Author Topic: Incoming Peeps 2011 - Introduce yourselves  (Read 53417 times)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Incoming Peeps 2011 - Introduce yourselves
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
To all of those who came or are coming  in 2011, please introduce yourself here. We love meeting up with people and you can drop any questions you want answering right here. There is a wealth of people here who love helping out.

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming Peeps 2011 - Introduce yourselves
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Come on new people it's my last year here and I want to make it a great one.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:17 AM »
Hey everyone - incoming peep here.  My name is Carlos and apparently I'm not the first Irish/Spanish JET to land in Yamanashi!  I'm a 22 year old economics graduate with no Japanese, but a bit of teaching experience.  I'm v.happy with this placement, it seems like a great place - probably better than any of the preferences I had put down.  I was going nuts this past month waiting, I hadn't heard anything from JET in ages.  I don't know what more to say about myself that won't bore you to tears, but I'm looking forward to meeting people and I'm relieved to find that I've been placed in a pretty social prefecture.  If you're my predecessor, please feel free to get in touch, I have a gazillion questions for you! 

Offline Luna

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
Hey everyone - incoming peep here.  My name is Carlos and apparently I'm not the first Irish/Spanish JET to land in Yamanashi!  I'm a 22 year old economics graduate with no Japanese, but a bit of teaching experience.  I'm v.happy with this placement, it seems like a great place - probably better than any of the preferences I had put down.  I was going nuts this past month waiting, I hadn't heard anything from JET in ages.  I don't know what more to say about myself that won't bore you to tears, but I'm looking forward to meeting people and I'm relieved to find that I've been placed in a pretty social prefecture.  If you're my predecessor, please feel free to get in touch, I have a gazillion questions for you!

Hey Carlos!  I hope you enjoy Yamanashi.
Have you heard which city or Board of Education you will be working in/for?  I am going to be touring around with the new Fuefuki ALTs on their first day in the prefecture.

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
Hey! I'm afraid I have no idea.  All I know is that I'm in Yamanashi-Ken.  Check out this FB group though, one of the girls is in Fuefuki-shi:  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_135361503180374   There are a good few of us currently having a chat!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:23:33 AM by Q »

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
Hey everyone - incoming peep here.  My name is Carlos and apparently I'm not the first Irish/Spanish JET to land in Yamanashi!

Hey Carlos!

Bienvenido!

My name is Miguel and I am the other Irish/Spanish person in the ken!
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
Hey! I'm afraid I have no idea.  All I know is that I'm in Yamanashi-Ken.  Check out this FB group though, one of the girls is in Fuefuki-shi:  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_135361503180374   There are a good few of us currently having a chat!

If you only know that you are in Yamanashi Ken and don't know the city, then you are what is known as a Prefectural JET. You will be working for the Kencho (the prefectural government) and be more than likely placed in a high school. The Kencho will only finalise the details of your placement in a few weeks when all the acceptances are in. Only when they assign you that, will you even know who your predecessor is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:27:25 AM by fred »

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
Hey Miguel!  That's mad, we'll have a talk over sangria and tapas.  I'm not entirely sure what the deal with my placement is as the embassy only got word this morning and very quickly sent out automated emails.  So it's possible that there was more information that hasn't been forwarded yet, none of us know any specifics.  None of the Irish JETs know who their predecessors are.  I'm just hoping to be placed somewhere that's fairly well connected by public transport, so I can take part in all the great things I'm reading about in this forum!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:55:53 AM by Q »

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
yea, just warning, the transportation bit is going to be a crap shoot.  Either you'll have great public transport, or it will be limited.  There is no middle ground.  If you can get an international license, that will make life in Yamanashi much easier, regardless of your public transportation situation.  There will be a number of alts that will sell their cars.  You should be able to get one for a decent price.

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
I'm relieved to find that I've been placed in a pretty social prefecture.  If you're my predecessor, please feel free to get in touch, I have a gazillion questions for you!

Feel free to post some of your gazillion questions on the boards too, everyone here was a great help to me when I arrived a few months ago and they continue to answer my stupid questions (fools, when will they learn?)

Also, I too was surprised, because our company had mentioned it was a preatty tame place, and felt pretty much without hope when I heard the last ALT quit because he was "too bored." Then my boyfriend and I discovered YETI and all was not lost!
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
I have a gazillion questions for you!

Feel free to post some of your gazillion questions on the boards too

Yeah, any questions you have that are general (instead of to do with your job) then feel free to ask.

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
Hi all! My name is Brittany I've also just learned that I'll be coming to Yamanashi prefecture in August, and I'll be in Koshu-shi. Though I didn't request Yamanashi I'm really happy because it's close to my rather random request of Nagano-ken, and it looks so beautiful from what I've seen. Mt. Fuji is so close!! Can you guys see it from wherever you're living?

