Author Topic: jobs  (Read 797 times)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
jobs
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Anyone happen to know of any good lesson plans/ideas for a jobs lesson?
I've got maybe half an hour sorted with learning the stuff but when it comes down to a fun activity part I'm rather stumped. My google skills are failing me too- searching for esl jobs, even with other stuff thrown in, of course throws up stuff related to actually getting employed teaching.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
does it have to be tied to a grammar point? 

also what is the list of jobs?  i kinda have an idea, but need a list before i can proplerly materialize it. 

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
Make a jobs "dictionary" sheet just pics with lines under them... have them write the japanese definition, tie it to the phrase, or TL "What does "___" mean in English"  or "How doe you say_____in Japanese"

Then give each group a deck of jobs cards have them do gestures.  Aslo you coulod have them in 2 teams lined up, and they guess YOUR gestures...
this worked well in my HS, but I continued the month with writing resumes, abilities and then finally an interview test / job interview in English using their "resumes"

Lessons for a month and a half SOLVED!
I'll send you the worksheets this weekend.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
does it have to be tied to a grammar point?

also what is the list of jobs?  i kinda have an idea, but need a list before i can proplerly materialize it. 

No list set in stone, at the moment I just a general mix of the common, the useful and the interesting but I can add whatever.
And no, doesn't have to be tied to any grammar, more of just a vocabulary focussed lesson.

Last year we did a short activity where the students were given a card with the name of a job on it and then a list of problems and they had to go around the other students and do a little dialogue to try and match (i.e. "I can't see, arghh!", "Oh, dude, I can help with that yo, optician over here"). But...kinda lame even to begin with and have done that sort of thing too much already. We had other stuff to bulk out the lesson with last year too....
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
if its just vocabulary, ive played a game in elementary school where they each get three random cards (witha picture of a profession), and have to collect 3 of the same card to become the prefoeesion.  they just play janken and the winner trades a card of choice with the losers card if they have one of what they want to be.  its written specifically on englipedia. 

but i was also thinking you could do like a guessing game, where they cant ask the profession of the other students directly, but they can ask their intrests to narrow it down and guess.  then guess at their group of peoples professions and see who got the closest to everyones written professions.  thats a pretty vague explaination but do you somewhat see what i mean?  you would have to decide the professions and maybe limit the questions, or make a set of acceptable questions. 

something like..

do you like nature?
are you interested in science?
are you a sports fan?

then maybe they could guess the person to be a doctor, or biologist or something.

or you could limit them to something like 3 questions per person, and just say they cant say "what" questions...

does this make any sense?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:50:49 AM by jesse »

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Like this thingy I managed to come across?

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/elt/products/cweletrpii.pdf
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
quite similar. 

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
I've used occupation crosswords and such in the past. They are on the ESL wedsites.  Went over the vocab, did the crossoword, had the kids chose a profession and also write about how to become said profession - i.e. college or trade work or company they could apply to.

To be a __________ I need to ___________. 
It will take _________ years. 
I will earn ___________ yen each month. 
I think it will be fun because _________________________.