Author Topic: Applying for a phone  (Read 9776 times)

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Applying for a phone
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »
I was chatting to Matt today and apparently the iphone (including connection costs) cost 57,000 yen that he had to pay upfront

That's with Softbank though, right? That's not the same as the AU everybody discount, correct?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
Yeah. Softbank are the exclusive carriers of the iphone unfortunately.
AU does about 5 smartphones that are free, they are mainly those that are a year to 3 months old.
If you want to get a phone, I can take you to a shop Thursday or Friday. Most. if not all of the costs will only be charged after your first paycheck.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:30:12 AM by fred »

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
I was chatting to Matt today and apparently the iphone (including connection costs) cost 57,000 yen that he had to pay upfront

That's with Softbank though, right? That's not the same as the AU everybody discount, correct?

It is quite possible that he didn't negotiate for the iPhone or get the proper plan.  I got my wife an iPhone 4 a few months ago.  We paid nothing up front.  Also, the cost for her phone per month barely differed from what we payed for a normal cell phone.  I actually think the cost might have gone down.  If you want an iPhone, you really just need to talk with the folks at the store and they will help you set up the right plan.  We are paying for the phone month by month, i think on a two year plan, and for hers and my phones it costs us about 15,000-18,000 per month.  But, that is for two phones both with pretty much the max usage plans. 

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
Maybe because you have a Japanese wife with a Japanese credit card and possibly a spousal visa etc etc, you were able to do that.
Those without those are paying upfront or maybe it was just Matt. No-one else seems to be telling me otherwise.

Also, how much do you use your phone? What do you mean by max usage? As in data? How about calls?

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
We got the phone without a credit card, and I don't have a spousal visa; that being said, the phone is under her name, which means that maybe they are screwing foreigners over a bit (it is possible that they are simply making you pay for the whole phone instead of letting you pay for it over the course of your 2 year contract).  As far as max usage, we are talking data.  If I remember correctly (which could be totally off) I have a plan for my phone that varies between 1000 and 4000 yen based on data.  I barely ever go above 1500 yen though for that.  Also for calls, all of the plans tend to be expensive, though I will say that AU screwed me bad the last time I had their phone.  For three months I was charged about 1200 DOLLARS for phone calls.  It was totally out of control.  The price per minute is insane and most of the plans only give you like 60 minutes a month  :P  Right now, our softbank plan is free calling between us, also, if I remember correctly, Softbank is free calling between other people on Softbank (at least that was true two years ago, might be different now).  My wife and I talk on the phone a lot, so the free calling is pretty nice. 

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Cool thanks for that.
As for AU, I think you may have fucked up on that. If you went for the cheapest plan and talked a lot, then you would go over your minutes and they will screw you.
At this moment in time, I am on the most expensive plan and I know that I am making about 40min to 1.5hours of phonecalls per day and I don't expect my monthly bill to be more than 11,000 yen.
The free minutes are 25,62,144,262,800 for each plan from SS to LL. If you had chosen wisely......

If the majority of phonecalls you make are to your wife, then I can see why that appeals to you. AU's version is any 3 AU numbers for 390 per month. Or were you spending a lot of time with other people on the phone?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:32:54 PM by fred »

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
I was on AU before I got married and I was on one of the cheaper plans.  Unfortunately, I spent a lot of the time on the phone, after my wife and I started dating.  Because of the way that I got the bills, all of the bills were backdated, so I was getting my bill almost 2 months late (very odd really).  For that reason, I started talking a lot all of a sudden, by the time I realized how much it was costing me, it was already too late.  They also don't let you retroactively change your plan here in Japan like they do in the states.  I went over one month on my bill back in the US and they let me change my plan after I got the bill and use the new plan as the basis for calculating how much I owed.  Japan isn't as nice about it.  They will make you pay the full amount, even for mistakes  :P

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
I have heard of Softbank charging you for the full price of the iphone up front if your visa isn't as long as the contract you're signing. A few Interac people have run into this as we typically get 1 year visas when we arrive.  So whoever ran into trouble it  might have just had something to do with the length of contract that was signed??

I think a lot of misconceptions happen by not really understanding how the plans work here... obviously things are a little bit different than in our home countries, so it probably pays to sit down and read through the various plans with the providers/talk to someone in a shop to get the details.  I've only dealt with AU in my time here, but from my experience they've always been really helpful in explaining things to me and answering questions.

It might be worth noting that while yes, you get billed a month later, with AU (and I imagine it's the same for other providers) you can login to their customer area through both your phone and your computer and check you current voice and data usage...  that way you can catch to see if you're going way over your plan and can make adjustments for the next month as needed.

Offline oddba11

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »

I'm sorry, am I correct in thinking that that is around £500!!!!!????

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
On phone stuff...so how do I change my calls plan?
I followed Fred's advice and took medium at first but I want to change it to small for next month, I'm not a huge user, just wanted a little buffer.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
Apparently you can do it online, but I usually go into the shop and tell them that I want to change it. They will change it free of charge and the new plan will start from the first of the upcoming month.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:10 AM »
For those of you on AU who have a smart phone, what has your data usage been like? I am interested to know if the variable plan is an option or if people need to stay on the fixed plan.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
how do you check that?

