Author Topic: Kofu gyms  (Read 1934 times)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Kofu gyms
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
I'm sure I've asked this before but can't see it anywhere...oh well. No harm.

I went to blue earth the other day to investigate it. It seems alrightish, though not too many machines and rather pricey. Something like 7000 yen a month iirc (horrific).
Does anyone know the costs and situation with other gyms in Kofu? Anyone been to a few and has a solid idea of what is best?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Kofu gyms
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
There's a gym at kose sports park. It has plenty of machines and freeweights and is quite cheap.
I havent been in years so I can't remember exactly what it costs, but from memory it was about ï¿¥500 for the first visit and to register, and about ï¿¥300 for visits after that.

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
There's a gym at kose sports park. It has plenty of machines and freeweights and is quite cheap.
I havent been in years so I can't remember exactly what it costs, but from memory it was about ï¿¥500 for the first visit and to register, and about ï¿¥300 for visits after that.

Oh wow that is pretty good and close to me. They don't have a pool too, do they?
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
they have an outdoor pool at Kose, but it's more for summer relaxing.  Kids and pee and all that.

About 3-5 blocks further west of Kose is the Kofu Recycling center that has a pool (heated in the winter by all the power provided by our refuse!) 

There is a great pool at the Tatomi City Center 田富市センターwhich is 300 yen and includes some extras like exercise room and relaxation center , I believe.   This is near the Koikawa station and there is a bus which goes there as well.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
There's also Nakadate, a pool/gym on Heiwa dori. I don't know the details on prices/equipment but a I know a few people on here have been there

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
Kose sounds good though its a bit far for me. Anywhere east of the Minobu line and I'm getting into 'grand expedition' territory. :-p

Anyone know the dealy with the one near the city centre, up the little side-river towards the international centre area? I hear there's another one or two in the central Kofu area too.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
There's also Nakadate, a pool/gym on Heiwa dori. I don't know the details on prices/equipment but a I know a few people on here have been there

night only is 6,000 yen a month

Kose sounds good though its a bit far for me. Anywhere east of the Minobu line and I'm getting into 'grand expedition' territory. :-p

Anyone know the dealy with the one near the city centre, up the little side-river towards the international centre area? I hear there's another one or two in the central Kofu area too.

I believe you're talking about HOLIDAY... which is about the same price as Nakadate I think but you have a more limited time to choose from. For example, only working out 6-9 or 9-12.
B

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
Ah right, I heard of that with Blue Earth too, there's apparently a cheaper membership but you can only go after 9 and not on weekends and....some other restrictions.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »
I have a Night Membership from Holiday which is from 9-12, Mon-Thur + Sat and Sun... Having Friday as their "off" day is pretty stupid, in my opinion.

It's about 4800-5000 a month for a night only / day only membership, but you purchase 2 months up front plus a registration fee of like 3000 yen. In total it cost me around 15,000 to get a membership for 2 months. It's tricky. but every month after that, you'll be paying peanuts.

Pro
I do love their classes, cause they're good cardio on my "off" days (fuck ya'll, Zumba's the shit)
Their onsen/bath is pretty nice.
If you're a longtime member of Holiday, it does end up being the cheaper option.
It's within walking distance

Con
No tattoos
**The free weights are a disgrace. I think they go up to like, 10 or 11kg dumbbells and they have no barbells.
the services at the gym aren't conducive to my long term goals.

Holiday is flooded with old people. There's a few young people, a few more muscle-builders, and some fitties, but I'd say about 80% of the population is there for cardio/to lose weight, for the pool, or the dance classes. If you want to run on a treadmill, use an elliptical or spin, I'd say it's a good gym. If you want to pump iron, then I'd look into other options.
My long term goals require a lot more weight training than what they offer but it's fine for now. For you, Craig, I would probably say Holiday or Blue Earth are your best bet. Eventually I'd like to find my way to Kose, but from what I've heard it's very machismo and I hate that.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
hmm, sounds pretty similar to Blue Earth then.
5000 a month and only certain times....hmm......

I'm not too bothered about free weights, even the absolute ideal body image for me (...which I'm a long way off...) is not to be beefy and super muscled. Plus I'll be doing it mostly alone so...yeah.
The various different weight machines however are certainly something I need.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
i actually just do most of my work outs at home these days... could be good for you.

I need to add a chin-up bar but at my house i have a

swiss ball
kettle bells

that's it! Just incorporated body weight squats and different styles of push-ups and I feel stronger than when I went to the gym. But I do try and go to mix things up every once in a while over at Kose..
B

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
The trouble is home is where my computer is. My willpower sucks.  :-P/ :oops:
The same goes for Japanese studying too, I'm trying to get myself out of the house more so I can get something done on that too.

But anyway. It's looking like Blue Earth. hmmdy hmmdy hmmda.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
How much is the night time only option for blue earth sports club again? 
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.