Author Topic: 3rd grade communication activities  (Read 2713 times)

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
3rd grade communication activities
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
So, my JTE told me that we are a tiny bit ahead of some JHS in the area so maybe some of you guys can use really soon.

I figured I'd take advantage of my limited computer time.

"Do you know the animal that~?" work sheet was used to review grammar on pg 60-61 of New horizon.
The kids follow the example at the top and substitute the bolded parts for their own animal choice.  Ideas for the kids are listed at the bottom.  My kids get points for each person they ask, so I usually do this activity in about 15 minutes so they have the opportunity to ask lots of people.  

"I like someone who~"
The matchmaking game has 3 sheets.  1 is for student A, who must choose the preferences they like and say the "I like someone who~" part.  Student B has the list of "profiles" of potential dates/friends.  I let the students get into pairs and choose if they wanted boy or girl profiles.  StudentB must listen to student A's preferences and attempt to pick a best match.  Obviously, they won't always kind someone who matches all the preferences so they are allowed to reject their match only one time.  They must just accept who they get the second time.  Then, Student A can write what qualities they like about their match at the bottom of their worksheet.  Students must change roles.

Various christmas worksheets I made
a bit self-explanatory and they were used as warm ups.

EDIT:  Just noticed that the top of the worksheet says "I like a someone who".  May wanna change that unless you like incorrect, Japanese-sounding English.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:30:39 PM by karta »

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd grade communication activities
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
Again, just posting some activities that might be helpful

alien english code - I use these symbols to write a message in "alien", the kids make groups and race against each other to write the English message on the blackboard.  (any grade level)

Are you~?- each student gets a card (cut them out), and they must play the part of the character whose picture is shown.  They must try to find who they are looking for by asking "Are you~?"  once they find their match, they can have the match sign and then sit down.  (1st grade to help learn be verbs)

School words bingo - warm up activity.  They write the words in the boxes and you call them out. Lately, to play up communication, I play battleship bingo where they must hide their paper from their partner, and they take turns saying words in order to try and get their partner to get a bingo.  The person who gets bingo is the loser. (any grade level)

Yearbook - pretty simple, just a template I made.  Students should fill in the blanks and the big box on the left,  i took their picture and glued it in.  (not really OC related...but its fun)

Mad Libs- for advanced 1st graders, really.  I would say most classes wouldn't enjoy it as much.  You can always use it with 3rd years as an easy activity.  I usually have them present it to the class.

True of False Quiz - have students stand up and do gestures for true or false.  If they make a mistake, they must sit down.  Last kid standing, wins!

How long have you~? For/since~ Celeb version- Using cards with information about celebs, the students pretend to be the celeb/character on their card.  Their partner must ask a question about it.  Becomes more obvious when you look at the card

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:15:20 PM by karta »

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd grade communication activities
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
Sarah's bingo and wordsearch are good fillers.  Thanks!!!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.