Author Topic: JLPT DECEMBER 2 SUNDAY  (Read 11504 times)

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
JLPT DECEMBER 2 SUNDAY
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:32:34 AM »
Registration is open until the 3rd of October!  Send your apps this week-end (I know you lot get paid soon!)

Application period: September 3 (Mon) - October 3 (Wed), 2012 (-17:00)

http://info.jees-jlpt.jp/info/testguide2.html

Good Luck!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: JLPT DECEMBER 2 SUNDAY
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Thought about testing yourself?

(sorry if someone already posted this or another thread is used for this purpose)

Japanese Language Proficiency Test

The JLPT's annual 2nd test will be held at a location TBD on Dec. 2nd of this year. That gives the slackers roughly 2.5 months worth of study! Especially for low, or intermediate level speakers, 2.5 months is adequate time to beef up your repertoire of kanji and grammar and give the test your best shot. Even going for level 4 or 5 is nothing to be shy about and is something you should be proud of, especially if you're going home after this year and want a little something more to show for it. For those people who are planning on staying longer as well, just taking the test, irregardless of pass or fail is great practice for the next one (held twice a year; July and December).

From what I understand, the process has been made much simpler than in the past for registration. You may still process your application by mail, however you can register for the JLPT online by following the instructions on this site:
http://info.jees-jlpt.jp/info/testguide2.html

Basically you just have to make an online account and check back on the right dates and make sure to select a payment method (including combini, wire transfer and credit card). Keep in mind, the deadline for application in Oct. 3rd, which is roughly only 2 weeks +1 day from today (Sept. 18th) so if you want to try for it this winter you betta collect yaself. Last year there was a crisis of applications in Yamanashi as all the bookstores had run out, giving many people a great excuse not to bother. However, with the process now made fully online and accessible, Sobember and the colder months coming up, I encourage a lot more people to give it a shot. Let's challenge each other as friends and colleagues.

Study Groups

I've never taken the test before, so I don't know if previous study groups had been successful, but it's something people should get organized about now. For people with low level Japanese, with group study and some motivation it's totally possible (in my opinion) to give 5 a shot. If not for the Japanese you get from it, then for the study and motivational training you would learn.

You can post in here to look for friends to help study with and organize locations.

I'm going to go for N3 this winter and pray for the best. If anyone else is tempted by the 3, or even the 2, I'd be more than interested in a study partner or group to meet at a cafe - there's a super nice, cozy, pseudo-organic place on Heiwa with sofas and tables on the second level. I'm free in the evenings and weekends to meet in Kofu (don't have a car). 

Deadline is approaching, so something to keep in mind! Personally, I'd love it if everyone tried for it just to increase the competitive edge.
Good luck to everyone who tries!

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
usually people discuss the JLPT on the Learning Japanese board, not on the General Discussion one. Your girl Kelly already has you covered- http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8598.msg169086#new

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
With that, I will move this thread and merge it with Kelly's.

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
I'll probably be going for N5, and would be happy to meet with study partners if anyone is doing the same.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Bump!

Coleman! I think you should try for Level 4! Do it!
Brian! Let's studying 3 or 2!
Carlos! Go for the 5!
Kelly! - Let's studying 3 or 2!
Everyone! Let's studying!

I live in downtown Kofu, but my work schedule eliminates my social life in large part. If anyone wants to meet in Kofu or within a short minute train ride of Kofu to study I am free during the week between 8:15-10:00pm and practically anytime most weekends (except Saturday evening, unless it's at a bar). My partner also is studying English hard, so anyone wanting to study Japanese with me/us gets the benefit of having a native-language tutor for the mere cost of helping out with some English! I mostly just teach him how to curse, gossip and use shady expressions and figures of speech.

Lets's studying! 

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »
Josiah, I'll be studying for 2 , I think.  I did well on practice tests, soooo...shall we study together?

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
I laminated all of the cards so that they can be taken into onsen ^_^... I LOVE ONSEN!)

