Author Topic: New to Nash for 2012!  (Read 67706 times)

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: New to Nash for 2012!
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
I agree the Japanese system is a joke compared to back home. It's just like most Japanese work places where they confused working long hours with working hard.

and you're definitely right about the buying into uni places. Many universities allot X-amount of positions to high schools they're associated with. They don't need to take exams, all they need is the recommendation from the high school.

We're not sure where we'll be living long term,  butI think whatever we go with down the track we'll either move back or send our kid to fam in the other country for homestay/study for a year so they can experience both ways.

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »
What do you play?  I tried to put an Irish band together last year ---but we only managed to jam once or twice before people moved away etc...

Whistle, Bodhran, and I sing.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »

We're not sure where we'll be living long term,  butI think whatever we go with down the track we'll either move back or send our kid to fam in the other country for homestay/study for a year so they can experience both ways.

But if "your're" not Japanese and "you" don't feel a need to fit into the system then that will be all the difference your child will need. straight from birth they'll be the different one that if they go down a slightly different path then it won't be a total shock anyway.

A lesson I had today summed it up for me. Two equally bright students told me about their weekend. One studied from 10am til 10pm with lunch, afternoon, and dinner breaks. The other went to watch a whole tuna get butchered (dissected?) at Ogino. Both will get as far as they want because they are bright enough to do so, but the latter will enjoy the journey.

The Japanese system is as serious as you want to take it and the same goes for the western system. They both seem to get you ready for the adult life coming your way.
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
What do you play?  I tried to put an Irish band together last year ---but we only managed to jam once or twice before people moved away etc...
Whistle, Bodhran, and I sing.

I see.  Cool, though I was kinda hoping you were going to say fiddle, which is unsurprisingly hard to find in Yamanashi ---and all the violinists I know are not willing to play fiddle music.  Their loss.
As it is that project has been shelved, but who knows... more vocals and pipes may have been just what it needed... ;)

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 27, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
I see.  Cool, though I was kinda hoping you were going to say fiddle, which is unsurprisingly hard to find in Yamanashi ---and all the violinists I know are not willing to play fiddle music.  Their loss.
As it is that project has been shelved, but who knows... more vocals and pipes may have been just what it needed... ;)

Yeaaaah. Unfortunately I've never been good with any instrument that has strings, but if I were I'd probably take up the banjo. I had a student who graduated in march who played Irish Fiddle....don't know how I let that one get away. Even if it's not band-type stuff I'm always interested in jamming.

Offline therowdyrob

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
Good morning! I'm a little late to the party but better than never as it is often said.

I'm Robert and I'm originally from a small town in the middle of the desert called Las Vegas. You may have heard of it though.

I came to Japan in late May, moved out to Minimi Alps a week later, and started work on June 4th ( I was a replacement for one or two ALTs, hence my late start). I'm ALT through Borderlink, working at one 中学校 and two 小学校. Found out about Yeti through a new JET and her husband who are living out in Kai City and I wish I found this site sooner! Those first couple of months were rough!

I'm into writing, strength training, video games (fighters, primarily), and am Christian. I also enjoy studying 漢字 and would like to get into 書道. Although, I honestly need more speaking practice since I'm still primarily incompetent in Japanese. That's all for now, I suppose. よろしく!

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
Welcome to the forums Robert! Glad to have you here. Has Nathan heard about this too? I meant to mention it to yall but I think I forgot.  :?

Offline therowdyrob

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
Welcome to the forums Robert! Glad to have you here. Has Nathan heard about this too? I meant to mention it to yall but I think I forgot.  :?

Lol, I saw your name and thought, "Terranasaurus...Terra...Terranasaurus...Terra...Hmmm."
I honestly don't if he has or not. Maybe he also has a carefully and cleverly disguised username.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
Indeed, welcome to the forums. As you can tell, my name is not so cunningly disguised.
Nathan has not joined the forums...unless he has failed to see my follow up e-mail.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 06, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Hey Robert,

Welcome! Also from LV! Good to hear someone else is from the area! I hope you're enjoying yourself in Minami Alps, if you're ever in Kofu or have any questions about anything...feel free to ask!  :wink:
B

Offline therowdyrob

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
Hey Robert,

Welcome! Also from LV! Good to hear someone else is from the area! I hope you're enjoying yourself in Minami Alps, if you're ever in Kofu or have any questions about anything...feel free to ask!  :wink:

Oh, nice! There's another crazy desert person here haha. I don't know about you but the smell of cigarettes and clamor of a pachinko parlor is partially reminiscent of home lol.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
haHAA!

Yes, I do miss playing video poker/keno/blackjack before I leave the grocery store...but hey, now we have bento. ^-^
B

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
« Reply #462 on: December 02, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »
I'm into writing, strength training, video games (fighters, primarily), and am Christian. 
Fighters you say.
If you ever want to check out FinalRoundBats some night and want a place to crash closer to Tokyo, hit me up. I'm just on the Tokyo border in Uenohara so it's a handy enough trip and I go in every month.

Offline therowdyrob

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Fighters you say.
If you ever want to check out FinalRoundBats some night and want a place to crash closer to Tokyo, hit me up. I'm just on the Tokyo border in Uenohara so it's a handy enough trip and I go in every month.

Sweet, dude! Thanks for the offer. I'm in Minami Alps so I'm usually heading in the direction fairly often. I def gotta get some human opponents; playing the challenges and endless battle modes can't really sharpen up your fighting skills like playing against a real person can (and my wifi isn't up to snuff for fighters).