I guess I should tell a bit about myself--I'm from Davis, CA and interviewed at the San Francisco consulate. I'm 21 and just graduated from the University of California, Davis with a degree in Japanese and Anthropology. I've been studying Japanese since high school so about 7 years, but I'm really rusty because I haven't taken any formal language classes in the past year haha. The JET program's always been a dream for me but when interview results first came out I was an alternate. I got upgraded in the middle of May, but they told me that it was a really rural placement and I'd have to be able to drive, so I was basically expecting a random island or something! Imagine my surprise when I got an amazing placement like this. (I'm still fine with having to drive though.)

I've been to Japan once before, back in high school. I stayed in Okayama prefecture for a couple of weeks and then went sightseeing at Hiroshima, Nara, Osaka and other areas around there. As I've never been to the more northern areas of Japan, I'm really really happy with my placement. Please tell me everything you know about Yamanashi! =)

Looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone soon!

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
yea, just warning, the transportation bit is going to be a crap shoot.  Either you'll have great public transport, or it will be limited.  There is no middle ground.  If you can get an international license, that will make life in Yamanashi much easier, regardless of your public transportation situation.  There will be a number of alts that will sell their cars.  You should be able to get one for a decent price.

Unfortunately I can't drive!  Not yet anyway, I know that may sound odd to some but I've never had any need or been able to justify the cost/afford it.  I've read that 50cc scooters are an option, after a 2 day course - any truth to this?

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
scooters are an option and are quite handy for going to work and nearby towns, but aren't very practical for long trips.  Unfortunately, they only offer the written exam in Japanese.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »

Unfortunately I can't drive!  Not yet anyway, I know that may sound odd to some but I've never had any need or been able to justify the cost/afford it.  I've read that 50cc scooters are an option, after a 2 day course - any truth to this?

Doesn't sound odd at all. Mig was the same, although he is now the proud owner of a Japanese licence.
The 50cc thing is true but it is in Japanese in Yamanashi  :x
You can't take it in other prefectures that offer it in English  :x :x :x

Offline The Badger Baron of Shizuoka

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • "Pants on head retarded"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »
Don't worry about no being able to drive, Mig just learned to drive in Japan and I just past my test recently after sooooo many years on a provisional.

Though they take the fact you don't drive into account usually so you should have access to public transport.
Rabble rabble rabble

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
Hi all! My name is Brittany I've also just learned that I'll be coming to Yamanashi prefecture in August, and I'll be in Koshu-shi. Though I didn't request Yamanashi I'm really happy because it's close to my rather random request of Nagano-ken, and it looks so beautiful from what I've seen. Mt. Fuji is so close!! Can you guys see it from wherever you're living?

I guess I should tell a bit about myself--I'm from Davis, CA and interviewed at the San Francisco consulate. I'm 21 and just graduated from the University of California, Davis with a degree in Japanese and Anthropology. I've been studying Japanese since high school so about 7 years, but I'm really rusty because I haven't taken any formal language classes in the past year haha. The JET program's always been a dream for me but when interview results first came out I was an alternate. I got upgraded in the middle of May, but they told me that it was a really rural placement and I'd have to be able to drive, so I was basically expecting a random island or something! Imagine my surprise when I got an amazing placement like this. (I'm still fine with having to drive though.)

I've been to Japan once before, back in high school. I stayed in Okayama prefecture for a couple of weeks and then went sightseeing at Hiroshima, Nara, Osaka and other areas around there. As I've never been to the more northern areas of Japan, I'm really really happy with my placement. Please tell me everything you know about Yamanashi! =)

Looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone soon!

Koshu-Shi?  I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but I think your predecessor will be Jared.  Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Since you already know your specific placement, you will be teaching at Junior High and Elementary.

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
Don't worry about no being able to drive, Mig just learned to drive in Japan and I just past my test recently after sooooo many years on a provisional.

Though they take the fact you don't drive into account usually so you should have access to public transport.

well the only snag on getting a license from scratch is the 300,000 yen you have to pay up.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Brittany, if you need a car then it will narrow the open spots down the Katsunuma and Jared. Again, I can't be sure as the BOE needs to confirm this.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
Hey Brittany! Welcome!

I live in Fujiyoshida so Mt. Fuji is my back garden :D (See picture attached)

Koshu-shi is pretty central so even though you may have to drive, it shouldn't be a problem for you to get to places to meet people!

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »

Agreed! They take that into account so whereever you are placed you will have access to some sort of transport (albeit not very good).

As for it being surprising that you cant drive - I couldn't either. I am 25 now and just got my license for the first time. In Ireland it just wasn't necessary.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
If you only know that you are in Yamanashi Ken and don't know the city, then you are what is known as a municipal JET.