This is genius.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Lisa - Sounds groovy! Give me a bit more time to streamline my studies. I'm the complete opposite of how you've described yourself - I'm very easy-come-easy-go and one of the most disorganized people I've ever met  (which is why I've technically studied Japanese for 7 years and am still on grade 1-2 kanji). I think I need another week or so to make sure all of my ducks are in a row, not just for studying but for a multitude of things. Otherwise, that sounds fantastic and I'm open to meet whenever you are, except for Friday night's.
That leaves Tuesday or Thursday during the week or the weekend and you can pick the place.

Kelly - I'd like to elect you to be my study-and-beers partner. Try and make a few Hops-and-Herbs afternoons on Sundays over the next couple months? 8 Cafe?

buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
I wanna study with you guys!

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
Sounds awesome possum.
I'd like to practice at crazy 8 or Hops.  Around 6:30?  We can study for an hour or two and then I can take off for to swim. :-P

EDIT

oops, I thought we would be practicing daily.

Sure Sundays are fine!  Drop me a line , anytime on Sunday should be OK.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
Sounds awesome possum.
I'd like to practice at crazy 8 or Hops.  Around 6:30?  We can study for an hour or two and then I can take off for to swim. :-P

EDIT

oops, I thought we would be practicing daily.

Sure Sundays are fine!  Drop me a line , anytime on Sunday should be OK.

in November I'll probably be doing hardcore study sessions during the week. But I don't get home from work until 8:15 Monday-Friday, so perhaps after your swim?

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
Sure, Tuesday and thurdsday are not good for me (that may be Monday and THursday cause I have lessons) other than that, I'm open and can move my swims around.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
I was thinking about taking it this winter...

Josiah and Kelly...you're going for 2??? I don't think I have the kanji skills but I'm down to give it a try. Does the payment have to be in by 10/3??? Shaken on my car just fried my life  :cry:
B

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
Going to try and pass the 2 would be a complete and utter waste of time and money. The 3 seems feasible, but still daunting.
Progess has slowed on the study front, but I'm travelling next week and I'll have a lot of downtime to catch up.

Can anyone brainstorm a spot in Kofu in the middle of the week to meet up? Personally, I'd prefer somewhere where I could either smoke, or there's a smoking area. I don't really like studying at Starbucks... I find the atmosphere troubling.

There is the option of having a random study session on my balcony... in the cooler months of October and Dec it's pretty nice to sit out there. Not huge, but there's space for 5 people at least.

On kind of personal / related note, I know a lot more kanji than I thought I did. Karen left me some cards she never used and they cover from the most basic to the most advanced elementary kanji. I whipped through them figuring I wouldn't know that many (maybe like 50 or something, if that) but I knew at least 150 very well and another 200 or so I could catch with the prompting and reading the compounds or would be able to understand it in context. It's still extremely basic, but if I need to know about 650 kanji to be well prepped for the N3, then I don't feel as bad off as I did when I first started prepping.

Lisa, your estimates seem kind of low. I mean, you passed and your Japanese is probably a lot better than mine, but most places I've looked have had a suggested requirement graph that looked something like this
http://www.scribd.com/doc/94513016/JLPT-N3-Test-Kanji-content-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E8%83%BD%E5%8A%9B%E8%A9%A6%E9%A8%93-N3

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
Josiah, we can practice at Jonathans...they also have a drink bar!!  250 unlimited!

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
Josiah, we can practice at Jonathans...they also have a drink bar!!  250 unlimited!

I already eat at Johnothan's at least once a week so that sounds fantaaaarrrrschtick.

Too bad Saizeriya closes at 7:30 cause they have glass wine for 100 yen a glass. It's unbelievable. I got off work yesterday for the first time in a couple months around 5:00 and went straight there to finish my book. 3 hours later I was waaaaaasted and my whole bill (with food) came to like, 950 yen, lol.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

I already eat at Johnothan's at least once a week so that sounds fantaaaarrrrschtick.

Too bad Saizeriya closes at 7:30 cause they have glass wine for 100 yen a glass. It's unbelievable. I got off work yesterday for the first time in a couple months around 5:00 and went straight there to finish my book. 3 hours later I was waaaaaasted and my whole bill (with food) came to like, 950 yen, lol.

Done and Done.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
bump

don't forget to register!  You can pay through a convenience store!  create an account on the JLPT website (rather easy) and get 'er done!

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
Eek, I almost forgot to register!

