Author Topic: Lesson Swap 2010, JHS: Situational English  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Lesson Swap 2010, JHS: Situational English
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
Author: Mackensie, Roland
Topic: Situational English
Description: I’ve only used these questions during eikaiwa, but I think they would be okay for a high school English class as well.  These are very practical dialogues for situations that are likely to happen when traveling.  My class really enjoyed the role-playing and went above and beyond in creativity.

1.    You just arrive in New York and need to take a taxi to your hotel.  How do you tell the driver to go to the hotel?
2.    You arrive in Sydney, Australia at the airport and your baggage is missing.  You need to tell the baggage claim officer.  What should you say?
3.    You are at a bank in Los Angeles.  You want to exchange Japanese yen traveler’s checks into American dollars (cash).  What do you need to say?
4.    You rented a car in Orlando and are driving to your hotel when you get a flat tire.  You stop on the highway and ask a driver in another car to help you.  What do you say?
5.    You are at your hotel in London and want to ask the front desk (receptionist) what he recommends to do and where to go.  How do you ask?
6.    You forgot to bring your toothpaste with you on your trip to Canada.  You go to a pharmacy and ask for toothpaste.  What do you say?
7.    At a restaurant you order a beer, but the waiter brings you a glass of wine instead.  How do you say to the waiter that you have the wrong drink?
8.    You go to a museum in New Orleans.  The clerk charges you too much for your tickets.  What do you say to her?
9.    You want to go see the Statue of Liberty, but don’t know how to get there.  You ask a person on the street where it is and the best way to go.  What do you say?
10.    You are in Chicago and are feeling sick in your stomach.  You need to buy medicine at a pharmacy.  How do you ask for the right kind of medicine?