And I:ve still yet to get around to trying to communicate with people in an au shop....
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
To check current data/voice usage from your phone:
From the AU One Home screen:
Click auお客様サポート
Choose 確認する
Then 通話料・通信料照会
通話料 will be the current charges for voice
通信料 is data, and it should also list where you're currently at in packet usage (パッケト数)

You can also do this from the au website on your computer, but it will require creating a user account, which requires some Japanese knowledge.

You can also change your usage plan from the お客様サポート section on your phone as well.   

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
I....can see none of that. Oh well.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
My bad.... smart phone people will have to create an account with AU customer service and log in....  https://cs.kddi.com/
or click the お客様サポートlink on the au one page from your phone then log in.  Once you're set up, on the main menu there's a button that says    今​月​の​通​話​料​・​通​信​料​  which will display that info for you.   You'll need your phone number, pin code (the 4 digit one you chose when you set up your contract), and your customer code to set up your ID.

Non-smart phone users can follow the directions I posted earlier.

Edit: whoops.... didn't realize the link ate the rest of my post until just now....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:30:29 PM by shneen »

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
Sheena! You are awesome. I am sure this will help some of the new people out.

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Stupid question, and I already know it is most likely a "no", but is there any way to change the phone you have after purchase? I've had it for a few months and am not happy with it at all
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »
Yes you can. However, you will have to buy the new phone and I don't know how much that will be but budget a few man. You current phone is yours to keep however.

The situation gets more complicated if you have a smart phone.

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
You might also run into cancellation charges on your current contract, depending on how it's set up and what carrier you're with.

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
I'm with AU and have one of their free meh phones, so there would be no costs there, guess I will go attempt to talk to an AU worker.

Thanks
--Albert Einstein

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
I'm with AU and have one of their free meh phones, so there would be no costs there, guess I will go attempt to talk to an AU worker.

Thanks

As a new customer, you would have had your phone subsidised down to free. However, I am not sure if there are still free phones available when you upgrade. You may have to pay for the new phone. Usually, they have a working model of the phone, so you can try before you buy.

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
au has two contract systems... simple support and full support.

simple support, from what I understand,  allows you to change anytime, but I think they charge you the full cost of the phone (you can have this split up over several months and added to your bill though).

with full support the cost of the phone is subsidized, and you're locked into a two year contract. If you change before the two years is up, you have to pay to break the contract before you can change.  This starts at 16,800 yen and goes down, based on how long you've been using the phone.  I think they also make you apply any points that you currently have on your account to the cancellation fee, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

either way, there's a 2000 yen fee that they charge for changing your phone, which they add to your next bill.   There might also be some charges based on whatever discount options you're signed up for (I think that applies more to simple support).

So it'll just depend on what type of contract you have. I'm unsure of the particulars of the simple support stuff as I've done my last two phones through the full support plan. 

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks so much guys, quite helpful
--Albert Einstein

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »
I have heard of Softbank charging you for the full price of the iphone up front if your visa isn't as long as the contract you're signing. A few Interac people have run into this as we typically get 1 year visas when we arrive.  So whoever ran into trouble it  might have just had something to do with the length of contract that was signed??

true...if your visa is less than 2 years you will have to pay to close to US 600 dollars up front.  Even their cheapo phones are 33,700 yen.
My ipoine was just stolen and their insurance only covers 1 year even though your phone contract is 2 years.  Plus, they can not/would not tell me if anyone made calls before I could cancel it.  There is no #
"o" yen phone plan anymore.  Everything is packaged with some stupid internet package.  Gone are the days of 3000 yen a month phone bills.  I paid 23,000 last month. booo. hissss.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
For those of you on AU who have a smart phone, what has your data usage been like? I am interested to know if the variable plan is an option or if people need to stay on the fixed plan.

I got my smart phone in the summer, at the time the fixed plan was only about 900 yen less (or so, I cant remember) than if you used the maximum data on the variable plan.  So, I went with the variable plan.  My reasoning is because when I'm on vacation, I don't use my phone at all so, my phone bill for those months is usually around 4000 or so since I pay for my phone month-to-month.  The maximum I can pay on the variable plan is like 9,800.  The maximum I would pay with the fixed plan is something like 8,900.  The occasional 4890 savings makes up for the extra 800 yen I spend during the regular months.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
On the variable plan, do you always hit/exceed the package ceiling?
I am 95% sure that you can change your data plan for free every month (never done it myself). So, if you want, you could go to the fixed for the months that you are here and then change to flexible for when you are away.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
My iphone was recently stolen, and I am trying to figure out what to do....I went to softbank and their insurance only runs for 1 year for an iphone.  I considered buying a new phone, but their cheapest are 36,000 yen.  Since my visa needs to be renewed this month, I would have to pay the costs up front to get any phone at all. 

My question is this, I do have an old softbank phone from years back--could I connect it and still use my old number?  Would I have to pay for any extra plan costs?  ANyone have experience with a lost phone? :|

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
I haven't used softbank, but I was in a similar situation a while back with AU. I borrowed a phone from them and made a new sim card etc (as if I had lost it) and they charged me under 3000 yen and I could use their phone.
I am assuming that you could do the same with softbank as long as the phone is still compatible with the current network. Otherwise how would you be able to buy and use those phones that you see at the recycle shops?

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
Soooo , in the same vein, I should be able to purchase a used iPhone as well?  Anyone seen one/have one for sale?