone else in this situation too? I am finding it difficult to think of activities I can do with him, especially games. Most games I have looked up online are for three or more people. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what games we can play? Thanks!

It sounds like fun!  If you want more students you could always *require* at least one club visit from all students to pass the final.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »
Thanks guys!! I'll incorporate the games you mentioned, though I will need to find a game of Battleship somewhere!

You can make your own game using paper/grids - and that way you can choose what words to use.  For example, I made a game with colors running vertically, and objects/things running horizontally.  To try and hit my ships, my students had to ask "Do you have a (color)(noun)?" and I would ask the same for them.  They had a lot of fun with that and were working furiously to try and sink all my ships.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.