Author Topic: Dog Lovers  (Read 7609 times)

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Dog Lovers
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:58:57 PM »
Hello all!

My wife and I are moving to Yamanashi (Hokuto HS) here in about a month.  We have spent the last 6 months getting all of the shots and paperwork in order to bring her over (that way you can bypass the 180 day quarantine period) in late September.  Does anyone here in the forums have a dog in their apt?  If so, where do you currently live and do they have a dog policy?  If you don't, do you know if your apt's allow animals? 

Thanks!

-Andy and Emily

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Lovers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
If you are going to be in Hokuto HS, then aren't you taking over from Matt Clough? If so, his current apartment will be big enough for both of you and your dog. You should really ask him/his supervisor about the pet situation.
If you are moving apartment, then you need to get in contact with your supervisor or the PA.

As for dogs in apartments, it really depends on each landlord to be honest. I know of people who have had cats but never a dog. I personally have never had a pet and so can't add much more than that.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
Hello all!

My wife and I are moving to Yamanashi (Hokuto HS) here in about a month.  We have spent the last 6 months getting all of the shots and paperwork in order to bring her over (that way you can bypass the 180 day quarantine period) in late September.  Does anyone here in the forums have a dog in their apt?  If so, where do you currently live and do they have a dog policy?  If you don't, do you know if your apt's allow animals? 

Thanks!

-Andy and Emily

BAHAHA, just reading the first two sentences, it makes it seem as if you are getting shots for your wife, not a dog.

Anyway, you REALLY need to ask Matt about this. He can probably ask his supervisor.  I hate to discourage you, but I don't think that that apartment allows pets.  If you don't want to leave your pet behind, then you probably won't be able to move into the same apartment.  It's worth having someone check into it quickly, though.
As Fred says, all landlords are different.  Some apartments allows dogs but I can imagine they are pickier about breeds, size, etc than apartments back in the states. 
You can certainly ask to move into a place that allows them, though.  I'm sure there are probably some in the area, but you would probably have a small selection.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:50 AM »
Dress it up in western clothes and tell the landlord its your kid. If he/she acts at all doubtful you can get REALLY MAD and be all like "WELL JUST BECAUSE OUR FOREIGN CHILDREN LOOK DIFFERENT FROM YOU DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CALL MY SON A DOG!!!" and get him to apologize. This also serves the secondary motive of dressing your dog up like a person, which will be hilarious and adorable.

or you can do like Fred and karta have said already, since they make sense, but those answers are BORING and involve fewer dressed up dogs.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Whats the breed and age.  Matt says that the apartments do not allow pets, but if shes old and set in her ways they might if we ask really nicely.  If she's 1 year old and 200 lbs you might be in trouble...

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
Dress it up in western clothes and tell the landlord its your kid. If he/she acts at all doubtful you can get REALLY MAD and be all like "WELL JUST BECAUSE OUR FOREIGN CHILDREN LOOK DIFFERENT FROM YOU DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CALL MY SON A DOG!!!" and get him to apologize. This also serves the secondary motive of dressing your dog up like a person, which will be hilarious and adorable.

or you can do like Fred and karta have said already, since they make sense, but those answers are BORING and involve fewer dressed up dogs.

karma!

Yeah, dogs aren't allowed here.  I've only ever met the landlord once and that was to sign the lease, but she seemed cool enough.  Like I said though, email Emily's supervisor Taeko and she can talk to the landlord for you.  Didn't you say the dog had lots of training?  Email her the papers or something.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Bringing a dog to Japan.....wow.....thats....blimey....

I think it probally depends on the caretaker. I'm pretty sure my place doesn't allow pets but I know one of the old women living here has a little dog. What the company's standard wordy contract says and what the guy who works at the building thinks are different things.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

Why is this "wow.....thats....blimey...."

I think its kinda rude to make someone feel like its surprising to others (I'm taking a shot in the dark at the meaning of blimey here, correct me if I am wrong) that they would consider bringing their pet to Japan or that in some way they are abnormal for wanting to bring their pet along.  They are a grown-ass couple that has every right to make their own decisions without needing to here someone's opinion that doesn't think they, themselves, would be able to handle it.  They are a married couple with a dog...  It doesn't sound strange to me? 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:35:36 PM by Coleman »

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
I am currently in the process of psychologically abusing talking my boyfriend into buying a dog, since he's on the look for a new apartment. Every time he shows me the flyer, I just ask if it's okay for pets. Money is no object.

Unfortunately, apartments that allow pets are few and far between. The ones that do are generally in pretty poor condition to begin with.
The exception to this is that some houses will usually allow pets. Therefore, if you're dead set on bringing your pooch over, I'd tell your supervisor at your school that it is priority #1 and if the apartment you're moving into says no, then you'd appreciate it if they could assist in finding you a new one, probably a small bungalow, even if it's a distance from town. The chances of you having to pay "Key Money" for this are going to go way up and your school may be upset that you've alienated a business contact but they'll get over it.

