Author Topic: Teaching Body Language/Gestures  (Read 1128 times)

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Teaching Body Language/Gestures
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
Hello, fellow Yetis!

So, I've just started teaching and have been toying with the idea of doing a lesson on body language and the differences in gestures across cultures (ex: Japanese point to their face when talking about themself, Westerners point at their chest, etc.). I could really easily get up and just do a lecture on the topic, but I want the students to speak as much as possible in class, and I can't think of how to make it fun for them.

I found a short. fun video online that a teacher in Korea made about gestures that I want to show to the class, but I haven't been able to think of anything fun to do aside from that. I'd appreciate any ideas people have.

FYI: I teach freshman high school oral communication.
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Body Language/Gestures
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
Hey, I think that the gestures class sounds like a fantastic idea! Did a similar last year when I was teaching at Kofu Showa SHS.

What we did, though I do think the lesson has room for improvement, was to make a worksheet on which a variety of gestures, and instructions on how to make them, were written out in simple English. We handed these out to the students, broke them into groups of 3 or 4, and then had them try and figure out what each gesture meant (some were those used only used in Japan, some only back home, and some used in both but with different meanings) by reading the English explanations and try to move their hands/bodies accordingly. After giving them some time to try and figure out the gestures, we asked the groups for their meanings and, if they didn't know, informed them. Lastly, we assigned each group a gesture or two (you can also feel free to have them choose for themselves if you think that would work better), and then had them make skits (of course, all in English) in which the gestures were used.

Hope this is helpful. I don't know that I have the handouts anymore, but if you need any additional clarification please ask!  :-)

Jeremy

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Body Language/Gestures
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
Hello, fellow Yetis!

So, I've just started teaching and have been toying with the idea of doing a lesson on body language and the differences in gestures across cultures (ex: Japanese point to their face when talking about themself, Westerners point at their chest, etc.). I could really easily get up and just do a lecture on the topic, but I want the students to speak as much as possible in class, and I can't think of how to make it fun for them.

I found a short. fun video online that a teacher in Korea made about gestures that I want to show to the class, but I haven't been able to think of anything fun to do aside from that. I'd appreciate any ideas people have.

FYI: I teach freshman high school oral communication.

make sure that your lessons are not only culturally insightful, but also that you use a target language or grammar point.

Perhaps this lesson could be "What does this mean"  "meanings"  or the like.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.