Author Topic: JLPT DECEMBER 2 SUNDAY  (Read 11615 times)

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Re: JLPT DECEMBER 2 SUNDAY
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »
Don't choose Kanto - they will put you in Tokyo if you do that.... Yamanashi isnt Kanto it is Koshin

Thanks for this-- I was so confused when I got the error message saying the testing site was too far away from me and Chubu wasn't an option.

Just registered to take N3 and am gonna pay the fee after school. If anyone around Fujiyoshida would like to be my study buddy, just let me know.
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
How many Kanji do you know?  I just took N3 in July and I am currently learning 4th grade Kanji   ( I have decided to follow the traditional Japanese levels for learning Kanji)  So I know approximately 500 kanji..... I passed N3 but it was NOT with flying colors. 

i guess this is a pretty late response, but in respect to studying for the JLPTs, i think using the japanese levels is going to run you into quite a few kanji that wont be on the tests. (maybe this is untrue for the lower levels)  If you are running out of time and want to pass, i dont think id recommend this.  if you just want to get better then its a good way with many materials available.

there used to be a facebook app called kanji box, which was pretty decent for JLPT level stuff, because it was created with the same database.  gave a nice stat page too.  idk if its still there though.  its based on the old levels also, i think.

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
forgot to mention..

TODAY IS THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION and PAYMENT.

there are no exceptions. I'm paying today since it slipped my mind.
get down to the combini asap, people.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

there are no exceptions.

The website says tomorrow at 5 PM. So, I guess there is one exception?

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »

there are no exceptions.

The website says tomorrow at 5 PM. So, I guess there is one exception?

lol I ;laughed when I read that. But the e-mail I got from myjltp reads:
The Due Date of Payment        :  October 02, 2012
Your test fee payment is not confirmed as of September 25, 2012.

If the the test fee payment is overdue, your application will be cancelled.
Please pay the fee by October 02, 2012.

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
It's possible they just picked the 2nd arbitrarily since I registered so late to automatically weed out accounts that were registered and not paid for after 2 weeks for people who just sign up on a whim.

Also, not related to payment:

I bought the official JLTP U-CAN N3 Test as well as the corresponding Kanji Book last year. I never really used the book because it's literally just a mock test with all the sections, including a CD and scantron sheets at the back (when, at the time I was looking for a more traditional textbook). The back half of the book provides all the answers with detailed explanations for why. The book is written in Japanese, English and Korean. I used the kanji one a bit, but I didn't know how to properly use the actual mock test. They refer to it as a "workbook", but I don't think it's a workbook at all. Not knowing how to use it, I gave it to a teacher I'm close with and asked her to look through it (while I steamroll through the intermediate CLAIR workbooks) and advise me how to make use of it.

1) She came back with it today and told me that there was a lot of different information they were testing on, but the most ubiquitous variable throughout the test were conjunctions and adverbs. She advised me if I was prepping for the test to spend the majority of my time learning as many as possible, try to pick up as many kanji as possible (while learning conjunctions) and just give it my best shot.

(I didn't really know what she meant by adverbs and conjunctions, but these are things like "~~node" or "dakedo". I was kind of relieved by this, because while I don't know all of the conjunctions, I do know several (they're most important in oral communication) and they're fairly easy to learn. I feel more confident.

2) I had told her I didn't know if I should use the practice test now, or use it after I'd exhausted other materials to get an idea of how I might perform at the 11th hour. We concluded that I should make several copies of the scantron and answer grids and try doing the test multiple times over the next couple months. So! if anyone else is studying for the N3 (or possibly N2) and wants to borrow the book + CD and be given answer sheets to test themselves, just let me know and we can set that up. I'm going to make several copies of the test today.

2.5) If anyone wants to spend an afternoon doing the test as a group, that would be awesome. Sometime toward the middle of November if a few people want to find a way to have a sit-in for a couple hours and do an actual mock test and then grade each other's work than that would be awesome. (Biggest problem would be the audio portion).

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
Even if you don't need the certification for future employment or school applications, taking the JLPT does provide you with a tangible goal to work towards while preparing for the exam.  It may not help with your speaking ability, but your understanding of kanji and conversational comprehension is bound to improve whether you pass or fail.  I think that alone makes the test worth taking.  I kinda wish I applied for N2 because it would have forced me to take kanji studying more seriously  I'm paying the price for that now in grad school  :(

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
you should buy more mock tests.   if you find that you start taking the test and dont konw the majority of the answers then yea, just go back to studying.  if feel like you have a reasonable idea of what you are doing, take the test and check it.  if you did reasonably good you will need a new test.  or a least a book with questions designed the same way the test is. 

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
Even if you don't need the certification for future employment or school applications, taking the JLPT does provide you with a tangible goal to work towards while preparing for the exam.  It may not help with your speaking ability, but your understanding of kanji and conversational comprehension is bound to improve whether you pass or fail.  I think that alone makes the test worth taking.  I kinda wish I applied for N2 because it would have forced me to take kanji studying more seriously  I'm paying the price for that now in grad school  :(

N3 ain't high enough huh? Do you think they're gonna have you up to N1 by the end?

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
I am up for a study group! n3... I also have a couple study books with quizes we can take...maybe meet up perhaps weekly or every other week?
B

Offline Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Anybody taking the N4 who'd like to have a study group?  I have typical Eikaiwa hours, so it'd probably have to be on the weekend.

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »

N3 ain't high enough huh? Do you think they're gonna have you up to N1 by the end?

probably around n2 maybe a little higher, in terms of reading.  Speaking, not so much

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
All you JLPT takers:

Good luck on your last week of study, and がんばって on Sunday!
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
A little late, but you can do language exchange on The Mixxer (linked through Tae Kim's learn Japanese site.).

Sorry I forgot to post this earlier.  Good Luck all!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
For those testing in Kofu this Sunday, where is the best place to park cars? My test voucher said we were not allowed to park on campus, but it looked more like a default statement instead of true  :-P

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
For those testing in Kofu this Sunday, where is the best place to park cars? My test voucher said we were not allowed to park on campus, but it looked more like a default statement instead of true  :-P

ive never driven a car there, so im not that in tune to the situation, but it certainly seems like the voucher is not lying.  i cant think of any place to park..but im sure theres at least one place.

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
On that road that goes past the university (140?) there's some parking lots across from the campus... I remember Mikuni parked there last year. I'm not sure if you're supposed to or not, but nothing happened.

If not you can just park at higashiyamanashi station and take the train to sakaori, even though you're not supposed to park at higashiyamanashi station haha but nobody checks on the weekends.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
the parking lot across from campus is for the apartment building or admin buildings, I think...expect to be ticketed.  There are some pay lots around the area, probably best to use those.  Or ride your bike/take the train/bus.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.