Author Topic: New to Nash for 2012!  (Read 66994 times)

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: New to Nash for 2012!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 03:04:04 PM »
Hey Everyone! I'm Jack.   I'm from New York City, USA.  I am 28 years old and I will be replacing Jen at Kushigata Junior High School.  I hope to see some of you at Denny's on Wednesdays.  If not I hope I can be part of the Yamanashi Adventure as soon as I get paid two months from now lol.

Hey Jack!

Welcome to the Nash! I'm Mig.

You don't get paid for two months? That sucks. Luckily, we aren't going anywhere for a while so we'll still be around by the time you manage to make it out :D
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
Hey Everyone! I'm Jack.   I'm from New York City, USA.  I am 28 years old and I will be replacing Jen at Kushigata Junior High School.  I hope to see some of you at Denny's on Wednesdays.  If not I hope I can be part of the Yamanashi Adventure as soon as I get paid two months from now lol.

Hey Jack, it's Robin. Not many people on this forum go to Denny's. I think apart from me it's about 3 people.

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Hey Jack, it's Robin. Not many people on this forum go to Denny's. I think apart from me it's about 3 people.

I have never been to a Denny's here.  I don't really know why, McDonalds here is superior to McDonalds in the states, so you'd think it would follow that Denny's would be the same, but I just doubt it.  Part of what makes Denny's in the states so good is that it can and should never exceed a certain level of quality.

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Also, hey, Jack.  I'm Matt.  I live up in Hokuto.  Us mountain-folk don't see Denny's too often anyway.

WELCOME TO YAMANASHI!

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Hello Jack - Josiah here.

Prepare for a reality check and a confrontational experience when you first go to Denny's. It will be made explicitly clear that American food will be, for the most part, a delicacy in Tokyo. Denny's is probably the highest-end of the family restaurants in the Nash, but it's still a Japanese family restaurant. The only thing I really ever order there is the hamburg steak cheese curry doria, which is as delightful to say as it is to eat.

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Dennys is quite decent, though expensiveish.
And having hamburgers served as steaks is a strange and wonderful thing.

But hello new new person!
When do you get here?
In keeping with the established pattern of the thread...Μιλάς ελληνικά?
毒食らわば皿まで

Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
Sorry guys, I didn't mean Denny's in general. Jack was talking about the Minami Alps English conversation club which meets at Denny's every week...

I meant that "not many people on this forum go to the English conversation club in Minami Alps' Denny's."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:01:49 PM by Iggy »

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
Hey Jack,

I'm also Matt. Welcome to the Nash! I live in Yamanashishi, on the other side of Kofu. Look forward to meeting you.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Marc!

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • The Marc of a good time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
Welcome to Yamanashi Jack!

The name's Marc, I live south of you in Minobu, and I'm one of the few who come to the Minami Alps Denny's, though I usually can only be there for the latter half.
Btw, as a general shout out, anyone is welcome to stop by if they're in the area Wednesday evenings  :-D

Hope to meet you in person soon!

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Thanks Everyone for the Warm Welcome!!  I look forward to meeting some of you in person.  I would say soon but I'm currently running on fumes as far as spending for social activities.  But I'll be sure to try my best to go meet as many of you as possible.

It might be hard though considering I don't have a bike or a car and I probably won't get one because my school is so close lol.  Its good to meet all you fellow mountain-ers
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
Thanks Everyone for the Warm Welcome!!  I look forward to meeting some of you in person.  I would say soon but I'm currently running on fumes as far as spending for social activities.  But I'll be sure to try my best to go meet as many of you as possible.

It might be hard though considering I don't have a bike or a car and I probably won't get one because my school is so close lol.  Its good to meet all you fellow mountain-ers

Hey Jack.  Look into the bus system to get around town and into Kofu. There are usually a good amount of people in either Kofu or Fujiyoshida on the weekends.  The main English-speaking bar in Kofu is The Vault; in Fujiyoshida it is Micheal's.   Kofu station is a good place to run into people as well, there is a Starbucks and a Tulleys Coffee on the south side that people frequent.   Get out and about and explore man, enjoy yourself.

BTW, My name is Coleman... First name is Joshua but that's reserved for my mom and Tam and Miki.

jeneko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • your stereotypical dumb blonde
    • View Profile
    • FB Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
Jack, you and Arthur better take care of our schools out there.
And remember, I told my kids to e-mail me if you need to get beat up for being a bad teacher
"I never think of the future -- it comes soon enough."
--Albert Einstein

Mr. Cartmanez

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Linguo *is* dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
Hi y'all.

Although my the Katakana spelling of name has been causing all sorts of headache, my friends usually just call me Alex. I was born in the Azores, but was raised in Toronto, Canada, (or as some as my American colleagues have likened it, "Canadia").
I moved to Nirasaki yesterday, after temporarily lodging in Kofu for about a week. It's my first time in Japan, and admittedly I only started learning Japanese when I arrived...about three weeks ago. (Yoroshiko onegaishimasu).
I've been informed that I'm taking over for Rhee at Nirasaki-shi JHS, and apparently I have some big shoes to fill.
Living out of suitcases has been arduous to say the least, but after a good night's sleep on tatami, I'm ready to taste all that Japan has to offer!