Just how much more difficult is the N4 than the N5, does anyone know?  I'm pretty sure that I could pass the N5 pretty easily at this rate, and I think I might buckle down and study more if I challenge myself with the N4...

Edit:  Or is it even worth the price until the N3 - N2 levels?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:57:49 AM by mike »

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
I'd take the test, and go for N4.  Pushing yourself to study and acquire a new skill will never go unrewarded. 

deadline is weds at 5 pm, but the website will be super slow because of all of youse procrastinators, so do it now!

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
True, I'm really just wondering cost-wise.  ¥5,500 is not exactly cheap and I'm kind of tight on money at the moment...  I've already registered an account, I guess I'll give it until the end of the day to think about.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
If you're reasonably sure you'd pass the N5 but think you have a shot at N4, I say go for the N4. It gives you a target, but even if you don't get it, it gives you valuable experience and knowledge of what the test is really like. Taking the N5 won't be as good an indicator of what you need to practice in order to get a good N4 score, yknow? And there is always the chance that you can actually pass N4 on the first try, in which case it'd be pretty silly to bother with N5.

As far as waiting until N3/N2... my inclination is to say go for the N4 anyway. You don't know what your schedule will be like next year or whenever you want to take the N3 and you don't know if you'll be able to study well for it. I think it's good to get one under your belt, make sure you've got a certification at all, and then go for the higher level. That's why I took the N5 even though I'm planning on taking N4 in July.

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
Yeah I'm unsure about going for it, seems a bit of a waste of money even assuming I beat the huge odds and manage to guess some answers right (the listening part is just impossible!).
 Sure, gives me a target...but I already have that and I need to spend money on a target? I guess it shows me what the exam is like in case I ever manage to catch up and take a worthwhile level, that could be useful. But.....hmm
I've already signed up, just left the payment hanging whilst I agonise.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:05:18 PM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
To be perfectly honest and blunt, if you think 5000 yen is expensive for an academic test then it clearly isn't important to you and you probably shouldn't bother taking it. 5000 yen isn't exactly "cheap", but it's completely manageable and there is always someone around willing to shoot you money for a week or two. I've spent a lot more on much less.

It's the same with university - I paid a shitload of money for an otherwise useless degree, not because I wanted a job but because I wanted to learn. I don't feel like it was "a waste". I got out of it what I put into it, the same with everything else in life.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
Yeah I'm unsure about going for it, seems a bit of a waste of money even assuming I beat the huge odds and manage to guess some answers right (the listening part is just impossible!).
 Sure, gives me a target...but I already have that and I need to spend money on a target? I guess it shows me what the exam is like in case I ever manage to catch up and take a worthwhile level, that could be useful. But.....hmm
I've already signed up, just left the payment hanging whilst I agonise.

I guess it depends on what you want the JLPT for. Are you going to use certification from the JLPT in a future job or school application? Will you need Japanese as a demonstrable skill? If that's the case I think it's worth the investment. But if your pursuit of Japanese is more of a personal one and you only want it to use while you're on JET, it may not be worth it.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:10 PM »
If you need to borrow the cash , send me a PM

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
I'm late on registration, but is there a testing in Kofu or do we go to Tokyo for it?

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
I wondered about it because when selecting testing sites it only gave kanto, and Yamanashi isn't actually in that region  :-o Which one should I choose?

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
Yeah, they use a super strange system on that site, I had to look up what koshin was, first I've heard it.

I guess it depends on what you want the JLPT for. Are you going to use certification from the JLPT in a future job or school application? Will you need Japanese as a demonstrable skill? If that's the case I think it's worth the investment. But if your pursuit of Japanese is more of a personal one and you only want it to use while you're on JET, it may not be worth it.
I would like to get a proper usable JLPT certification somewhere down the line. At the moment though I'm just around level 4 which isn't so useful.  Unsure if I'd be able to pass it even- I could do the written part I think, especially if I study to the syallabus, the listening part though...even level 5 might be a challenge if I don't get drunk before hand.
I might take the exam to see what its like and hope my breakthrough (its gotta come someday....haway....) comes before the next chance when I can take the somewhat useful 3. But then failing 4 would be a bit of a kick in the nads....
hmmdy hmmdy.

To visualise my confusion, here is a dog:

毒食らわば皿まで