Author Topic: Is anyone only starting to learn Japanese now?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
Is anyone only starting to learn Japanese now?
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Just committing properly to Genki 1 now.  Took a while to get started - anyone else in the same boat?  Or want to get in the boat with me?  We could help each other out you know, no strings attached  :wink:

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone only starting to learn Japanese now?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
I'll help you if you buy me dinner!  :-D

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
I'll study with you. 

Offline EliseMesa

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »
me me me!  Im in the same boat!  I dont want to brag or anything but... Im already up to... chapter 3!
いい--ち ゃ ん

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Im just starting to learn Japanese now.  Although, I got through Pimsleur Japanese Level 1 and my japanese is still poor.  I need a motivator to kick my ass and tell me to study everyday not whenever I feel like it lol
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
Brittany once I'm up to a level that isn't completely embarrassing, I'll be taking you up on that.  Gotta crawl before I walk. You're welcome to come over for dinner sometime regardless  :wink:

PM'd you Elise and Jack.  Coleman, ya hablaremos. 

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
Aww don't worry, everyone starts somewhere. Remember, I was your guys' level at one time too  :-D

I've been thinking about getting my old Japanese study stuff shipped to me from the states. I took it in high school and my teacher made all of her own worksheets and stuff. I don't mind making something similar if you guys would like it. In college I used to tutor high school students who were struggling in Japanese as well.

Also since I work at elementary school, I can probably steal and make copies of hiragana/katakana worksheets that the little kids use, and even kanji books when you guys are up to that level.

I don't want you to feel embarrassed, I just want to help you all out if you want and need my help  :lol:

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
I'm all for having some people to study with. I need the moviation to formally study. We should set up one day a week when we meet up and study.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline XxDJCyberLoverxX

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I saw this thread. Where do all of you live?

I go to a free Japanese language class at the Yamanashi Prefectural University (Iida Campus in Kofu) on Sundays. The semester just started (I just finished the 2nd class of the semester). Its free and its meant for foreigners living in Yamanashi.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
Is that the same one that Carlos is going to?

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Hey Daniel - this is Carlos here, I met you on the weekend at the Sunday classes.  I'm going to try and follow the Genki 1 textbook separate to the classes if you're up for it?  If anyone doesn't know, the classes are 1-3pm on Sundays, the details are with the Temporary Resident Card form we got through the post a couple of weeks ago.   Yamanashi Prefectural University, Building A, 6th floor. 

Honestly I didn't intend for this to be about me setting up a large group, I really just wanted a study buddy that was doing Genki 1.  I need a kick up the ass and Genki has a nice structure. 

Ok so I'm just going to shoot out ideas.  If we're going to meet up as a group of 5 or 6 people or more (outside the classes), how about you all PM me your emails?  Get the Genki 1 textbook and workbook (2nd Ed), and we can aim for a pace of around 2 chapters a month.  We can rotate the person "chairing" the group - in other words, the person that keeps the ball rolling, makes a handout or two and basically makes sure the group is sticking to "the plan".  Otherwise we'll just chat.  So most of the work should be done before the class and then the class puts it into practice.   So it's not a lesson plan that's needed, just a practice plan.  Ways for us to test ourselves/each other and nail down what we learned during the week. What do you think? Brittany, you are more than welcome to chair us anytime!

How about two 45 minute blocks of good work separated by a break?   

How about Tuesdays?  6-8pm?  I don't mind chairing the first one, we can start June 5th.  As for location, I don't know.   I wasn't thinking of a large group, as I said, so that's a tricky one.  There's a Saizeriya or Starbucks near Kofu station, there are rooms in the international centre afaik.  Whoever is chairing can decide, as long as it's a suitable location for people coming from different parts of the Nash. 

The classes in the university are also great and overlap a good bit with Genki. 

If people are up for it let me know.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:46:37 AM by Karurosu »

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
How do you sign up to this Sunday class? Just a case of going along?
Not sure I can devote myself to every Sunday but having a look would be good.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

Yeah, you'll need a book that's Y2700.  We ordered ours a couple of weeks ago, so I'm assuming we'll get it this week.  You can show up to check it out, but the classes are progressive, so I'd say showing up whenever you feel like it might make things tricky.  I think they'll be moving us into a new room next week, because it was pretty packed last week. 

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
Do they just have a beginner class, or do they also offer advanced?
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Do they just have a beginner class, or do they also offer advanced?

Yup there are three levels (or four, not sure).

