Author Topic: High Level Class advice  (Read 985 times)

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
High Level Class advice
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I just found out that I'll be teaching a class of 11 3rd-year students for three hours a week. It's looking like I'll have a fair amount of leeway in what to teach them, so I'm planning to orientate the class around teaching them about American/western culture and life with a strong emphasis on having them debate and give presentations in front of each other. I also was thinking of having them do some research type project where they have to write a (short) paper in English on a English speaking nation and then do a presenation on that country in front of the class. Has anyone done something similar to this or have some good lesson plan suggestions or ideas?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: High Level Class advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
I had a class break into groups and study different world cultures once.  They did American Indians and Egyptians and Eskimos and a few others.  They then had to make power point presentations and do a 15 minute presentation.  The kids loved it and did a great job with it. 

mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
You could go anywhere with this.  I would start with the various elements of culture and examine them in the western world, i.e. food, clothing, language, religion, entertainment, ethnicity, tradition, government, education, transportation, arts, etc.  You can make interesting lessons from any one of these topics, and you could definitely find some good debate topics.

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Another fun presentation we did was to look at the differences in an American HS vs. a Japanese HS.  The kids found all kids of things by watching an episode of Glee. 

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
Cool, thanks for some ideas guys. I think I'm going to start off with a discussion on school uniforms and how most schools in America don't use them.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
When I was an exchange student in high school, my JET did something like that for his English class. There were 11 students, and he was from Canada so he made each of them do a presentation on one province (the last kid did the Yukon and the other territories were omitted) including describing their flags, local food, imports + exports, famous people, things to see etc. They also got to spend a class or two in the computer lab to make PP presentations to accompany them.

You're not Canadian, so I guess you can't be expected to do that, but is it possible for you to break America up into 11 chunks? I had no idea until this year there were so many places or areas in the U.S... the first time I heard "Rust Belt" was this year. You also often hear that some states are like different countries, with different climates, political attitudes, lifestyles and even laws. I think that would be a great way to teach them about American specifically.

for the final project you could have them write on a big issue in the U.S, which is "should more control be provided at the Federal level, or at the State level?" and they have to use their own areas and political issues as the basis for their argument. I wanna take that class myself!

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
Josiah, that's a pretty interesting idea! Yeah, the United States is rife with regional identities (that is a large part of why State's rights is such a big deal in America, imo). Also, I hadn't thought of it, but that will actually make the class a lot easier to teach, because I'll be able to draw off of my education more. Now to refine this idea and pitch it to my JTE.

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
the first time I heard "Rust Belt" was this year.

The first time I heard "Rust Belt" was right now, which in itself reinforces the idea that different regions are like entirely different countries... Huh. Learn something new everyday.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
Huzzah! Just pitched my basic idea for the class to the JTE I'll be teaching it with and she liked it.