mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
Latin?
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
Has anyone ever experimented with teaching greek and latin roots?  It seems like something that would be very helpful for an English student since greek and latin are so pervasive in the language.

tantei

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Latin?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
One of my JTEs touched on the subject of latin roots at the same time as she was teaching phonics.  I believe the ones we covered were things like "uni-, bi-, tri-, quad- etc" and "pre-", although there might have been more.  I work at a junior high school, however, and it wasn't possible to go into these in too much depth.  I think it is an interesting topic that students might find intriguing, but it could potentially be difficult and confusing to teach.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make SUPER lemons.

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
PM Erik. His forum name is "Varangian"

bad_wolf_charm

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • FEROCIOUS Patron Deity of the South Bu Collective
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
Has anyone ever experimented with teaching greek and latin roots?  It seems like something that would be very helpful for an English student since greek and latin are so pervasive in the language.

I had a long discussion with a couple students on a linguistics board re this. The biggest issue, shared by my JTE's, is that they don't have enough exposure to experimentation with the words/derivatives in English (set vocab lists and nothing else etc) to be able to connect the dots or benefit until more like university-level study, unless they're able to study overseas or raised with English-speaking parent etc.
I drop bits and pieces of things like prefixes as Tantei said into my lessons, but altho it occasionally lights up a face or two it tends to go in one ear and out the other; more like "oh, that's a huge coincidence" rather than "oh, they're connected."
Useful to explain single words tho, like explaining unicycle vs. bicycle etc IME.
I MUST PICK YOU UP AND SHAKE YOU IN ORDER TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FUNCTION.

Jon v Japan- 14(8 ):3, Jon v Hong Kong- 7:12 (3), Jon v Heraklios- 1:3

"My fist is swollen from the velocity at which the tears impacted it."

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:59 AM »
I go into them on certain occasions--- jobs and occupations are a great example to start and take it from there...but really, unless you're in a top tier school, any deep study would be a lot for most students.  THis is something you can really get into with your English club.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.