Author Topic: Our internet SUCKS! Suggestions on new providers?  (Read 908 times)

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Our internet SUCKS! Suggestions on new providers?
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Like the subject says, my darling husband and I, LordPox (Seriously, Loren? I'm married to LordPox??) absolutely hate the internet at our apartment. When I first got here, I was really desperate to have internet at home, so I went with what I was thought was the best and fastest option and got a pocket WiFi from AU when I got my phone. It used to work okay, but it's gotten ridiculously slow lately (maybe because there are now two people using it instead of one), and now, when we sit down at night to watch the next episode of Breaking Bad, the video cuts off for about 5 minutes at a time, turning what should be a 50 minute episode into a 1.5 hour viewing session. Super annoying.

I've already tried to explain to AU that it's slow and we want faster internet, but according to them, there's nothing they can do. So, my questions are: Can anyone suggest a faster ISP? Is there anything AU can actually do to make it faster? Does anyone know if you can cancel an internet contract with AU if we find a better provider?

FYI: In case anyone is curious-- yes, we've tried turning on/off the router and switching modes when it gets really slow, but it usually doesn't help. Just wanted to throw that out there in case folks have troubleshooting advice!
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: Our internet SUCKS! Suggestions on new providers?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
Im on ADSL thru NTT.  Its the best you will get in our building.  We are not wired for fiberoptic and the Kencho will not allow NTT to set it up.  ADSL is your best bet here, but I will say, its pretty good.  Streaming and skype and whatnot is good.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
Nick had gotten a similar deal for his internet via Softbank when he first got here and after he explained it was really too slow in his area, they agreed to cancel the contract for his internet.  He kept his phone with them, though.  If you tell them you're willing to keep the phone contract but cancel the home wifi thing, they might be willing to work with you.

Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »
I went with CCNet and got their best deal. Highest speed possible for 4200 per month. I'm about 90% satisfied with it. Only reason I'm not is because my internet crashes often, but resetting the router fixes it. Just a pain. I figured maybe things would change when I got wireless, but the problem is consistent. I don't think it's the internet so much as the router or possibly my computer tho. The speed is marvelous.

Also, I noticed a cord on my router was broken and I called them on a Sunday afternoon to come fix it. They told me they didn't normally send people out on weekends but they'd call up the guys and see what was up. Within 20 minutes a team was at my apartment and replaced the cord and re installed my router in about 15 minutes and there was no charge.

Pros:
Super fast (NTT only offered ADSL. I don't know what I have, but it's faster than that from what I was told)
Free and timely maintenance

Cons:
Apartment was prewired for NTT from the past tenant, so I had to pay the installation fee (around 1man, although they charge more for more difficult installations)
Router needs to be reset often, but that may not be a problem with a better router and a decent computer (I'm using a 3.5 year old netbook).

If you're looking into getting your internet changed or set up, trust me on this, there are tons of back-alley deals or mail-in-rebates and lucrative promotional offers.... but if you're like me and you don't like the headache, tell your supervisor at your school politely that you're not satisfied with your internet and you were wondering if she/he could do a quick check on your options. My supervisor called my builder superintendent to ask what their policy was, then checked the websites for the current offers. He came back to me within 20 minutes and showed me them both side-by-side and I just chose. It wasn't a hassle for him really, and neither was it for me.

I waited 6+ months after I got here to get internet set up in my place specifically because I didn't want the headache of endless paperwork, didn't want to do some weird mail-in-rebate thing and a few people were giving me the runaround. K.I.S.S (Keep it simple, silly).  I don't regret my decision at all - even if I could have saved a bit of money, it literally took a 5 minute conversation and I was done and that was worth money I could have saved elsewhere.

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, gang!

Coleman: Let's talk about ADSL. I'm pretty sure anything else is better than what we have at this point.

We discovered last night that speeds improve slightly when one of us disconnects from the wireless, but not by much. I'll try and chat with the supervisor who took me to AU and see if he might be able to help set something new up/cancel just the internet but not our phones.
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Mr. Cartmanez

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
  • Linguo *is* dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
We've got a pocket wifi from AU as well, and it's reasonably fast. In general we have 4 wireless devices connected at any given time.  For streaming media, we usually let episodes build a buffer for a few minutes before we commence watching. Still, the speed does drop on very rare occasions.

Also, I've found that keeping it near a window does help boost the signal. Maybe something to try before going through the rigamarole of contract cancellation.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:11:46 AM by Mr. Cartmanez »
Too much of a good thing ain't so good.

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
I'm not sure if this is even applicable, but it sounds like you are using wifi inside your apartment for streaming yes?  Ever thought of just getting a really, really long ethernet cable and staying wired in?  I have 3-4 of them running around my house and have them connected to the walls.  Kind of an eye-sore at first, but you get used to it and it definitely helped me with speed issues.