I know nothing of the Hokuto area, but the more rural you go the more likelihood it is of being approved for a dog. Good luck - it would suck to have spent all that on your dog only to find that it's impossible.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »
There are plenty of dog owners in Japan, this shouldn't be a problem at all... And if it is a problem it shouldn't be the new couples problem, it will inevitably fall on the school to do some researching.

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »

I think its kinda rude to make someone feel like its surprising to others (I'm taking a shot in the dark at the meaning of blimey here, correct me if I am wrong) that they would consider bringing their pet to Japan or that in some way they are abnormal for wanting to bring their pet along.  They are a grown-ass couple that has every right to make their own decisions without needing to here someone's opinion that doesn't think they, themselves, would be able to handle it.  They are a married couple with a dog...  It doesn't sound strange to me?

I think "blimey" in this context is more of a "wow, that's going to be a toughie" sort of connotation, or at least I hope it was.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

I think "blimey" in this context is more of a "wow, that's going to be a toughie" sort of connotation, or at least I hope it was.

Shouldn't be too much of a mind-fuck.  They have obviously looked into the quarantine laws and are preparing for the move. 

Offline K-Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
There are NO dogs allowed in my apartment complex (on paper), the 3 that live here sure are happy and happen to be owned by the landlord himself(this is a private board right?). However the school may possibly pressure you to NOT bring the dog, because they would not want the hassle of trying to find you a dog friendly place.
Something to consider would be getting fido shipped over a month or so after you come so that you can brib the landlord with compliments, gifts, and your dashing goodlooks get to personally get to know the landlord and explain your situation. If you find yourself needing a new place to live, being able to see potential new homes in person is a good option for a place you will be probably paying key money for and staying for a long time in.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »
There are NO dogs allowed in my apartment complex (on paper), the 3 that live here sure are happy and happen to be owned by the landlord himself(this is a private board right?). However the school may possibly pressure you to NOT bring the dog, because they would not want the hassle of trying to find you a dog friendly place.
Something to consider would be getting fido shipped over a month or so after you come so that you can brib the landlord with compliments, gifts, and your dashing goodlooks get to personally get to know the landlord and explain your situation. If you find yourself needing a new place to live, being able to see potential new homes in person is a good option for a place you will be probably paying key money for and staying for a long time in.

I would see this as asking them to leave a child behind.  Obviously that is being a bit dramatic, but the program spends countless amounts of tax payers yen to fund mental health seminars and provide the PA job and whatnot so if bringing a pet will help ease the transition and keep the family they have going feeling as a unit then I'll fight for them...

BTW... I'm pro-puppy

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
Our dog is a 25 pound welsh corgi and is a little over a year old.  We've had her in obedience training for about half of her life and she is an awesome dog, I'm sure all the JET's would lover our little pupster.  Our situation is a bit different than other JET's because I will have time to look after her so she won't have to sit in a kennel all day during school.  We have a little time before we can bring her over because of airline regulations related to temperature during travel so I wanted to put out the feelers to see if other folks had a dog in the NASH.

Matt - Sending the certificates is a good idea.  We will have to add it to the next email.     

Croninokehige - I like it.  We shall call it, plan B. 

karta - What makes you think I wasn't talking about my wife?

Coleman - Thanks for the vote of support!  We are used to having to do things the hard way, but I did want to check with folks in the forum to see if anyone has gone through something similar to us. 

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
You should have mentioned it's a corgi first.

you're very fortunate that the corgi is probably the most beloved beast in all of Japan. Your chances look good.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »
The Japanese ALT supervisor will visit your school tomorrow and talk to them about accommodating you.  His response to the situation was that if "it is legal to bring the dog and legal to own the dog" then the program will not ask you not to bring the dog along with you.  Strange double negative sentence, sorry...

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »

Yeah, more of a "wow".
Tough and certainly out of the ordinary for Jets but awesome.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:30:36 PM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
The Japanese ALT supervisor will visit your school tomorrow and talk to them about accommodating you.  His response to the situation was that if "it is legal to bring the dog and legal to own the dog" then the program will not ask you not to bring the dog along with you.  Strange double negative sentence, sorry...

My brother spend three years with the Air Force living in northern Japan and saw Americans bring dogs over all the time.  As for the GIH 2012, it recommends that you not bring your dogs and if my wife was single, I would agree.  We aren't taking our dog over with us for a few months (part of the whole import process) so we bypass the orientation hotel problem and my in-laws will be bringing them when they visit in october.  I know of JET's that buy dogs while in Japan and don't have to deal with the cost and hassle of the import process and the program didn't give them the boot.  There is nothing said about it being forbidden, just frowned upon.  We certainly don't want to be a pain for anyone but our doggie is coming with us regardless of said frown.