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
quote from carlos:

If anyone doesn't know, the classes are 1-3pm on Sundays,
the details are with the Temporary Resident Card form we got through the post a couple of weeks ago.

Yamanashi Prefectural University, Building A, 6th floor.

Offline XxDJCyberLoverxX

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:40 AM »

Yes, like Carlos said, you just need a book. I'm surprised that a class like this is actually free. One of my students is a faculty member in that university and he recommended it to me.

And to Carlos, the study buddy sounds pretty nice! I'm not studying Genki 1 though (is that the book your class is using?) The teacher in my class, 小林先生, said that we'll be changing books in about a few weeks, so I need to wait and see.

The bad part about my work schedule is that I work Tues - Saturday, and finish at about 9:30pm every day. Gaaah, that leaves only Sundays and Mondays free for me. Keep us updated if people do decide to get together. I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

Offline TiffanyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • ♬♩♫
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
This sounds good! The Fuefuki study group kind of broke up awhile back, and I need to get on the ball with studying for my JLPT.  While I wouldn't be using the Genki books, I could always lend my Japanese 'expertise' and help you guys out in between learning millions of new vocab words. 
明日は明日の風が吹く。

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
quote from carlos:

If anyone doesn't know, the classes are 1-3pm on Sundays,
the details are with the Temporary Resident Card form we got through the post a couple of weeks ago.

Yamanashi Prefectural University, Building A, 6th floor.

You got yours a could of weeks ago? I've heard my supervisor speak of that but have seen nothing of it yet.

This is the university south of the station, towards the river right? Looks like a high school?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
Sorry to bring up a slightly old thread, but would anyone happen to have any further information about this class, like a website link or someone I could e-mail?  I'm currently taking conversation lessons at the Volunteer Center, but would like to study more--and yet, strangely enough, am not self-motivated to study that much more on my own.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
I suppose Carlos would be the best to answer this question. Hopefully he will see it when he logs in next...or you could PM him.

Offline Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 03:42:48 AM »
I suppose Carlos would be the best to answer this question. Hopefully he will see it when he logs in next...or you could PM him.
Cool, thanks very much for the suggestion!

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Hey, I almost missed this! Yeah, the classes are on from 1-3pm, 6th floor of the university.  So when you walk in the entrance, you just go straight ahead into the building (A) at the end of the car park, lift is on your right.  I think they've started again, I might go this Sunday so. There are three different levels - beginners, intermediate and advanced.  Beginners focuses mostly on learning basic dialogues and kana. I'm afraid I have no link or anything, that' pretty much all there is to know. There is a book, but they'll provide you with photocopies until you get it. They'll probably be able to sell you a copy.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
Classes at the Uni and colleges started today, so I expect they might start next Sunday if no-one was there yesterday...I'll check with cindy tonight.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Yes...

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »
Does anyone know if it is cool if you miss one class?  My wife and I just moved here with the new JET group and her parents/ our dog will be in town for that first class on sunday.

Also (if anyone knows), is it okay to start the second term having not taking the first term?

Thanks!

Andy&Emily

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Does anyone know if it is cool if you miss one class?  My wife and I just moved here with the new JET group and her parents/ our dog will be in town for that first class on sunday.

Also (if anyone knows), is it okay to start the second term having not taking the first term?

Thanks!

Andy&Emily

Both are totally fine, it's pretty chilled.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
Has anyone gone to the intermediate or advanced classes?  I am interested in the advance class but not really sure what it is all about...I want an oppurtunity to improve my speaking skills.   My grammar, reading, and kanji skills are already pretty high. 

From what I understand so far, these classes are at the University on Sundays from 1-3 and are free... right?

I treasure my weekends so I don't want to commit to the middle of a Sunday if the class won't help me accomplish any of my goals, so I am interested in hearing what people who have attended think of the class.

thanks for your help!

I did a little research on my own and found this site.... the name of the classes suggest that the upper classes focus on Kanji... again anyone have information about this?

Here is the link about the courses
http://moodle.yamanashi-ken.ac.jp/~ucre/nc/htdocs/index.php?page_id=136

Classes start October 14 and continue until Jan 27   (10/14, 10/21, 10/28, 11/11, 11/18, 12/2, 12/9, 12/16, 1/20, 1/27  -- 10 classes total)

hmm....kanji focus? That seems a bit daft as a focus for a class that being the easiest thign to study alone.
I shall have to investigate the intermediate ones- I'd rather pop into something too hard and try and struggle to learn something than take something too easy, what with it not being a actual class that I have to pass.

So its just something you pop into without having to register? And the big north of the station uni right?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:48:35 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで