Author Topic: Things of great desire! Pizza, Simpsons, etc...  (Read 5968 times)

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Messaging error # 1204950.30430
    • View Profile
Things of great desire! Pizza, Simpsons, etc...
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
When in Rome, do as the Romans do!  But I'm in Japan so:

As a hungry man, I was wondering if there's a way (hopefully not too expensive) too get an old fashion

-Pepperoni Pizza--like the kind I get on the states (Big crust, real tomato sauce, cheese, and I want to emphasize that thin crust is just not the real deal).   Also,

-Tortilla chips (in bulk hopefully) too make nachos!

and as a mediacally starved dude, I was wondering if there's a way I could get a few shows that I can't find in Tsutaya.  These are shows I want to share with the natives who are missing out and want to watch on those nights where I just need to stop thinking. 

-Simpsons (Tsutaya has the most limited collection and not from the prime seasons... like season 3 to 8 or something like that)... probably the best show to express American culture to students!

-Futurama

-That 70s show--Don't worry I know this is not for school obviously because it references things that I am sure are not school except able.

Also just some newer shows to keep me sharp (30 Rock, Parks and Rec). 

Thank you MacDonalds for giving me some nostalgia (actually I was more of a Wendy's guy) but I guys I need more.

Thank you for understanding my issue...  Being in Japan for most of a year and having none of these is starting to cause me Brainitus!

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Re: Things of great desire! Pizza, Simpsons, etc...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »
Pizza hut's monthly sale should be soon? Right? I too need American style pizza.

Tortilla chips- they're super expensive at kaldi. I've also found 100yen bags of stuff that are pretty much the same at occasional super markets. They're kinda rare though. I know Ogino Joy has them.

For the DVDs you can probally amazon them- the UK has the same DVD region as Japan so the British version would work if you absolutely must have no Japanese.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:14:44 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
Pizza La is actually pretty good. Or Costco of course.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

Doesn't it cost £20+ a pizza though?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Donkey!  My Favourite are their Avacado  (or is it called guacamole?) flavour. They also have the salsa (although my personal recipe is SEXIER), and the nuclear yellow cheese. They ever have cheese and nacho box kits, AND taco kits.

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »

-Pepperoni Pizza--like the kind I get on the states (Big crust, real tomato sauce, cheese, and I want to emphasize that thin crust is just not the real deal).   Also,

My favorite place for pizza is Costco. The pizza itself is cheap, but getting to Costco is not, so that probably isn't an option for you just for pizza.
There's a pizza place in Nirasaki called Gracia (or something like that in katakana) in Nirasaki.  I've never been, but a Brazilian friend said they have ok non-Japanese style pizza.  Maybe it's worth a shot.

About tortilla chips, Cook-y in Isawa may have bigger bags (and possibly cheaper) than Kaldi, but I haven't been there in a long time to know for sure.  If you insist on bulk, then (again) Costco is your friend.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:20:48 AM by keeperofalstooth »

Offline devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

Doesn't it cost £20+ a pizza though?

Depends how much pizza you want to eat...Mig and I usually share a large and it comes to around 3000 between us. It's not like we can't afford it, on what we earn! And depends how desperate you are for a pepperoni pizza fix. Pizza La's pepperoni is very good. Although the Jago-McCann residence topping of choice is 1/2 New Spicy Italiana, 1/2 Chicken Teryaki.

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
Thanks everyone...  Hmmm....  Well I guess I have to spend real money if I want real pizza...  Wish there were large ovens in Japan so I could bake my own...  My school made pizza for christmas (why not?) and even then they had to make tons of tiny pizzas because even my school doesn't have large ovens... guess it makes sense since why study to cook what you can't cook at home in home-ec.  So I guess pizza is just for super special events... :)

Tortilla chips sound more doable. 

BTW, I know some of you watch media from America/UK because I see you guys talking about it on facebook... haha! 

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
Actually, as far as Tortialla chips go, Welcia (the pharmacy) usually sells the big Doritos bags of unflavored tortilla chips for about 350 yen (this is the big jumbo sized American bag).  They also sell tostitos salsa in 2-3 different degrees of spiciness (more flavors come around in the summer).

As far as Pizza goes, I'm not sure where the closest Dominoes is, but they have some really good pizza, expensive, but really good.

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
Gman!!!!  I'm going to Welcia!  Right away!  you may just be my hero!

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
As far as Pizza goes, I'm not sure where the closest Dominoes is, but they have some really good pizza, expensive, but really good.

Shizuoka is the nearest Dominoes.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
Gman!!!!  I'm going to Welcia!  Right away!  you may just be my hero!