It would be awesome to live in a house or even Matt's large apartment.  We trust it will all work out somehow, someway :)

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

My brother spend three years with the Air Force living in northern Japan and saw Americans bring dogs over all the time.  As for the GIH 2012, it recommends that you not bring your dogs and if my wife was single, I would agree.  We aren't taking our dog over with us for a few months (part of the whole import process) so we bypass the orientation hotel problem and my in-laws will be bringing them when they visit in october.  I know of JET's that buy dogs while in Japan and don't have to deal with the cost and hassle of the import process and the program didn't give them the boot.  There is nothing said about it being forbidden, just frowned upon.  We certainly don't want to be a pain for anyone but our doggie is coming with us regardless of said frown.

It would be awesome to live in a house or even Matt's large apartment.  We trust it will all work out somehow, someway :)

No one is going to boot you from the program for keeping a dog, your wife will have the job whether you bring the dog or not.
You just might have to change your housing.  I would honestly bet that you'll have to change your housing, though.  The apartments are fairly new and have all hardwood floors.  Japanese landlords being as picky as they are sometimes, I doubt that apartment is going to work with you on it.  That doesn't mean that you can't find a place that WILL work with you, it just might not be an ideal location. 
There are quite a few people renting out houses around here so there's a good chance your supervisor could look for a house, even.  You might end up getting a better deal rent-wise anyway.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

No one is going to boot you from the program for keeping a dog, your wife will have the job whether you bring the dog or not.
You just might have to change your housing.  I would honestly bet that you'll have to change your housing, though.  The apartments are fairly new and have all hardwood floors.  Japanese landlords being as picky as they are sometimes, I doubt that apartment is going to work with you on it.  That doesn't mean that you can't find a place that WILL work with you, it just might not be an ideal location. 
There are quite a few people renting out houses around here so there's a good chance your supervisor could look for a house, even.  You might end up getting a better deal rent-wise anyway.

I was thinking the same thing Karta... Rentwise...

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
Our dog is a 25 pound welsh corgi and is a little over a year old.  We've had her in obedience training for about half of her life and she is an awesome dog

While im looking forward to meeting you two and all that friendly pre-arrival jazz, I just want you to know that your dog is definitely the newbie I am #1 most looking forward to, and not to take it personally. And also if you ever need someone to come have a playdate with your puppy to let me know. What's her name??

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
Our dog is a 25 pound welsh corgi and is a little over a year old.  We've had her in obedience training for about half of her life and she is an awesome dog

While im looking forward to meeting you two and all that friendly pre-arrival jazz, I just want you to know that your dog is definitely the newbie I am #1 most looking forward to, and not to take it personally. And also if you ever need someone to come have a playdate with your puppy to let me know. What's her name??

:-D
Ditto.
Hope it'll be at the welcome party.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
Sadly, he said she won't be coming over until the in-laws visit a few months after they arrive. Which makes sense and all, gives them a chance to get settled in and get prepared for her, but I'm sure it'll suck to be without her until then. I'm just hoping that she can make it to, say, the Shosenkyo walk and we can all meet her by then.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
I am currently in the process of psychologically abusing talking my boyfriend into buying a dog, since he's on the look for a new apartment. Every time he shows me the flyer, I just ask if it's okay for pets. Money is no object.

Unfortunately, apartments that allow pets are few and far between. The ones that do are generally in pretty poor condition to begin with.
The exception to this is that some houses will usually allow pets. Therefore, if you're dead set on bringing your pooch over, I'd tell your supervisor at your school that it is priority #1 and if the apartment you're moving into says no, then you'd appreciate it if they could assist in finding you a new one, probably a small bungalow, even if it's a distance from town. The chances of you having to pay "Key Money" for this are going to go way up and your school may be upset that you've alienated a business contact but they'll get over it.

I know nothing of the Hokuto area, but the more rural you go the more likelihood it is of being approved for a dog. Good luck - it would suck to have spent all that on your dog only to find that it's impossible.

there are some great small houses near Kofu station....
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Need some advise y'all.

How do I post up a pic from my computer in the forums?  I wanted to show everyone our little doggie :)

The pic's are on my computer and on Facebook but when I use the "insert image" it doesn't seem to be linking properly.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
1. If you want it as an attached file, hit the attachments and other options and upload it as an attachement.

2. If you are hosting it from a website, then put the URL inbetween the [xxx][/xxx] tags.
For example [xxx]http://www.londonnet.co.uk/files/images/sightseeing/big-ben.jpg[/xxx]

where xxx is img.

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
Took a few fun pics of the puppster for y'all.

Pardon the goofy smile.

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
OMG  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
I think an "introduce Brisby to YETI" event is in order as soon as you arrive.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.