Author Topic: New to Nash for 2012!  (Read 67707 times)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
New to Nash for 2012!
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
If you are coming into the Nash at anytime in 2012, introduce yourself here. Any questions, queries or worries you have are more than welcome. We are more than willing to help you out  :lol:

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
Re: New to Nash for 2012!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
Hello my future neighbors!   :-D

First of all, I want to thank the owner and participating members of this forum.  I haven't had time to review many posts, but I can already tell this forum will be of great help!   ^-^

My name is Juan Pablo Barba.  I'm moving in to Fujiyoshida on the 25th of March.  I will be an ALT through Interac.  I don't have any details about which schools I'll be teaching at yet, but they did mention I'd be teaching junior high.  I also don't know where my apartment will be, but I'd love to live in the one below because of it's central location.  As many of you know though, I have no choice in the matter.  More than likely I'll be receiving a LeoPalace .  Currently there aren't any bigger LeoPalaces available that I'm interested, but I hope a really nice one opens up soon that will have my name on it!   8-) 

http://www.leopalace21.com/apps/searchCondition/detail/r/0000042229106.html?campaign=0&backUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.leopalace21.com%2Fsearch%2Fr%2Fdiv19%3FprefGroup%3D03%26area%3D19202%26layout%3D2%26kodawari%3D1-242-01%2C1-901-01%2C1-907-01%2C1-905-01

I was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico and speak fluent Spanish.  I live in a suburb of Chicago called Carpentersville.  I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma and have lived in a suburb setting almost all of my life.  I have two shiba inu dogs that I will miss dearly named Mina and Mochi.  I live with my twin brother (Jose Antonio) in a town-home we purchased almost 4 years ago.  He's definitely going to come visit me so there will be two of me in Fujiyoshida at one point!   :-o  haha! 
I've been working at US Cellular, my current employer for almost 10 years.  I started off in Tulsa and transferred over to Chicago.  I'm a System Access Administrator (grant/remove access to programs) and am very very ready for a new challenge in life.  I've volunteered a couple of times at local elementary schools where I taught for half a day.  I loved it! 
I lived in Sakai, Osaka as a foreign exchange student through AFS almost 10 years.  It was a 2 month summer stay.  I still see my host mom on a regular basis.  We email each other almost everyday and Skype every so often.  She's awesome!  She's helped me learn quite a bit of Japanese (Osaka ben as well) so I'm at a high beginner level when it comes to spoken conversations.  I can read hiragana, katakana and a low level of kanji.

I know of one more person who will be moving into Yamanashi.  His name is Nick and I'm going to let him know about this forum soon.  He will be in NIRASAKI. 

I'm really excited about moving to Japan and am grateful to have a network of people available in my new setting.  Thanks everyone!

Please feel free to ask me anything you'd like to know about me!  I'm an open book! ^-^

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »
Bienvenido Juan (Prefieres Juan Pablo?)!

Me llamo Miguel y vivo en Fujiyoshida. Naci en La Palma (Islas Canarias, Espana) pero mi familia es irlandesa.

On another note:

I know of one more person who will be moving into Yamanashi.  His name is Nick and I'm going to let him know about this forum soon.  He will be in NIRASAKI. 

Another Nick! And in Nirasaki?

There should be a cap on the amount of people with one name.

OR, we should have entire prefectures where all the gaijin are called the same!
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »

Me llamo Miguel y vivo en Fujiyoshida. Naci en La Palma (Islas Canarias, Espana) pero mi familia es irlandesa.

On another note:

I was just about to post on all these things.  So many Spanish-speakers, and SO MANY NICKS!  2 in Nirasaki!

Oh, also, hello Juan (Pablo)!  My name is Matt and I live in Hokuto, on the opposite side of the ken.  Tambien yo hablo el Español, pero, tal vez no tanto como Mig y Carlos.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:42:38 PM by mattclough »

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »

Now the Nick army can finally go head to head with the Matt army!! Who will win??? Which name will hold supremacy?? each is losing one member this year too so we'll still be at 3-all next year.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
Oh, wow, that was quick, and here I expected this thread to sit a while.

What is it with Yamanashi and latin folk?
So many!

Hello Mr. New Person.
Do you like.....stuff?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:56:15 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
Now the Nick army can finally go head to head with the Matt army!! Who will win??? Which name will hold supremacy?? each is losing one member this year too so we'll still be at 3-all next year.

What if the Kencho just got on a Matt/Nick streak akin to the Kentucky thing in Hokuto a while back?  If I was working in a government position, I might consider doing that to make my job more interesting.