Good Luck.  They don't get much in though, so if you're not quick, that shit sells out.  I try to go into places whenever they have stocked the shelves and buy up lots of the American food goodies that disappear. 

Also, Lawson's now sells Mountain Dew.  Finding this out was like learning about Santa.  I am gradually going to buy every single bottle in the store over the next few days and horde it all to myself until the summer is over, cus god knows this promotion can't last forever ;P

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Also, Lawson's now sells Mountain Dew.  Finding this out was like learning about Santa.  I am gradually going to buy every single bottle in the store over the next few days and horde it all to myself until the summer is over, cus god knows this promotion can't last forever ;P

For five years I have never not been able to get mountain dew. Just look for the blue pepsi drink machines. They always have mountain dew in them. Ether the tall boys or normal cans.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »
Welcia is the little lady-shop in eclan which has a few imported things right?

I wouldnt get the doritos there, they're super expensive. You can get them in most pharmacies for pretty cheap prices.
Though for cherry cola I love that place.

I didn't know mountani dew was a special thing. I thought it was just some common Japanese drink! It is indeed quite widespread. As is Dr.Pepper, which rules.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
Weclia is a drug store, right?  in Kofu, right?

Extra sharp Cheddar cheese is also on my list = answer is probably going to be Costco...

AND AND AND,  Butterfingers... if anyone can get there fingers on a butterfinger (not my butterfinger) than that finger is the finger of a legend!

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Yeah, Costco for cheap pizza, and Pizza Hut the Tuesday thru Thursday on the week of the 15th each month (so like 12,13,14 or 15,16,17 - whenever the 15th falls in a week, that Tuesday thru Thurdays is half off pick ups).

As far as TV goes, a good TV only torrent site is  http://eztv.it/tvnews/.
Quick torrent DL's and a great selection.  You will find all seasons of all of the shows you mentioned there.

For streaming newer stuff and following current seasons of things try http://www.watchseries-online.eu

For movies http://www.solarmovie.eu

I try to just stream and not to torrent too much because of space, but sometimes if you want to watch older seasons it is the way to go.

Cheddar Cheese can be found in most higher end grocery store - Yamako, IchiYama, Aeon - in a specialty section.  300-500 yennies for a small block, but if thats all you need it will work.  And yes, Costco for the larger and cheaper option. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:14:54 PM by Coleman »

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
Thanks everyone...  Hmmm....  Well I guess I have to spend real money if I want real pizza...  Wish there were large ovens in Japan so I could bake my own...  My school made pizza for christmas (why not?) and even then they had to make tons of tiny pizzas because even my school doesn't have large ovens... guess it makes sense since why study to cook what you can't cook at home in home-ec.  So I guess pizza is just for super special events... :)

Tortilla chips sound more doable. 

BTW, I know some of you watch media from America/UK because I see you guys talking about it on facebook... haha!

My school has perfect pizza ovens in the home-ec room, but I'm not allowed to use them.  I could be making 18" American-style pizzas all the time, but because some past ALT made a mess in there one time, it's off limits.  :x

Also, as for American media, I either:
A. Download torrents.  I've been powering through The Wire recently by downloading seasons at a time.
B. Check sidereel.com for links so I can watch shows online
C. Download Hotspot Shield or some other IP blocker for your computer and watch them on Hulu.

There are many options for Western media.  As far as sharing them with the students, I've occasionally been able to find torrents for movies and then separate Japanese subtitles for them online which I can then show using VLC.  I don't know where my teachers got them, maybe from Amazon, but we have Simpsons seasons 1 and 3 (maybe?) here.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

For five years I have never not been able to get mountain dew. Just look for the blue pepsi drink machines. They always have mountain dew in them. Ether the tall boys or normal cans.

If you happen to live in an area where those drink machines exist, then it's easy, unfortunately, there isn't a single blue pepsi vending machine within 3 miles of my apartment, and I'm not willing to take a train to buy soda...  ;P  When I'm in Tokyo, it's easy enough to get, but once again, only from vending machines, and never in bulk.  Having it at a combini means I can buy bulk and stockpile, which is amazing!!  ;D

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
Mountain dew tastes like 7Up that someone put a cigarette out in...

As far as media goes, I watch it all online. Tsutaya does have some stuff though - Prison break, 24, etc.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Heresy.

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »

Heresy.

Seriously, I think I would rather wring out one of my sweaty shirts and drink that.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
Seriously, I think I would rather wring out one of my sweaty shirts and drink that.

