Author Topic: Things of great desire! Pizza, Simpsons, etc...  (Read 5835 times)

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Things of great desire! Pizza, Simpsons, etc...
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Welcia is the little lady-shop in eclan which has a few imported things right?

Weclia is a drug store, right?  in Kofu, right?

Welcia is a drug store chain. I think the shop you're thinking of in Eclan is Minipla

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
Welcia is the little lady-shop in eclan which has a few imported things right?

Weclia is a drug store, right?  in Kofu, right?

Welcia is a drug store chain. I think the shop you're thinking of in Eclan is Minipla

There's a huge one in Isawa about 10 minute walk from the station. They have everything.

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
Things I sorta kinda need but im more likely just bored.

I REALLY need to go to church.  I promised my family I would find one.  So if you guys know a english speaking mass during Sunday.  I'd appreciate some info on how to get there.  I would need costs, transportation info from kushigata, and time of mass and time of last bus going back to kushigata.   Thanks. 

I need a wireless router.

I need to buy a guitar and learn how to play.

I need an english map of yamanashi/kofu

I need an english bus schedule to get around yamanashi during golden week.

I need something to do in Golden Week that will require the words Free Ride, Free transportation, Free stuff and just generally Free.

I hope I don't need to remind everybody that my japanese is piss poor when it comes to speaking and reading.  Yes people like me do exist.

Things I wish for everyday.

A few trillion dollars for me and my friends.

A good girlfriend

Positive People to keep me humble.

and The  Yankees win another World Series please.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »

About the church: it is going to be difficult to find one with English services. I go into Tokyo to St. Alban's Anglican/Episcopal church occasionally, but I am a good deal closer to Tokyo by train than you. And it would likely require you to stay somewhere overnight, which isn't very practical if you're hoping for something more regular (both time and expense wise). There is also this: http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8115.msg155523#msg155523  I've never been since it is Saturday nights and sounds a little progressive for my tastes. Then there is also this list: http://www.jetchristianfellowship.com/churches/index.php?title=Category:Churches_in_Japan (but note that there isn't even a section for Yamanashi.)

Much of the other stuff you may want to post in the items wanted/for sale category...HOWEVER I do know someone with an acoustic guitar they are looking to be rid of (I think it's still available?), and I have a wireless router I got from my predecessor, but I never got it to work.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »

I REALLY need to go to church.  I promised my family I would find one.  So if you guys know a english speaking mass during Sunday.  I'd appreciate some info on how to get there.  I would need costs, transportation info from kushigata, and time of mass and time of last bus going back to kushigata.   Thanks. 

I need a wireless router.

I need to buy a guitar and learn how to play.  Mondaishouten on Alps Dori will have a large selection of used guitars for cheap cheap

I need an english map of yamanashi/kofu I've not seen an English map in my 3 years here, but I'm sure they must exist.  Check with the international center.

I need an english bus schedule to get around yamanashi during golden week. This is an impossibility, I think.  I take buses from time to time to various lessons and schools, but I usually get a rundown of the bus numbers and times from my coworkers or friends.  The schedules are online, but in all Japanese.

I need something to do in Golden Week that will require the words Free Ride, Free transportation, Free stuff and just generally Free. Nothing is free during GW.  Its the time of the year where Japanese people open their wallets and let loose a bit with travel and entertainment.  The best I could say on this would be to hang out in various Yamanashi towns (Kofu, Minobu, Fujiyoshida, Enzan).  Getting there should not be too expensive and just having a walk around to see whats on offer would be good for later in your journey when you have the funds to play a bit.  Also, you could take a train out to Katsunuma and check out the wine country, loads of mountain hikes there thuogh, so be prepared to sweat.

I hope I don't need to remind everybody that my japanese is piss poor when it comes to speaking and reading.  Yes people like me do exist.
Mine just may be worse than yours, that's never an excuse.   
Things I wish for everyday.

A few trillion dollars for me and my friends.

A good girlfriend

Positive People to keep me humble.

and The  Yankees win another World Series please.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:33:03 AM by Yamanashi PA »

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
A map: all you practically need is google earth. Though if you ask at the little tourist information cupboard in the station they have maps.

And busses in Kofu....yes....I dont trust them. Never take them except for the mall or the football stadium. They're....hard. Though again ask in the tourist information or the bus station and I'm sure they have them. Probally in Japanese but its not a big deal, you can figure out what means what or get someone to highlight the important busses for you.

Anyone know where kofu/yamanashi-related postcards may be bought?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:48:44 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

Top floor of Eclan above the station. Big books/magazines/stationary store opposite the Tulley's - you can't miss it. All open plan. They have lots of nice postcards - mostly generic Fuji ones, but that's still Yamanashi.

Also, Gotochi postcards at the post office. I had never heard of them before but they are A BIG FUCKING DEAL to people who care about collecting stuff. Each prefecture sells different gotochi card, unique to that area. Yamanashi ones are grapes, peaches, Fuji, Takeda Shingen and houtou. Personally, I don't think they look that great, but they're special.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:59:30 PM by Iggy »

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

The little International Alcove close to Kofu station. I really dont know what it is called, but it has a lot of tourist information in many different languages, and you  enter it through a small side door, into a small room. They have really cool Postcards of Yamanashi for SUPER cheap. 5 postcards for 100yen!