:-D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:04:31 AM by morgadosan »
Too much of a good thing ain't so good.

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Welcome to the Nash!
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »
Hi y'all.

Although my the Katakana spelling of name has been causing all sorts of headache, my friends usually just call me Alex. I was born in the Azores, but was raised in Toronto, Canada, (or as some as my American colleagues have likened it, "Canadia").
I moved to Nirasaki yesterday, after temporarily lodging in Kofu for about a week. It's my first time in Japan, and admittedly I only started learning Japanese when I arrived...about three weeks ago. (Yoroshiko onegaishimasu).
I've been informed that I'm taking over for Rhee at Nirasaki-shi JHS, and apparently I have some big shoes to fill.
Living out of suitcases has been arduous to say the least, but after a good night's sleep on tatami, I'm ready to taste all that Japan has to offer!

Thank god there's someone here from Toronto :D :D :D

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
Welcome to the Nash Alex!
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
Hi y'all.

Thank god there's someone here from Toronto :D :D :D

God why would you say that. Toronto is the domain of all things evil. As someone who has also spend a longtime in Ottawa you should know that they are the enemy. However since he's now a Yetian not a Torontonian I'll let it slide. Welcome to the ken Alex. If it didn't come across fret not I'm only kidding Josiah.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:06:27 PM by NickyB »
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
Welcome everyone! 

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »
God why would you say that. Toronto is the domain of all things evil. As someone who has also spend a longtime in Ottawa you should know that they are the enemy. However since he's now a Yetian not a Torontonian I'll let it slide. Welcome to the ken Alex. If it didn't come across fret not I'm only kidding Josiah.

Growing up in Newfoundland, especially as someone vying for a life more fabulous than that of a fisherman, mechanic or till-manager at Sears, Toronto exists as a sort of Mecca or El Dorado. The mass migration of Easterners who've turned down the idea of labour, hard drug abuse, Ford 4x4s and strippers out West is determined to reach fame and fortune in The Big City.

Shock for them to find themselves in the Dirty 'Shwa... but that's just a Go-Train from billboards and street-meat... the life they always dreamed of. I can't say I'm much different than my forefathers and foremothers. I ended up in Ottawa, but that's like the Cape Breton of central Canada - basically where you end up after running out of gas on the way to somewhere better ;)

NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

Growing up in Newfoundland, especially as someone vying for a life more fabulous than that of a fisherman, mechanic or till-manager at Sears, Toronto exists as a sort of Mecca or El Dorado. The mass migration of Easterners who've turned down the idea of labour, hard drug abuse, Ford 4x4s and strippers out West is determined to reach fame and fortune in The Big City.

Shock for them to find themselves in the Dirty 'Shwa... but that's just a Go-Train from billboards and street-meat... the life they always dreamed of. I can't say I'm much different than my forefathers and foremothers. I ended up in Ottawa, but that's like the Cape Breton of central Canada - basically where you end up after running out of gas on the way to somewhere better ;)

Your argument is funny because I'd say if you were going that direction anyways why stop in Toronto when you could have crossed the border and really made a go of it. Or is the 'American' dream just a little too much of a fake Mecca/El Dorado for you? Not to mention on your journey to fame and fortune you passed over one of the greatest cities in the Americas, Montreal. Montreal street-meat is heads and tails above Toronto's offerings anyways. :-D
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »

Your argument is funny because I'd say if you were going that direction anyways why stop in Toronto when you could have crossed the border and really made a go of it. Or is the 'American' dream just a little too much of a fake Mecca/El Dorado for you? Not to mention on your journey to fame and fortune you passed over one of the greatest cities in the Americas, Montreal. Montreal street-meat is heads and tails above Toronto's offerings anyways. :-D

Montreal... I don't think there's a city in the world like it. I love the architecture, I love the lifestyle, the food, the shopping, the plethora of festivals and events.

it's just the people and the geographic location. Cantankerous, indefatigable hipsters holding down  the last bastion of mainstream civilization. Beyond Montreal you're going to find a whole lot of absolutely nothing for about 12 hours worth of driving. Not counting Quebec City (which is probably one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen), Montreal has to be the most unfortunately placed city next to Vancouver. Which comes back to why I love Toronto so much - a trip to Montreal, Ottawa, the Muskuokas, London, or the U.S is completely feasible. It's also got a fantastic transit system and the homeless are too tired and intoxicated from subway draft that they forget to beg for money. Rideau Street by comparison is a nightmare. I've walked from the harbour to Kensington Market at 3 or 4 in the morning without a problem, but I wouldn't dare walking from Bank to Sandy Hill at that time of night unless I wanted to be forcibly injected with a used needle or asked for money enough times that I actually begin parting with it.

