Author Topic: Renting a Scooter  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Renting a Scooter
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
I have a friend who is considering visiting me, and I've invited her to stay with me even though she'll be going into Tokyo everyday. (With a Rail Pass it ends up being worth it to just take the express in for the two hours...with the money it saves on hotel/hostels.)

The issue is, she doesn't want to use me as a taxi to get to and from my house, and it isn't exactly walking distance from the station. She could probably bike, but I am concerned about that as well when it comes to getting in late at night.

I was curious if it is possible to rent a scooter. She doesn't have a motorcycle license or anything, but can you rent a scooter with just a normal drivers license? And if possible, where/how would you do it? Does anyone know a price range?
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline keeperofalstooth

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Renting a Scooter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
I believe you need a motocycle endorsement on your IDP to legally drive a scooter in japan

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
I believe you need a motocycle endorsement on your IDP to legally drive a scooter in japan

Yes, you do.
I have never heard, nor seen anyone rent a scooter in Yamanashi. Scooter hire does exist, especially in Okinawa.
I would say that asking a JTE would be the best way to go. Has your friend ever ridden a scooter.

Personally, I would stay in Tokyo. The money and time saved by not getting a rail pass and not spending 4 hours on the train would be worth it.
Then they can come and spend an entire day in Yamanashi with you.
Surely hostels aren't that expensive in Tokyo?

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
Personally, I would stay in Tokyo. The money and time saved by not getting a rail pass and not spending 4 hours on the train would be worth it.
Then they can come and spend an entire day in Yamanashi with you.
Surely hostels aren't that expensive in Tokyo?

She wants the rail pass because she will likely take multiple shinkansen trips while she is here as well, and saving money rather than time is high on her priority list. The first time I came to Japan I did so with her, and she insisted that we take a day trip (via shinkansen) to Kyoto immediatly followed by a day trip to Osaka, so we spent countless extra hours on the train to save the money of staying one night in Kyoto then just going directly to Osaka. We had a hotel in Tokyo already, so she didn't want to double book. She is also very particular about her arrangements, and is generally not willing to stay somewhere without a private room/bathroom. She has special dietary restrictions as well, and cooking her own food saves her money and possible surprise trips to the emergency room. A single person staying in a room with a private bathroom and a kitchenette runs pretty high.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
It would be much easier for your friend to just get an IDP and rent a car or ask Kotaro if you can work something out for a few days with one of his spare cars.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
Aha... I see. Yeah, those kinda requirements lend themselves to staying at your place.

As for a scooter, I just asked around my staffroom (of 4 people) and no one has ever heard of renting a scooter in Yamanashi. None of the major car companies (nissan, toyota, mazda) do it.

Searching in Japanese, there are some places that do it
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E3%83%90%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kIl&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E3%83%90%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF%E3%80%80%E5%B1%B1%E6%A2%A8&oq=%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E3%83%90%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF%E3%80%80%E5%B1%B1%E6%A2%A8&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=serp.3..0.10846.14431.0.16366.11.11.0.0.0.5.2593.10266.3-1j1j0j1j0j2j2.7.0...0.0.Qu4xT4Ig50E&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1145d38c89823ef2&biw=1280&bih=672

It got really confusing and I would get someone who has the j-skills to go through it.
Before my teacher headed off, he was saying the prices seemed to range from 1800 to 6000 yen a day although we didn't have time to see what engine size they are.

If your friend has a motorbike license and can get the endorsement on an IDP, then I think she can rent something.

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
I think we'll probably play around with the renting a car/talking to Kotaro thing, or else I'll just go ahead and play taxi. The scooter thing seems kinda muri.

But thanks for your help everyone!