Drinking Mountain Dew makes me feel like a goose that will soon be foie gras.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Yeah, Costco for cheap pizza, and Pizza Hut the Tuesday thru Thursday on the week of the 15th each month (so like 12,13,14 or 15,16,17 - whenever the 15th falls in a week, that Tuesday thru Thurdays is half off pick ups).
That means today is the last day right? :o
Theres my plans for tonight right there!

Where is this costco place? Nearest I can spot with a quick check is Saitama. Which...is inconvenient. I thought that was the big crazy people bulk buying for fear of the end (tm) shop.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:31:12 PM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Thanks Clough and Coleman!   

I over the years stopped downloading things because I am a damn chicken.  I’m not even sure what the risk is these days.  I hear claims that it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not Japanese media.  Also, should I feel morally dirty for downloading stuff?  I remember my Korean contacts (in the states) would often give me stuff they downloaded and it was like a moral filter where I received the good but without the guilt… but being first on the lines is frightening for a paranoid hipster like myself.  Hmmm… tempting! 

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »
Where is this costco place? Nearest I can spot with a quick check is Saitama. Which...is inconvenient. I thought that was the big crazy people bulk buying for fear of the end (tm) shop.

Yeah that's the one, and yeah, that's exactly what it is.  The one and only time I've ever been in Japan, it was insane.  It did in fact look like the end was nigh.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
Wait....is the pizza today?
Or are pizza hut amongst those crazy people who count Sunday as the first day of the week?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
If you don't want to go all the way to Costco.... order online.....
http://www.fbcusa.com/cs/index.php
http://www.theflyingpig.com/tfp/Shop.ASP
http://www.themeatguy.jp/

Pizza...... a large pepperoni from Pizza-La will set you back around 2000 yen.    If that's a bit too pricey, buy one of the refrigerated pizzas at your local supermarket and just add some toppings... You can get frozen pepperoni from one of the sites above and just add it to one of those. Fits fine in my oven range.... and I used to cook them in a toaster oven before I got the range. 

Tortilla chips - Welcia has been mentioned.  Donki and Jupiter also have them.

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
not sure of sharp chedda specifically, but the grocry store in aeon recently started stocking some reasonably priced (for japan) blocks of different kinds of cheese

Offline Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
I over the years stopped downloading things because I am a damn chicken.  I’m not even sure what the risk is these days.  I hear claims that it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not Japanese media.  Also, should I feel morally dirty for downloading stuff?  I remember my Korean contacts (in the states) would often give me stuff they downloaded and it was like a moral filter where I received the good but without the guilt… but being first on the lines is frightening for a paranoid hipster like myself.  Hmmm… tempting!

Do NOT feel morally dirty. I think of it like this: my family just watched the latest episode of 'Modern Family' back home. If I had BEEN there, I would have watched it with them. For free, because we don't individually pay for the TV license.
But I wasn't there. So if I watch it online at home, how is that any different from having watched it at my parents' house? It's not PHYSICALLY possible for me to see this show, so nobody is losing out if I stream it online because I wouldn't have been able to pay for it anyway.
Same with movies. My friend OWNS 'V for Vendetta' but I don't. If I borrowed it from her, that would be fine. But she's not here right now, so I'll just borrow it from the Internet. Same deal.

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »

Do NOT feel morally dirty. I think of it like this: my family just watched the latest episode of 'Modern Family' back home. If I had BEEN there, I would have watched it with them. For free, because we don't individually pay for the TV license.
But I wasn't there. So if I watch it online at home, how is that any different from having watched it at my parents' house? It's not PHYSICALLY possible for me to see this show, so nobody is losing out if I stream it online because I wouldn't have been able to pay for it anyway.
Same with movies. My friend OWNS 'V for Vendetta' but I don't. If I borrowed it from her, that would be fine. But she's not here right now, so I'll just borrow it from the Internet. Same deal.

I like the reasoning...  I have tons of good reasons I used in the day...  If I couldn't use Napster, I wouldn't of discovered the cool music that I later bought albums for.  Very true!  But, if we cheat on life and find shortcuts to make things easier, I fear we might become George Lucas...  He used to be a brilliant man who produced some of the best movies ever!!!  This is partially because it was difficult to make Star Wars and had to work with many many many people to make it come to life (those movies kick some hard ass!)  Then after computer animation came out, he had a short cut to do whatever he wanted without confronting other people.  No one was on set to say "how about this way" or "that's not possible so lets try something more down to Earth" and so he made these movies that made no sense and may go down as some of the worse movies ever.  So, by taking the easy road, we are becoming the Older simple minded Lucas.  haha! 

Nah!  Just messin with you.  I actually think you have a good point ;)