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
Welcome to the Nash, Juan. I am also Matt and I live in Yamanashi-shi, which is on your side of Kofu, but on the other side of the mountains. Good god, yet another Nick though....I wonder if he's Kelley's replacement. 
Being in Nirasaki, he and Nick M. Could form a duet and call themselves The Nirasaki Nicks.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Welcome to Fujiyoshida. I will be one of your neighbours from Kuma Ana (the bear cave). I should seriously start my Spanish learning with so many opportunities around =_=.  Fujiyoshida is an awesome place, the only thing we are missing is an Aeon mall, other than that we have everything. Including a wicked and world famous amusement park. Also, living at the BASE of Japan`s most famous landmark is pretty damn epic. The view from my apartment is good enough to charge admission and use my balcony as a viewing deck. There are Free Japanese lessons available as well, even for more advanced speakers. The only draw back I can see is that the whole town is on a hill, so for 90% of the time you are either going uphill or down hill, and that it is cooler here than in the Kofu basin. However, you will not be living in an ancient apartment, so the cold should be no problem.
If you have anymore questions about Fujiyoshida, please do not hesitate to ask!

Offline jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »

So many!

Hello Mr. New Person.
Do you like.....stuff?

Nah, since Interac and Borderlink send in people at the start of the Japanese school year, you guys will be getting quite a few new faces in the coming days. I know in Minami Alps alone you guys are getting 6 new people at the end of the month  :-o
I'll try to pass on the word to them about YETI
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
The only draw back I can see is that the whole town is on a hill, so for 90% of the time you are either going uphill or down hill, and that it is cooler here than in the Kofu basin.

You see this as a drawback???? You need to wait until summer before you see how crucial and fantastic this is.

Also, I got so caught up in the Matt/Nick thing in my last post that I forgot to say Hi Juan Pablo! Welcome to Yamanashi.

Offline Varangian

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Do a barrel roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
Maybe we should start calling it Nickasaki...

Y tambien, bienvenidos Juan! Me llamo Erik. Llegado a Fujiyoshida frecuentamente a visitar mi amigo Miguel, y en el pasado hay a habemos un fiesta con los otros personas que interesado en espanol. Para mi, yo vivo en Hokuto con mi novia Emily y naci a vivia en varios lugares de los Estados Unidos. Mi espanol es menos de perfecto, pero me gusta la posibilidad a hablar la lingua. Espero a te conoces pronto!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:11:28 AM by Varangian »
You, minion, are too saucy for my bacon.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
The only draw back I can see is that the whole town is on a hill, so for 90% of the time you are either going uphill or down hill, and that it is cooler here than in the Kofu basin.

You see this as a drawback???? You need to wait until summer before you see how crucial and fantastic this is.

Also, I got so caught up in the Matt/Nick thing in my last post that I forgot to say Hi Juan Pablo! Welcome to Yamanashi.

Yeah, what?  When I talk about the advantages of Hokuto that's one of the first things I list. Kofu is miserable for weather!  It's called a basin.  A basin.  Who would want to live in a basin?

Offline Varangian

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Do a barrel roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
Poop.
You, minion, are too saucy for my bacon.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
I have two shiba inu dogs that I will miss dearly named Mina and Mochi
Also, you have named your Shiba my dream Shiba name: Mochi. Is it a cream coloured Shiba too? I freaking love Shiba Inu`s. 

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
cut copy paste

Me llamo Miguel Plum y vivo en Kofu. Naci en La Palma (Islas Canarias, Espana) Los EEUU.

And that's all I got.

Welcome to Yamanashi, you'll love it!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline ConcreteOrchrd

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
Welcome Juan,

Jalisco is nice, one of my friends is training with some Huichol shamans as we speak! 
My question, and I hope my ignorance is no cause for offense, is:

Why do they keep all the best tequila for themselves in Jalisco?  The best answer I've gotten is a big toothless grin, which ought to be sufficient, but I wonder if there's another reason. 

- Silas

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
cut copy paste

Me llamo Miguel Plum y vivo en Kofu. Naci en La Palma (Islas Canarias, Espana) Los EEUU.

And that's all I got.

Phantom Karma.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »
Haha!  Awesome question Silas!  I can only give you the same answer though.  LOL!! 
Wow, Huichol shamans?  I had to look that up.  :)  I'm very Americanized.  I should be more in touch with my Mexican side though! 

Where abouts do you live in Yamanashi?  Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome Juan,

Jalisco is nice, one of my friends is training with some Huichol shamans as we speak! 
My question, and I hope my ignorance is no cause for offense, is:

Why do they keep all the best tequila for themselves in Jalisco?  The best answer I've gotten is a big toothless grin, which ought to be sufficient, but I wonder if there's another reason. 

- Silas

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »
Hola Miguel!  Prefiero que me llamen Juan Pablo, pero Juan es mas corto entonces llamame como quieras.  :) 

I just sent the New Nick a link to the forum so he should be joining soon!   :mrgreen:

On another note:

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 04:23:16 AM »
Hi Matt!  Tambien hablas Espanol?  De donde eres?  Endonde aprendiste Espanol? 
Hokuto is on the other side?  I really want to see Miss Fuji from that side so maybe you could show me around one day!  :D 

On another note:

I was just about to post on all these things.  So many Spanish-speakers, and SO MANY NICKS!  2 in Nirasaki!