Unless you're in academia or a tourist, you need French to succeed at life in Montreal and that's pretty tough for lots of people. And with Ottawa, there's way too many intelligent people. I believe it's the most "intelligent" city in Canada - being that 50% of people hold a degree, it's where Parliament is at and it's primarily economy is the service sector. Sounds good, but who's got all day to fight in the street with strangers over the government. I had many friends working in Parliament and the parties were amazing - not to say that you wouldn't be denied entry if you were of an opposing political party, but you'd certainly be laughed at. Toronto has none of that - Toronto's got lots of bad qualities, but people who are there are just dumber versions of people from Montreal and the primary language of communication is English. People get into fights about which club to go to, not the Throne Speech.

I can see where you're coming from, though.

buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
I don't understand what you guys are talking about.  :lol:

But welcome, new people! I wonder if because new people have started arriving, our group has ceased to be considered the newbies.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
Welcome to the ken, Alex! Did Rhee not leave much furniture for you? You can check out recycle shops to start picking up the essentials, but if you can wait a few more weeks, I bet you'll find a lot of the leavers advertising furniture and other things on the forums here, so keep an eye out.

I wonder if because new people have started arriving, our group has ceased to be considered the newbies.

Settle down. Not til you're outta your first year. You've still never risked life and limb in a Nash 500. You lot are green.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
Welcome to the ken, Alex! Did Rhee not leave much furniture for you? You can check out recycle shops to start picking up the essentials, but if you can wait a few more weeks, I bet you'll find a lot of the leavers advertising furniture and other things on the forums here, so keep an eye out.

Leo Palace people are generally not allowed to leave things in the apartments when they leave.  I'm sure Rhee sold/gave away/threw away most of her stuff before she left.
I helped Nick move in to her same apartments and the Leo Palaces and it was that case.  They even charge a hefty "cleaning fee" when you move out. 

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
Ohhhh, gotcha. I didn't realize it was a Leo Palace joint.

Well, then the point stands- keep an eye out for anything useful popping up on the boards, and be sure to claim it!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
You could even be proactive and make a list of what you want and posting it up here. I know that I am awful for not getting round to advertising stuff I want to get rid of. Also, those leaving may want to get rid of things sooner too.

kchew

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
Yay! I hope I can meet some new people before I leave!
*imagine kermit gif here*
:D

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Welcome to the Nash, Alex!

Mr. Cartmanez

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Linguo *is* dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »

Montreal... I don't think there's a city in the world like it. I love the architecture, I love the lifestyle, the food, the shopping, the plethora of festivals and events.

it's just the people and the geographic location. Cantankerous, indefatigable hipsters holding down  the last bastion of mainstream civilization. Beyond Montreal you're going to find a whole lot of absolutely nothing for about 12 hours worth of driving. Not counting Quebec City (which is probably one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen), Montreal has to be the most unfortunately placed city next to Vancouver. Which comes back to why I love Toronto so much - a trip to Montreal, Ottawa, the Muskuokas, London, or the U.S is completely feasible. It's also got a fantastic transit system and the homeless are too tired and intoxicated from subway draft that they forget to beg for money. Rideau Street by comparison is a nightmare. I've walked from the harbour to Kensington Market at 3 or 4 in the morning without a problem, but I wouldn't dare walking from Bank to Sandy Hill at that time of night unless I wanted to be forcibly injected with a used needle or asked for money enough times that I actually begin parting with it.

Unless you're in academia or a tourist, you need French to succeed at life in Montreal and that's pretty tough for lots of people. And with Ottawa, there's way too many intelligent people. I believe it's the most "intelligent" city in Canada - being that 50% of people hold a degree, it's where Parliament is at and it's primarily economy is the service sector. Sounds good, but who's got all day to fight in the street with strangers over the government. I had many friends working in Parliament and the parties were amazing - not to say that you wouldn't be denied entry if you were of an opposing political party, but you'd certainly be laughed at. Toronto has none of that - Toronto's got lots of bad qualities, but people who are there are just dumber versions of people from Montreal and the primary language of communication is English. People get into fights about which club to go to, not the Throne Speech.

I can see where you're coming from, though.

Wow. You pretty much nailed the not-so-subtle differences between the major Canadian cities in one fell swoop. All of what you wrote is true...it's a shame I'm fairly ambivalent about all things national, or intra-national. (New word). What I would like is a fridge. Seriously though, I moved into a completely empty apartment, (completely empty), and will welcome all donations. Hot cocoa and cookies may be provided to those kind enough to drop off their goods. A detailed request in the appropriate board will be posted soon. Thanks for all the warm welcomes folks!

Too much of a good thing ain't so good.

Varangian

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Do a barrel roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »
Morgado, welcome to the ken!

I have a spare bachelor fridge if you'd like to work something out. It's honestly only good for the casual male type with small kitchen needs. Also, I have a stake, former property of Vampire Hunter Rhee. Let me know.
You, minion, are too saucy for my bacon.