Author Topic: English club  (Read 818 times)

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
English club
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
So what does everyone (who has one) do with their English club?
I`m needing to think of after school stuff to do with my high school club. Apparently my pred baked with them a lot and watched films- my baking skills are hilariously bad so I`m going to have to go down a different road there. Trouble is I just can`t think what.
毒食らわば皿まで

TiffanyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • ♬♩♫
    • View Profile
Re: English club
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
You could play board games with them, if there are any at your school.  Or make up some games to play.  Kids love games! Maybe they would like Scrabble? I have my first English club for my elementary school here in a few minutes.  Should be interesting... I'm definitely not sure what we should do in that club (they don't know much English!), but I'm sure I'll think of something within the next 20 min or so!  :|
明日は明日の風が吹く。

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
I did an email club.  I contacted a school from GA and had one of their higher level English classes send me emails and then my kids went through them and answered their questions.  This started a bit of a pen pal thing and we met once every two weeks to read letters and write them back.  Downside here is everything went through my email, so I had to type out all the responses, but it was still pretty cool.  The kids loved it.

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »
My club said they wanted to learn about America, so I was going to try to show some relevant movies every now and then.  Anyone know where to get Pocahontas with Japanese subtitles?  Also, since it was such a hit at the welcome party, I'm going to teach some American handshakes, because they are so important.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
Year-long
Every year the students love Flat stanley projects--actually we did it last year and they want to do it again. 

They had pictures from all around the world--yellowstone, tierra del fuego, tasmania, even the dome of the rock in Israel.  And phots of their character in first class on an airplane, at an egg farm, a family reunion, swimming in Lake Ontario (they were laminated stanleys)

They love translating menus and questionnaires for restaurants and doctor's offices respectively.
December
The bonenkai was a huge hit. 
October
On halloween we make a school haunted house for the other students to come to after school, the other members walk around the school in costumes with bags of penny candy to distribute.  last year our tarot card table near the Genkan was HUGELY successful--even teachers came to have their fortune read--and I just used 10 cards I downloaded off the internet and colored in.

September (now) can be used for Eiken review.

Other things are:English Club Idol

how an episode of American Idol (subtitled versions can be found at Tsutaya or on-line).  Then give them a list of songs--they choose the song they want to sing and the next club day have your own English Club Idol.  Winner gets 2 tickets to a movie or a 1000 yen certificate to Melody.

November

Thanksgiving Dinner
use the kitchen at school to make a simple Thanksgiving Dinner--stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie.

These are some of the themed projects I do monthly.  On down days I take concrete lessons and we work on grammar or sentence structure, then we might have a round robin topic discussion or focus on aspects of pronunciation difficulties. 

Furthermore, each student is tasked with giving a presentation on the country of his or her choice, including basic phrases in the native tongue (our club is called the international club).  Many of them opt to bring in a dish from that country for the other students to sample.

They love re-enacting the typical greeting scene: Hello, nice to meet you, my name is..., how are you, good-bye.
They even loved learning how to count.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.