(I think you might have this the wrong way around: municipal JETs are those JETs who are hired directly by municipal BoEs so they should be told their full placement from the outset; prefectural JETs are hired by the kencho and so even though they may have been notified that they will be placed in Yamanashi, they will have to wait until we've allocated them to particular schools before they find out their specific placement.)

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
Brittany, if you need a car then it will narrow the open spots down the Katsunuma and Jared. Again, I can't be sure as the BOE needs to confirm this.

Well, that's just what I heard from my coordinator a long time ago so things may have changed, but it seems like that placement makes the most sense with the information I was given. I'm sure I'll find out soon from the BOE anyway though.

But hi Jared, if you are my pred! =)

And Miguel, that's such an amazing picture! I can't wait to see it every day too!!

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Mt. Fuji is so close!! Can you guys see it from wherever you're living?

How good your view is will depend on where exactly you get placed, but here is the view from my apartment in Minami Alps

with a degree in Japanese and Anthropology.

oh God, you and my bf should get along perfectly, he graduated with a degree in Japanese and Eastern Studies and has a huge fascination with anything anthropology related.  His brother put it best "He has a hard on for all things Asian"

oh and if you have the time before leaving the states, it might be a good idea to get your American license real quick and then pay the extra $10-15 for an international license through AAA, which is good for 1 year. It would give you a chance to be able to drive while you get settled and figure out exactly how to get a Japanese license. Also, as other people mentioned, a few of us already have said Japenese licenses, and there is a thread about it, so ask away if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:05:08 AM by jeneko »
--Albert Einstein

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
If you only know that you are in Yamanashi Ken and don't know the city, then you are what is known as a municipal JET.

(I think you might have this the wrong way around: municipal JETs are those JETs who are hired directly by municipal BoEs so they should be told their full placement from the outset; prefectural JETs are hired by the kencho and so even though they may have been notified that they will be placed in Yamanashi, they will have to wait until we've allocated them to particular schools before they find out their specific placement.)

Crap! That's what you get for four hours sleep. It has nothing to do with my advancing years or the alcohol at all.

Offline KimM.

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • thanks for the pic, Jen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
And Miguel, that's such an amazing picture! I can't wait to see it every day too!!

Just to give you fair warning, you're not likely to see Mt. Fuji much for the first few months you're here. August and September, Fuji is usually covered in clouds.  However, come late falll and through the winter, you will probably have plenty of chances to see it!

Welcome to Yamanashi, by the way!
Reach for the stars!

Offline The Badger Baron of Shizuoka

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • "Pants on head retarded"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
Best way to see fuji at this time of the year is to climb it.  Yet another glorious YETI event.

Rabble rabble rabble

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
with a degree in Japanese and Anthropology.

oh God, you and my bf should get along perfectly, he graduated with a degree in Japanese and Eastern Studies and has a huge fascination with anything anthropology related.  His brother put it best "He has a hard on for all things Asian"

oh and if you have the time before leaving the states, it might be a good idea to get your American license real quick and then pay the extra $10-15 for an international license through AAA, which is good for 1 year. It would give you a chance to be able to drive while you get settled and figure out exactly how to get a Japanese license. Also, as other people mentioned, a few of us already have said Japenese licenses, and there is a thread about it, so ask away if you have any questions.

Hmm.. people may have said the same thing about me too ;)

Definitely planning on getting the international license sometime before I leave, getting a Japanese license seems annoyingly difficult and I'd like to put it off for as long as possible.

Best way to see fuji at this time of the year is to climb it.  Yet another glorious YETI event.

I'm up for that as well! Haven't done much mountain climbing in my life but looks like I'm gonna have to start.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
Get that International license for sure. Totally worth it.
Don't worry too much about climbing Fuji. We start halfway and old grandmothers do it all the time. Hell, even I got to the top.
Altitude sickness is another thing though.

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
Get that International license for sure. Totally worth it.
Don't worry too much about climbing Fuji. We start halfway and old grandmothers do it all the time. Hell, even I got to the top.
Altitude sickness is another thing though.

my principal, who is probably around 65, has told me multiple times that it's pretty easy and that he does it about once a year. He also made sure to add that his 'good for nothing son-in-law' has yet to climb it.

And the international license is just about the best thing ever! It took me literally 5 minutes of waiting at my local AAA place for them to print it up and a $10 fee, I spent more time explaining to the workers that I was not going to die of radiation then I did waiting for the actual papers.
Also, you can do it now or closer to your depature date, because it lasts a year starting from the date you request it to begin (I'd recommend a few weeks after your arrival, so that you can get some extra time out of it  :-P)
--Albert Einstein