Oh, also, hello Juan (Pablo)!  My name is Matt and I live in Hokuto, on the opposite side of the ken.  Tambien yo hablo el Español, pero, tal vez no tanto como Mig y Carlos.

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:08 AM »
Haha!  Hi OxO!  I love many kinds of stuff! 
Where do you live?  Not sure why Yamanashi has so much latin blood but it might have to do with Miss Fuji's lava!  All of our latin heat might make her erupt one day! 

So many!

Hello Mr. New Person.
Do you like.....stuff?

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »
Hi Matt!  Thanks for the welcome!  I can't wait to move out there and start meeting everyone!  I'd like to make it over to Yamanashi-shi one day!
Nirasaki Nicks!  Nice!!  hahaha!!

Welcome to the Nash, Juan. I am also Matt and I live in Yamanashi-shi, which is on your side of Kofu, but on the other side of the mountains. Good god, yet another Nick though....I wonder if he's Kelley's replacement. 
Being in Nirasaki, he and Nick M. Could form a duet and call themselves The Nirasaki Nicks.

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 04:30:01 AM »
K-Bear!  Hi my future neighbor!  Thank you for the welcome!  I haaaaave to see the view from your place!  Free of charge please!  haha!  I'm REALLY excited to live in such a unique area.  I'm glad to hear that most of everything is available.  I'm looking forward to the up and down hills to get my butt in shape!  I plan to get fit in Japan.  Let's see how that goes!  lol.  Once I know more info about where exactly I'll be living I'll let you know.  I will probably have many questions for ya! 

Thank you!!   ^-^

Welcome to Fujiyoshida. I will be one of your neighbours from Kuma Ana (the bear cave). I should seriously start my Spanish learning with so many opportunities around =_=.  Fujiyoshida is an awesome place, the only thing we are missing is an Aeon mall, other than that we have everything. Including a wicked and world famous amusement park. Also, living at the BASE of Japan`s most famous landmark is pretty damn epic. The view from my apartment is good enough to charge admission and use my balcony as a viewing deck. There are Free Japanese lessons available as well, even for more advanced speakers. The only draw back I can see is that the whole town is on a hill, so for 90% of the time you are either going uphill or down hill, and that it is cooler here than in the Kofu basin. However, you will not be living in an ancient apartment, so the cold should be no problem.
If you have anymore questions about Fujiyoshida, please do not hesitate to ask!

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 04:33:02 AM »
Erik!  Gracias por la bienvenida!  Hablo en Espanol mejor que lo escribo.  Ya que nos juntemos en Japon, hay que hablar mucho en Espanol!  Ojala que los pueda conocer a todos pronto!

Nickasaki it is!!  haha!!

Maybe we should start calling it Nickasaki...

Y tambien, bienvenidos Juan! Me llamo Erik. Llegado a Fujiyoshida frecuentamente a visitar mi amigo Miguel, y en el pasado hay a habemos un fiesta con los otros personas que interesado en espanol. Para mi, yo vivo en Hokuto con mi novia Emily y naci a vivia en varios lugares de los Estados Unidos. Mi espanol es menos de perfecto, pero me gusta la posibilidad a hablar la lingua. Espero a te conoces pronto!

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
Aww!  Shibas are great and I'm REALLY going to miss them especially Mochi.  She is the sweetest shiba ever.   :oops:  They are both the standard "red" color.  I would love a cream one and a black and tan one, but two is plenty!  haha!  Do you have any plans of getting a dog in Japan?

I have two shiba inu dogs that I will miss dearly named Mina and Mochi
Also, you have named your Shiba my dream Shiba name: Mochi. Is it a cream coloured Shiba too? I freaking love Shiba Inu`s.

Offline papotchi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • I love Miss Fuji!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 04:36:35 AM »
haha!  very nice Plum!  thank you! 
What part of the US are you from?

cut copy paste

And that's all I got.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
Hi Matt!  Tambien hablas Espanol?  De donde eres?  Endonde aprendiste Espanol? 
Hokuto is on the other side?  I really want to see Miss Fuji from that side so maybe you could show me around one day!  :D 

Soy de los EEUU en Virginia.  La ultima clase de Espanol era en escuela segundaria, en mi ultimo ano (sorry there's no spanish punctuation on these keyboards), pero en la universidad, tenia un empleo en cual trabajaba con Salvadorenos por unos anos, asi he retenedo un poco.

Yeah Hokuto is a really beautiful area.  Not a lot in the way of city life, but beautiful.  We can see Fuji pretty well, being on a higher elevation, and we have our own impressive mountain range called Yatsugatake.  People don't come up here too often, but I think they're usually surprised at how nice it is when they do.

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Hey Everyone! I'm Jack.   I'm from New York City, USA.  I am 28 years old and I will be replacing Jen at Kushigata Junior High School.  I hope to see some of you at Denny's on Wednesdays.  If not I hope I can be part of the Yamanashi Adventure as soon as I get paid two months from now lol.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.