Author Topic: Sending luggage to Narita  (Read 1941 times)

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Sending luggage to Narita
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:36 PM »
Hey guys, I was talking with a newbie recently who had never heard of this service and thought it might be useful to other newbies as well!

Yamato offers a airport takkyubin service to narita airport.  For those of you who have to drive to a train station, get on a train, get off a train and onto a bus or make a lot of train transfers, this service is incredibly useful.  It prevents you having to lug around your bags when they may get too heavy for you.  You can schedule a pick up directly from your house at least two days before your plane leaves.  Yamato picks it up from your place and sends it on to Narita.  You simply pick up your luggage at Narita and bring it to the check in counter.  You can also send your extra luggage home when you come back to Japan.  Just go up to the yamato counter after you exit customs.

Cost varies by size but in years past, I have paid about 3600 for two large-ish luggage pieces.  You can also pay round trip though it only saves you a whopping 100 yen.  You can also do the reservation for pick up on the internet, however you must first register with the site.  IT's free but takes time and a lot of google translating if you have zero Japanese.  Alternatively, you can arrange for it to be picked up at many conbinis, just ask them about airport takkyubin.  Not all conbinis can do this, so you'll need to ask.  You can also just show up at any kuroneko shop.

Information in English:http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/services/airport.html
Information  in Japanese with links to registering an ID with kuroneko:http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/kuukou/kuukou.html

Hope it becomes of some use to you!

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Sending luggage to Narita
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
I have only used this once from the airport to home and my luggage was with me within 12 hours from Haneda. I have helped plenty of people use this service and they loved it. It is highly recommended for those returning home.

Thanks a lot Sarah  :-*

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Sending luggage to Narita
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
I second this.  It's super convenient.

If you don't speak much Japanese, you can always go to the kuroneko shop beforehand to get the forms, and then have your JTE help you fill it out.  The workers probably won't speak English, so you at least need to know the vocabulary for all the stuff they'll ask you

In my experience, the shop has airport forms pre-labeled if you ask. You would just need to write in your own information.  And if you do it on your own, be sure to know all your flight details (number, time, terminal, north/south wing).  If you tell them the wrong thing, no big deal, but you'll have to go to a different counter to pick it up.