I found it during the Shingen-Ko Matsuri, and they also gave me and my friend a set of free Yamanashi stickers, too! Maybe me and my friend are just super cute/ poor looking or they had leftovers from the kids table at the festival, lol?

Sorry that I cannot be more specific about the location, I dont live in Kofu  : /

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Messaging error # 1204950.30430
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
I don't think I can come up with anything as challenging as that Jack feller's requests without being sincere, but let me try...  Has anyone heard of Qi Gong classes?  I'm guessing that Qi Gong isn't so popular in Japan, but I could be wrong.

Good question about postcards OxO...  Reminded me I need to send some home about 8 months ago :)

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

There is a catholic church in Fujiyoshida that has mass in English once a month.
There is also what I believe to be a baptist church but not being baptist I know next to nothing about it.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »

The little International Alcove close to Kofu station. I really dont know what it is called, but it has a lot of tourist information in many different languages, and you  enter it through a small side door, into a small room. They have really cool Postcards of Yamanashi for SUPER cheap. 5 postcards for 100yen!

I found it during the Shingen-Ko Matsuri, and they also gave me and my friend a set of free Yamanashi stickers, too! Maybe me and my friend are just super cute/ poor looking or they had leftovers from the kids table at the festival, lol?

Sorry that I cannot be more specific about the location, I dont live in Kofu  : /

close to...not in? not tourist info as nought there....
anyone any idea?
how close is close? what was it near?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

close to...not in? not tourist info as nought there....
anyone any idea?
how close is close? what was it near?

I tried to google map it, but for some reason I cannot do a street view in Kofu, like I can in Fujiyoshida. I just get a picture montage instead of a picture map? Weird.

All I did was walk from the station down the main road (where the bus stops are) and it was on my left.  (less than 5 minute walk)

If I am ever in Kofu again, I will make sure to Google map it for everybody w/ picture.

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Well I finally found Mandai Shoten by walking there from my apartment.

It was a good 2 hour walk but it sure as hell was refreshing.  I got myself a 300 Yen giftbag of ONe Piece Goodies like keychains and buttons so YEAH!

I found a guitar for 12,000 yen and added it to my wishlist.

I also found PS3's to add to my wishlist.  (how hard is it to change it to English?)

Also I was hoping to find a router in Mandai Shoten but couldn't.  Oh well.

Does anybody know the best way to just have wireless data plan on my American Smartphone?  I'd mostly just need it for Maps, Kakaotalk and google voice.

What else........hmmm........i went to the used section of sneakers in Mandai Shoten and.......hmmm first of all ewww....used shoes and they were expensive.  I'd rather buy non brand names from Trial ( besides who am I trying to impress around here?) My japanese is so piss poor that I can barely hit on a japanese girl lol.

But yeah Thanks for all the help so far guys with the church and guitars guys.

I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

I tried to google map it, but for some reason I cannot do a street view in Kofu, like I can in Fujiyoshida. I just get a picture montage instead of a picture map? Weird.

All I did was walk from the station down the main road (where the bus stops are) and it was on my left.  (less than 5 minute walk)

If I am ever in Kofu again, I will make sure to Google map it for everybody w/ picture.
Its OK, I figured it out, its the topmost of those covered shops on the right of the street (heading towards the station).
Apparently its some tourist information office and is where the CIRs work. Never noticed it before!
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
So a few things my buddies at home have requested.  This is actually kind of the opposite of this thread topic, but whatever.

1. A pair of okonomiyaki spatulas (spatuli?).  I found some cheapo ones at L'aza Walk, but does anyone know where I can find some okay to decent ones with a nice wooden handle and all that?  Is this a D2 thing?

2. Corgi related things.  My friend is super into Corgis and she reckons only the Japanese are more into them than she is.  Where can I get some kawaii Corgi paraphernalia?

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
Damn it all to hell!!  I tried to get an IPAD on Softbank but since my gaijin card is only valid for a year they wouldn't let me get one! THey are asking me to buy the IPAD and then sign up for a Softbank plan.  DAMN YOU SOFTBANK!! I want an IPAD!

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
If you give them a CC as collateral they will usually let you pay for it in installments??   Unless they have changed their ways.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
So a few things my buddies at home have requested.  This is actually kind of the opposite of this thread topic, but whatever.

1. A pair of okonomiyaki spatulas (spatuli?).  I found some cheapo ones at L'aza Walk, but does anyone know where I can find some okay to decent ones with a nice wooden handle and all that?  Is this a D2 thing?

2. Corgi related things.  My friend is super into Corgis and she reckons only the Japanese are more into them than she is.  Where can I get some kawaii Corgi paraphernalia?

1: Theres quite a big cooking supply department in the giganto 7-11 at the top end of Showa.

2: In my random exploring I'm pretty sure I saw some corgi-ish stuff towards the top of Okajima.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
If you give them a CC as collateral they will usually let you pay for it in installments??   Unless they have changed their ways.

I think the new way is they charge my credit card for the whole IPAD and I pay monthly data plan on that card.  Which sucks considering I still have to buy the IPAD in full. booooooo