Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 2980 times)

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Car Insurance
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
So I was told by my Supervisor that the insurance I bought last year (at his suggestion) is really not very good. This is the secondary insurance, and he got me the 'teacher's deal' that was about 3.5 man. He has however now explained that this is really not good enough to help if I get in a serious accident, and I think it's just because they don't have English customer service or something.

He's come up with a few more suggestions, the first being the JA plan that is twice as much as what I paid last time, then some other plan that is 3 times as much. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I quit the teacher's plan and go with one of these? Does anyone have a company that they use and like that is a decent price for decent service? I also have a feeling that whatever I choose is what all of the new incoming Fuefuki BOE people with cars will end up with.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
I got stuck with JA as my sister in-law and her husband work for them.
I don't remember how much it is, but I remember I thought it was expensive for how little they actually covered.
I doubt they'll have English customer service, I had to get my wife to translate everything.

I was hit by a woman almost 2 years ago and was mostly covered (I had to pay 20%, even though she admitted it was 100% her fault. but that's a long story, i won't go into it).
From what I've been told most Japanese car insurance won't cover things like if you hit a deer, or slide on an icy road into a pole.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
I actually just got insurance yesterday, and it was about triple from what you paid last year.

You probably just got the equivalent of liability insurance so if you hit someone, they'll be covered and you have to pay out of pocket for your own damages.

I got a lot of things covered, I chose not to pay for the coverage if I slide out on ice and hit a pole(don't know why) but things are covered like natural disasters, basically a bunch of random shiz they threw together in their plan. There's many plans to choose from and there's a lot of companies around so depending on where you live there's probably a place close where you can just go in and talk to them.  :-D

good luck!
B

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »
My "Ice Crash" was not covered... They were gracious enough to pay the 2 man to crush the car though. 

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
Yeah, most of the people I know with car insurance here actually DON'T have their own cars covered...
My car insurance is pretty damn expensive in comparison to others, mostly due to the fact I'm under 26 but still, no coverage for my own car in any event. 
I have "English support" but in reality, they never actually give me someone who speaks English.  I took the lowest quote from one of the English support insurance websites. 

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
The 3.5man a year deal is a group insurance involving a number of city halls around the country. With so many people, (As far as I know), the price never changes even if you have an accident, irrespective of age, experience and the value of car that you drive. Hence,  it is much cheaper than your open market insurance. I have also heard that the coverage is not as good as the open market. I guess you get what you pay for.

On the open market, for someone of your age, driving a white plate and never having insurance, the cost of insurance has generally been around the 10man mark per year. I don't know what the 3.5man coverage gives you, but you'll have to compare and contrast.

Both Lozz, Coleman and Brian are right. Most people get the equivalent of liability insurance which covers the person you hit. The theory being that the other person also has liability insurance and covers your costs. It is possible to get insurance to cover your own car but the additional cost compared to the cost of our cars makes it an expensive option. It sucks in cases like coleman's.

For getting comparisons, you can ask around your school and find out the insurance companies that they use. I changed from the city hall insurance to open market after my third year and at that time, the companies would send a sales rep to meet you and go through the form and options with you. My JTE helped me with this.

I ended up going with www.japaninsurance.net.
They provide excellent English service, both on the phone and through e-mails. Even all the insurance forms are in English.

However, they may not be the cheapest. They ended up being the cheapest for me because they were the only company who recognised the city hall insurance as valid insurance and gave me a significant 3 years no claims discount based upon that. The other companies treated me as a new driver and no discount.

cherello

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
  • meep...?
    • View Profile
    • 私が描いた絵
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Seeking advice!!!

I'm getting a car because I need one to get to one of my schools, and my supervisor insists that I need voluntary insurance. I just got a quote from japaninsurance.net, and the cheapest of the three plans they offered me is over 11man (is insurance supposed to cost MORE than your car?!). I think my supervisor recommended JA, but I can't seem to find information about them online...

Anyways, does anyone have any other companies they recommend that might be cheaper? Or am I pretty much screwed by being young?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
I have heard some people go to Sony Sompo I think.

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
I got my insurance online with American Home (I think that was the name of the company) ---anyhow, it was just something like 25,000円...
Mind you, that just covers the basics. 
Also, I have a gold licence and drive a yellow plate...  but yellow plates are awesome ---my car tax is only about 4,000円