Author Topic: JHS Easter Lesson Plans  (Read 2548 times)

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
JHS Easter Lesson Plans
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
I would really like to cover Easter with my JHS students, but cannot seem to find too many helpful links on the internet

I already have a book to read to them and my boyfriend`s mom sent me an Easter basket w candy from the US to show, but I still don`t have a way to explain Easter in a way they will understand
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
Re: JHS Easter Lesson Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
Bringing candy into a JHS class seems like a dangerous idea to me, unless you have permission to give them some and have enough for everyone.  Bring the basket but maybe just pictures of the types of candy. I know when I taught at JHS they were not allowed to bring any sort of candy or snack from home nor was I allowed to give them any.

Also, just go over the basics.  People dye eggs, the easter bunny comes and leaves candy, kids eat the candy, there is a big dinner, and there may be easter egg hunt thrown in somewhere. Most kids don't care about the whys or the religous backgroud of the holiday. Nor would most understand even if you explained.  If you need an activity, maybe have them do an easter egg hunt. Have paper easter eggs with recent vocab on the back.  Once all the cards are found, kids who have cards need to read the word off the back of the cards they have.  1 point for each they get correct, the kid with the most points wins.

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
Bringing candy into a JHS class seems like a dangerous idea to me, unless you have permission to give them some and have enough for everyone.  Bring the basket but maybe just pictures of the types of candy. I know when I taught at JHS they were not allowed to bring any sort of candy or snack from home nor was I allowed to give them any.

I was actually not planning on giving the candy to the kids, just got a few "examples" of Easter candy from back home, like a chocolate bunny and the carrot shaped things filled w candies to show them the sort of things we get, and also that it's ok to be an adult and still get things from the Easter bunny  :-P

Thanks for the ideas
--Albert Einstein

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
Explaining why a bunny brings eggs is also difficult... :-D

With the teacher's permission we had a Daiso Easter candy hunt at Shogakko a few years back.  A year later one of the kids found a missing piece...
I would hate to be a student in a class where we were just shown actual candy but not giving any.

The easiest way to teach Easter is to let your JTE explain it... mine somehow related it to Halloween in November this year.

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
Explaining why a bunny brings eggs is also difficult... :-D

With the teacher's permission we had a Daiso Easter candy hunt at Shogakko a few years back.  A year later one of the kids found a missing piece...
I would hate to be a student in a class where we were just shown actual candy but not giving any.

The easiest way to teach Easter is to let your JTE explain it... mine somehow related it to Halloween in November this year.

The main issue with giving them candy is that there are 650 students in this school and so that would be quite a bit of candy, so even if the school was ok with it, it would just be too much money.

Also, I found a decent website that seems to explain rather well why we have a bunny and eggs, hopefully.  :lol:
--Albert Einstein

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
So, you see nothing wrong with bringing candy to school, showing it to the students, and then telling them they can't have any?  :?

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
My JTEs thought it sounded cute and when I asked if the kids would understand it was just for show, they all said the students would not mind at all... guess we shall see
--Albert Einstein

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
I'm gonna jump in and say if you can, just bring pictures.  What the teachers say the kids will do and what the kids will do is actually quite a bit different.  If you trust that your kids will be really well behaved, I think it would be less of an issue.  But on some days at my school, when the lesson involved actual candy (and had been preplanned by the teachers), I still had kids getting up to try and snag some early, and after everyone had gotten a piece at the end of class, I had kids tearing apart the classroom/my pockets/my school bag looking for more.  It's quite a distraction to some kids; they spend the whole lesson thinking "Holy shit!  Candy!  I want some!" and don't pay attention to the English being taught.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
My JTEs thought it sounded cute and when I asked if the kids would understand it was just for show, they all said the students would not mind at all... guess we shall see

Frankly, I'm surprised that your JTEs would want you to bring actual candy.  At all 3 of my schools, we have a little candy/omiyage thing in the staff room but we are discouraged from eating it/having it on the desks in front of the students. 
One day my kids THOUGHT i had a candy in my mouth (which was actually a throat drop, still not an excuse to start class with it in my mouth but i wasnt paying attention to time beforehand), and they begged me for some before, after and during class.
Maybe they'll understand that you're not giving it to them, but they will want it and they will ask you repeatedly for it.

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
thank you all for being frank in your comments, I had actually decided that you all were right about not bringing in candy... only to discover from my JTEs this morning that they think it would be best if we just skipped over Easter, so guess in the end it didn't really matter either way

but again, thank you for the advice and I hope that I can return the favor sometime
--Albert Einstein